Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Driving in Oz vs Ireland

Options
  • 01-09-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭

Hi

Anyone got any average costs of havin a car in Oz?

Tax
    Insurance
    Petrol

Also, im headin for 10 months on a WHV, should I be ok drivin on my Full Irish License?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

For the fuel prices check out

http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/ & http://www.fuelwatch.wa.gov.au/

As for Tax and insurance take a look at one the pages we have might help

Vehicle Registration costs Australia

Car prices take a look at www.carsale.com.au to give you a rough idea

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I drive a 1.6l Hyundai Accent - rego is about $300 for the year, insurance is less than a grand fully comp, and i'd never say more than $1.25 for a litre of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

in sydney you can gert petrol for around the $1.08-112.0 during the week and between $123.0-130.0 on the weekends , i drive a ford festiva and it costs me about $25 to fill the tank , dirt cheap compared to ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Sound, thanks!

Is there an Oz equiv of the NCT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

unreggd wrote: »
    Sound, thanks!

Is there an Oz equiv of the NCT?

Yes its called a road worthy , if the car has rego it pretty much has roadworthy.

Chances are anything you buy will be fine. Cars are not cheap however expect to pay a lot for anything decent that should give you no trouble.

If you can afford it, buy a car on LPG gas as it 50 cent a litre approx and a lot cheaper to run , but more expensive to buy and service.

Your Irish licence is fine.

Insurance = If your car is a heap dont bother , rego covers it.

Rego = depends on the car both my Falcons are about 700 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Zambia232 wrote: »

Insurance = If your car is a heap dont bother , rego covers it.

Rego = depends on the car both my Falcons are about 700 each.

Am I right in saying that rego only covers third party medical expenses?

In that case would it not be advisable to take out third party insurance, regardless of the condition of your own vehicle, to cover damage to other vehicles in an accident in which you are at fault?..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

s.c wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that rego only covers third party medical expenses?

In that case would it not be advisable to take out third party insurance, regardless of the condition of your own vehicle, to cover damage to other vehicles in an accident in which you are at fault?..

Correct! if you can afford to, then get insurance, its the responsible thing to do, however we never bothered, just made a concious effort to be extra careful and always below the spped limit.....
    Foolproof :eek:
    (joking)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Doop wrote: »
    Correct! if you can afford to, then get insurance, its the responsible thing to do, however we never bothered, just made a concious effort to be extra careful and always below the spped limit.....
    Foolproof :eek:
    (joking)

Does rego only cover the person the car is registered to or does it cover anybody eligible to drive in Australia, as in anyone with an accepted driving licence?..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

In my opinion, anyone who drives in Australia without insurance is very foolish indeed, especially if they are a backpacker or traveller with no private health insurance.

In Victoria, your car registration fee includes the cost of compulsory third party (CTP) insurance via the TAC (Transport Accident Commission). This means that in case of an accident where you're the drive at fault, the TAC will cover the medical and rehabilitation costs of a third party involved in the accident.

In other states, you have to take out compulsory third party insurance at the same time as you pay the rego on the car - but as I don't live in them, I'm not 100% clear on how that works, so you'll need to look it up depending on what state you will live in and where the car is registered. It is illegal to drive in Australia without CTP, though, so you have to buy it wherever you're living, whether it's included in the rego already or the car is still covered from when the rego was renewed. In Australia, you insure cars, not people - so it's not like in the UK or Ireland, where if you have fully comp insurance you can drive any car with some level of cover depending on your policy.

Compulsory third party insurance in Australia is NOT the same as third party cover in Britain or Ireland.

In Victoria, the compulsory third party insurance provided by the TAC and included in your car registration fee does not cover the cost of damage to your vehicle, damage to the vehicle you hit, other property damage, or any costs relating to your own medical treatment.

The TAC won't pay out for you if you're the cause of the accident. They may help you out if your accident is the result of a mechanical failure for instance, but if you're speeding and lose it on a corner, you're on your own.

On top of that, in the state of Victoria, ambulances are not free. There is a cost related in the use of an ambulance, even if someone has called 000 at the scene of an accident for you while you're unconscious. When you come around in hospital you may find yourself liable for a bill of up to $1,000 - or more! - for the ambo that took you to A&E, even if the reciprocal agreement between Ireland and Australia will cover your medical fees in the hospital itself. (God help you if you're airlifted - because other than the obvious that you're very badly injured, the fee for the air ambo is a few thousand.)

Insurance isn't expensive down here, and it's worth it.

Advertisement