Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Constitution

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

As regards the Constitution being outdated, it has been noted by the Supreme Court (McGee v Attorney General) that "It is but natural that from time to time the prevailing ideas of these virtues may be conditioned by the passage of time; no interpretation is intended to be final for all time."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Anyone else find the second voting and Brian Cowen and his administration's backing on the yes vote of the Lisbon Treaty terribly unconstitutional? Law Student here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

PomBear wrote: »
    Anyone else find the second voting and Brian Cowen and his administration's backing on the yes vote of the Lisbon Treaty terribly unconstitutional? Law Student here

No. Law graduate here.

prinz wrote: »
    No. Law graduate here.

if funding and media time (constitutionally) should be equal. shouldn't the current administrations considering their influence?

if funding and media time (constitutionally) should be equal. shouldn't the current administrations considering their influence?

What's the question :confused:

Edit: I think you're mixing up the Referedum Commission and the Government. Saying the government should be equally disposed to both sides is about as useful as saying Libertas should be equal to both sides.

• Advertisement

What's the question :confused:

Edit: I think you're mixing up the Referedum Commission and the Government. Saying the government should be equally disposed to both sides is about as useful as saying Libertas should be equal to both sides.

fair enough, but nothing has ever been said on the matter and with previous precedence on media airing and funding, would you not think they would thhink the same of leading political leaders saying the Irish voted wrong?

With that, and the re-vote, do you not think thats terribly undemocratic?

fair enough, but nothing has ever been said on the matter and with previous precedence on media airing and funding, would you not think they would thhink the same of leading political leaders saying the Irish voted wrong?

No, apples and oranges tbh. We elect polticians based upon a platform. They represent that agenda. For some people FF represent a particular viewpoint and may be influenced by that, similarly someone else may be subjected to the same influence by a party opposed to something. If you find the section in the Constitution which renders it unconstitutional for a particular politician to make a political viewpoint known, let me know. What is your opinion on leading political leaders saying the Irish voted right by the way? Your very wording screams that you are approaching this from an angle. So again, if you have any Constitutionalor legal basis for your complaint let me know.
    With that, and the re-vote, do you not think thats terribly undemocratic?

No. What I would see as undemocratic would be the people we elect to make decisions and opine on what's best for the country not being allowed to make a decision/offer an opinion on what's best for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The church and the constitution Woo there is no place for the church~!

Same old lines no new discussion!

Next thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Long Onion wrote: »

Have you read it? I reckon that everyone should from time to time, it touches all aspects of our lives. On a recent reading the following occured to me;

Yes, as part of a Third Level project, but more from a political perspective, not a bone fide legal one. I am trying here, however, to analyse it from an apolitical perspective as much as I can. :o
    The Preamble:[/LEFT]
    In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,
    We, the people of Éire,
    Humbly acknowledging all our obligations to our Divine Lord, Jesus Christ, Who sustained our fathers through centuries of trial,
    Gratefully remembering their heroic and unremitting struggle to regain the rightful independence of our Nation,
    And seeking to promote the common good, with due observance of Prudence, Justice and Charity, so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, true social order attained, the unity of our country restored, and concord established with other nations,
    Do hereby adopt, enact, and give to ourselves this Constitution.
    Does this mention of the catholic religion have any place in the Constitution anymore?

I think this is generally regarded as an ode to God and not catholocism per se, and nothing more. Am i right in saying this?

Didn't the post-Apartheid South African government use Bunreacht as a template for their new constitution? If so, it would suggest that it is a fine example of a 'water-tight constitution' - as mentioned before.

However, it is generally perceived that Bunreacht falls short in referring to the explicit rights of certain vulnerable groups of society i.e. gender equality, rights of the child, elderly and disabled.

It is interesting that questions re the Irish media have come up here - that's another area that Bunreacht could be said to be weak in clarifying.

Some of the above issues are clarified explicitly by the EU's Charter of Fundamental Rights, which will only become legally binding if Lisbon is passed.

Not trying to stir a Lisbon free-for-all here. Just think this is a good way of assessing where Bunreacht is at the moment, and where it could potentially be improved.

Anyway, I believe (not qualified legal opinion) that if the EU Charter of Fundamental rights becomes a legally-binding document, the Irish court may come under some difficulty in relation to issues regarding home affairs and domestic security -

The EU Charter explicitly identifies the right to asylum under conditions of the Geneva Convention (A.18) and also identifies the right of EU citizens to move freely within the EU’s boundaries (A.45). These provisions could make it more difficult for the Irish government, through the processes of the Irish Court, to deport asylum seekers or to refuse entry to other EU citizens.

In its equality provision, unlike Bunreacht no hEireann, the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights gives special emphasis to equality between men and women, the rights of the child, the elderly and the disabled (A.23-26). If it is felt that certain rights are being denied, the adoption of this charter could result in the respective groups being given an added leverage to their claims for equal rights within the Irish Court.

It is also explicitly stated in the EU Charter that the freedom and pluralism of the media shall be respected (A.11.2). This provision could potentially influence libel and defamation cases against sections of the Irish media. It could also be argued that this provision could give the Irish media more freedom with regards to their content, that could potentially be detrimental to the social and moral considerations made explicit in Bunreacht na hEireann (A.40.1).

Would the Blasphemy Bill be open to legal challenge on the above grounds?

However the key caveat of all the above is that it is subject to the respective national laws of each individual.

Another interesting point is that the word 'neutrality' is not referred to even once in Bunreacht, contrary to popular belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    1st class hons in law here.

As noted by Prinz, this is one of the foundations of our law. Judicial precendent. It is not unclear. All judges are bound by previous decisions. They are not conflicting. They are complimentary. Each elaborates on the preceding body of case law.

You sir, could not be more wrong.

You would know, if you had read caselaw, that all decisions are based on the numbered articles of the Constitution. No decision is based on the preamble. It does not form part of the legal text.

Well done on your first class hons sir, no doubt the only such mark handed out that year, it obviously makes you brilliant.:rolleyes:
    Are you honestly saing to me that there have been no conflicting judgements passed on matters constitutional since the drafting of the constitution?

In relation to the preamble issue, note the comments by O'Byrne J, in Buckley v AG [1950] IR 67

"These most laudable objects [expressed in the preamble] seem to us to inform the various Articles of the Constitution, and we are of the opinion that, so far as possible, the Constitution should be so construed as to give them life and reality" [1950] IR 67 at 80

and Budd J, in McGee v Attorney General [1974] IR 284 at 322

"When the Preamble to the Constitution seeks of seeking to promote the common good by the observance of prudence, justice and charity so that the dignity and freedom of the individual may be assured, it must surely inform those charged with its construction as to the mode of applications of its Articles"

The State(Burke) v Lennon [1940] IR 136 at 155

" The Constitution with its most impressive Preamble, is the Charter of the Irish People and I will not whittle it away" Gavan Duffy J,

McGee v Attorney General once more per Henchy J,

"condemning the plaintiff and her husband to a way of life which, at best, will be fraught with worry, tension and uncertainty ... And this is in the contect of a Constitution which in its Preamble proclaims as one of its aims the dignity and freedom of the individual"

Whilst no decision has been made solely on the grounds of the preamble itself, a huge number of decisions have been made by applying interpretation to the words of the text, it seems clear that in many cases, the wording of the preamble has been informative when it comes to the interpretation itself.

If you are really serious about the fact that precedent is at all times complimentary and not, as I have argued, capable of producing conflict could you explain why Literal Interpretation, The Doctrine of Harmonious Interpretation, the 'broad' approach, the historical approach and the 'natural law' approach have all been used and indeed criticised in judicial interpretation.

Kelly himself goes on to say

"One needs to emphasise, however, that the courts have shown no consistency with regard to any particular approach and this gives rise to the suspicion that individual judges are willing to rely on any such approach as will offer adventitious support for a conclusion which they have already reached."

Prinz, could you elaborate on your earlier comment re civil v common law and me missing the first class? Are you tring to state that common law should not have to be clear and precise nor accord with teh basic principle of the rule of law?

• Advertisement

No. Its fine. A constitution is only as good as the the Constitutional Courts interpretation. No text is set in stone, it evolves with the times as the Courts give new judgements and offer elaborations on the text
    legal texts have to be precise. they can't be vague and ambiguous just so that you can understand it more easily.

:confused:

Well done on your first class hons sir, no doubt the only such mark handed out that year, it obviously makes you brilliant.:rolleyes:

Well it's pretty obvious you don't have one as you seem to have difficulties in grasping the basics here.
    Are you honestly saing to me that there have been no conflicting judgements passed on matters constitutional since the drafting of the constitution?

No that's not what he said.
    Prinz, could you elaborate on your earlier comment re civil v common law and me missing the first class? Are you tring to state that common law should not have to be clear and precise nor accord with teh basic principle of the rule of law?

Ireland is a common law jurisdiction, therefore your claim that all laws be "clear and precise", updated to suit the times etc doesn't apply here in the context of the Constitution. The Constitution is open to interpretation subject to the facts of the case, appeal, or amendment before the courts. We do not live in a Civil Law jursidiction where the law is the law as it is written ( clear and precise I believe is how you'd put it ) and it is not open to interpretation on a case by case basis.

Therefore the Constitution is just as relevant today as it was in 1937. It does not need to be rewritten every 5 or 10 years to "update" it. Rewriting specific laws to allow for societal/technological... etc changes is something more prevalent in Civil Law countries, not ours. Enacting a new law is different.

Pretty simple really. The Constitution stands, it is there for anyone to read, and for the courts to interpret. A constantly evolving and changing Constitution is impossible. Just because it is open to interpretation does not make it vague or ambiguous.

So what did you study again? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

these are quoted out of context. one was speaking in the context of a short constitutional text which is reliant on interpreation. the other was in relation to european treaties, regulations, directive which seek to be as clear as possible so that there are no disparities throughout EU Member States (as, of course, the creation of a single european market is the goal and disparities can distort competition. or in this case the laws relate, in part, to lawmaking and procedure and certainty is necessary in these areas.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

The Irish Constitution was a groundbreaker in it;s day; De Valera found himself with a lower house which his party dominated, no upper house of legislature and a Free State Constitution that allowed amendment by the legislature.

This was a time of fascism, Nazism, Communism etc, and yet the 1937 Constitution is pretty damn good.

I'm just amazed at how progressive it was for the time;
    Guaranteeing personal rights, achknowledging how screwed up both unrestrained capitalism and communism were, primacy of Constitutional over statutary law (and only allowing the electorate to change it) religious freedom, balancing of powers etc etc.

All in all, I'm quite impressed with, albeit that aspects are obviously dated and need amendment. I'd be against a completely new Constitution as it'd be too open to abuse (I distrust the government/legislature to make a new one properly)

Well it's pretty obvious you don't have one as you seem to have difficulties in grasping the basics here.

I have no difficulty at all in grasping the basics, though I am beginning to think that the above comment could well be self-directed. All western democratic legal systems (both civil and common law) are established according to the general principles of the rule of law as discussed by, amongst others, Plato and Aristotle.

Over time they have been expanded upon and much debated, at the present, Western Democracies widely accept a number of essential principles including but not limited to the following;

Laws not be retrospective
    There be a separation of powers between the legislature and the Judiciary
    That Laws be clear and precise

The latter principle seems to be the one that is causing yourself and Zeek some problems, it is there to ensure that those governed by a given law are aware what is prohibited and what is allowed. This really is first principle stuff and I am a bit taken aback that you seem to think that this principle should appy only to civil law juisdictions. I am sure you will have to admit that this is a preposterous assertion.
    No that's not what he said.
    All judges are bound by previous decisions. They are not conflicting. They are complimentary. Each elaborates on the preceding body of case law.

This is exactly what he said.

Ireland is a common law jurisdiction, therefore your claim that all laws be "clear and precise", updated to suit the times etc doesn't apply here in the context of the Constitution.

As mentioned above, the principle regarding clarity of the law, should always apply. Why else would the judiciary pay such close heed to previous dicta?
    The Constitution is open to interpretation subject to the facts of the case, appeal, or amendment before the courts. We do not live in a Civil Law jursidiction where the law is the law as it is written ( clear and precise I believe is how you'd put it ) and it is not open to interpretation on a case by case basis.

Yet Zeek argued above that the French have utilised interpretation of their own constitution to draw an inference in the case of peer-to-peer data transmission? My whole point is that, as society continues to evolve and we encounter issues never envisaged by the drafters of the constitution, could there not be a point whereby a new constitutional document would aid clarity to a much greater degree than constant attempts to reconciliate previous decisions?
    Therefore the Constitution is just as relevant today as it was in 1937. It does not need to be rewritten every 5 or 10 years to "update" it

This is your opinion, personally, I believe that the fact that the Constitutional review group recommended some 100 changes, would seem to indicate that an updating is necessary and again that some parts have lost their relevance.
    Rewriting specific laws to allow for societal/technological... etc changes is something more prevalent in Civil Law countries, not ours. Enacting a new law is different.

So only Civil Law jurisdictions re-write laws to allow for changes, please defend this statement, I would be interested to hear.
    Pretty simple really. The Constitution stands, it is there for anyone to read, and for the courts to interpret. A constantly evolving and changing Constitution is impossible. Just because it is open to interpretation does not make it vague or ambiguous.

per Kelly " ... if an act with the protection of Article 28.3.3 purported to deprive an accused person of the right to be heard - would the courts assert jurisdiction to override the plain words of the Constitution (seeing that the Constitution is itself an item of positive law?) Again, in the very important area of equality and its converse, discrimination, although there have been about thirty cases in which the matter was of greater or lesser relevance, no firm criteria seem to have emerged. It must be admitted that these problems are largely the consequence of the loose and vague language of the Constitution itself, whose drafters never intended it to pass through the analytical machine which the post-1960 Supreme Court has become."
    So what did you study again? I'm confused.

Deal with my points, and I will dignify this queation with an answer.

these are quoted out of context. one was speaking in the context of a short constitutional text which is reliant on interpreation. the other was in relation to european treaties, regulations, directive which seek to be as clear as possible so that there are no disparities throughout EU Member States (as, of course, the creation of a single european market is the goal and disparities can distort competition. or in this case the laws relate, in part, to lawmaking and procedure and certainty is necessary in these areas.)

And what of situations where the two collide, say in, oh I dunno, maybe Constitutional Law in Ireland? You do not have the luxury of divorcing context just because in may happen to suit the given argument at the time.

P.S. I note that you have ignored my reply to your view on the Preamble. As you decided, bullishly and arrogantly, a) to presume that I was a 'layman', (due to the fact that I chose to frame a debate in a particular tone), b) that I had not in fact read Kelly, c) that I was only dealing with half of the material etc

Could you now have the decency to deal with my reply as it was adressed to you. You are not the only scholar to have attained a first, nor will you be the last. Your begining a post with this statement further highlights the arrogance contained in your first post on this thread. This is an all-too common trait amongst many of our legal practitioners.

I am very willing to defer to a greater knowledge, once it has been demonstrated, until then, I will continue to take offence at your, as yet unjustified, arrogance.

That Laws be clear and precise
    The latter principle seems to be the one that is causing yourself and Zeek some problems, it is there to ensure that those governed by a given law are aware what is prohibited and what is allowed. This really is first principle stuff and I am a bit taken aback that you seem to think that this principle should appy only to civil law juisdictions. I am sure you will have to admit that this is a preposterous assertion..

Er that's not what I said. I think you'll find that many people are not aware in a lot of cases of what is prohibited and what is allowed. People are more than entitled to go look up the law in this country therefore your 'principle' is applicable here. However any reading of various laws has to be tempered with the foundations of our legal system which means that the interpretation of a law may have been altered over time.

My point is that it is not as clear cut to say x is against the law here, as it may be in a civil law jurisdiction.
    Yet Zeek argued above that the French have utilised interpretation of their own constitution to draw an inference in the case of peer-to-peer data transmission? My whole point is that, as society continues to evolve and we encounter issues never envisaged by the drafters of the constitution, could there not be a point whereby a new constitutional document would aid clarity to a much greater degree than constant attempts to reconciliate previous decisions?..

IIRC cases which refer to the Constitution, are decided primarily on the court's understanding of the relevant article, subsection etc. Previous decisions may impact upon that but as you have shown yourself they are not strictly bound by previous interpretations. Therefore in the light of an evolved society the interpretation of certain elements may have changed, the court may see something, which wasn't applicable 20, or 30 years ago.
    This is your opinion, personally, I believe that the fact that the Constitutional review group recommended some 100 changes, would seem to indicate that an updating is necessary and again that some parts have lost their relevance..

That is your opinion... why don't you take a case and test your theory? Migh I ask as to which sections you believe have lost relevancy?
    So only Civil Law jurisdictions re-write laws to allow for changes, please defend this statement, I would be interested to hear.

More prevalent in....... not restricted to. Statement defended based on basic English.

Er that's not what I said.

But you did say this;
    Ireland is a common law jurisdiction, therefore your claim that all laws be "clear and precise", updated to suit the times etc doesn't apply here in the context of the Constitution.

Did you not?
    I think you'll find that many people are not aware in a lot of cases of what is prohibited and what is allowed. People are more than entitled to go look up the law in this country therefore your 'principle' is applicable here.

Much and all as I'd like to, I can't claim ownership of the rule of law principles, they have been developed since 350BC by men much greater than I could ever hope to be. There is a fundamental difference between failure to make oneself aware of the law, and unclear laws. The Former is no defence, the latter is no base for a modern Democratic society. Many of our laws are clear and precise, and many of the Articles of the Constitution equally so, some however have become hazy due to judicial re-interpretation using differing constructive theories.

Decisions in Norris, Pine Valley, Dublin Well Woman Centre, Keegan, Heaney and DG have been described as representing "self-inflicted and unnecessary judicial wounds where the Supreme Court fell into error and where another view of the Constitutional issues ... was clearly open." - Whyte & Hogan

However any reading of various laws has to be tempered with the foundations of our legal system which means that the interpretation of a law may have been altered over time.

My point is that it is not as clear cut to say x is against the law here, as it may be in a civil law jurisdiction.

I accept this, but am simply wondering if the possibilities for conflict could be reduced by a re-drafting of the Constitution more suited to the times in which we now live.
    IIRC cases which refer to the Constitution, are decided primarily on the court's understanding of the relevant article, subsection etc.

The Courts have moved away from the literal approach in terms of Constitutional interpretation and have in more recent times favoured the Broad Approach or the Docterine of 'harmonious' interpretation. To go further, quite independently of the incorporation of the European Convention by the 2003 Act, the practice of the courts interpreting the provisions of the Constitution by reference to the Convention itself or, the case law of the Europen Court itself is by now well established.

So now we have a situation where Common law approaches which are, what lend considerable support to the fluidity required to keep the Constitution organic, are now being tempered by decisions from Civil Law jurisdictions.
    Previous decisions may impact upon that but as you have shown yourself they are not strictly bound by previous interpretations. Therefore in the light of an evolved society the interpretation of certain elements may have changed, the court may see something, which wasn't applicable 20, or 30 years ago.

This comes back to my main point, if exactly the same case is taken to the courts today and in 30 years time, is it desireable that the outcome could be different, even if the law has not been altered, does this stray too close to judicial law making? A re-drafting of the text may remove this danger.

That is your opinion... why don't you take a case and test your theory?

I was really only interested in starting a general debate on the issue which, assumptions about my academic credentials aside, I am actually enjoying - my genuine thanks for this.
    Might I ask as to which sections you believe have lost relevancy?

I would believe that in light of a number of decisions, there is no longer a need for the reference to the Holy Trinity in the Preamble, I believe that basing rights on the family 'based on marriage' has lost it's relevance, the blasphemy reference is no longer warranted. The current position on the protection of the unborn child does nothing to accord with recent advances in genetics and medicine (stem cell research) and is certain to throw up anomalies in the near future. I also believe that the whole issue of unenumerated rights and how they sit within the current framework could greatly benefit froma an overhaul.
    More prevalent in....... not restricted to. Statement defended based on basic English.

You are quite right on this one defence acknowledged, though on this reading, I cannot see any significant salience to your point.

I accept this, but am simply wondering if the possibilities for conflict could be reduced by a re-drafting of the Constitution more suited to the times in which we now live....

Why not another redraft in 5 years time? And another in 2 years? etc. It becomes unworkable. Amendments yes, but a redraft of the whole thing, er Pandora's Box. You mentioned stem cell research etc that the Bunreacht didn't account for. What happens when you've got the new constitution drafted and some scientist makes another breakthrough, do we have to redraft again..
    This comes back to my main point, if exactly the same case is taken to the courts today and in 30 years time, is it desireable that the outcome could be different, even if the law has not been altered, does this stray too close to judicial law making? A re-drafting of the text may remove this danger...

Is it desirable that given changes in social standards, norms etc, that the outcome remain identical? That to me would be a far greater danger. People today being judged according to a 70 odd years old literal reading. I would much prefer a flexible approach by contemporary interpretation. There are still some laws in some places stemming from nigh on the Middle Ages, should these be imposed strictly today? If you want to go by the letter of the law and a strict interpretation etc. I would feel much safer with a judge having the option and ability to use discretion, common sense, and being able to judge the applicability and relevance of certain laws in a modern case.
    I was really only interested in starting a general debate on the issue which, assumptions about my academic credentials aside, I am actually enjoying - my genuine thanks for this..

I was genuinely interested in what you had studied. It's been a few years for me and I'm definitely rusty. I'm reading your posts here and I'm hearing names and terms which I haven't heard in a long time :D
    I would believe that in light of a number of decisions, there is no longer a need for the reference to the Holy Trinity in the Preamble, I believe that basing rights on the family 'based on marriage' has lost it's relevance, the blasphemy reference is no longer warranted. The current position on the protection of the unborn child does nothing to accord with recent advances in genetics and medicine (stem cell research) and is certain to throw up anomalies in the near future. I also believe that the whole issue of unenumerated rights and how they sit within the current framework could greatly benefit froma an overhaul.

IIRC things like this were identified as "social aspirations". Personally I believe there's every need for them ( apart from the Holy Trinity reference ). Of course these can be challenged and amended by the people. I would be far more cautious about a select group redrafting the constitution, as it would be almost impossible to vote upon, i.e. a referendum on every Article, section, subsection, wording etc. Therefore if you're not happy with something in the Constitution as it is, challenge it, and let the people decide.
    You are quite right on this one defence acknowledged, though on this reading, I cannot see any significant salience to your point.

You believe in writing and rewriting laws to keep them continually updated yes? Unfortunately that goes against the judicial system we have, and a radical overhaul of the whole thing would be needed. Personally I wouldn't mind a civil legal system. It's something I think of from time to time, in the light of ridiculous sentencing etc in recent times... I think of what could have been if Napoleon had had his way. I can see the benefits of both tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Yes, as part of a Third Level project, but more from a political perspective, not a bone fide legal one. I am trying here, however, to analyse it from an apolitical perspective as much as I can. :o

I think this is generally regarded as an ode to God and not catholocism per se, and nothing more. Am i right in saying this?

Didn't the post-Apartheid South African government use Bunreacht as a template for their new constitution? If so, it would suggest that it is a fine example of a 'water-tight constitution' - as mentioned before.

However, it is generally perceived that Bunreacht falls short in referring to the explicit rights of certain vulnerable groups of society i.e. gender equality, rights of the child, elderly and disabled.

It is interesting that questions re the Irish media have come up here - that's another area that Bunreacht could be said to be weak in clarifying.

Some of the above issues are clarified explicitly by the EU's Charter of Fundamental Rights, which will only become legally binding if Lisbon is passed.

Not trying to stir a Lisbon free-for-all here. Just think this is a good way of assessing where Bunreacht is at the moment, and where it could potentially be improved.

Anyway, I believe (not qualified legal opinion) that if the EU Charter of Fundamental rights becomes a legally-binding document, the Irish court may come under some difficulty in relation to issues regarding home affairs and domestic security -

The EU Charter explicitly identifies the right to asylum under conditions of the Geneva Convention (A.18) and also identifies the right of EU citizens to move freely within the EU’s boundaries (A.45). These provisions could make it more difficult for the Irish government, through the processes of the Irish Court, to deport asylum seekers or to refuse entry to other EU citizens.

In its equality provision, unlike Bunreacht no hEireann, the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights gives special emphasis to equality between men and women, the rights of the child, the elderly and the disabled (A.23-26). If it is felt that certain rights are being denied, the adoption of this charter could result in the respective groups being given an added leverage to their claims for equal rights within the Irish Court.

It is also explicitly stated in the EU Charter that the freedom and pluralism of the media shall be respected (A.11.2). This provision could potentially influence libel and defamation cases against sections of the Irish media. It could also be argued that this provision could give the Irish media more freedom with regards to their content, that could potentially be detrimental to the social and moral considerations made explicit in Bunreacht na hEireann (A.40.1).

Would the Blasphemy Bill be open to legal challenge on the above grounds?

However the key caveat of all the above is that it is subject to the respective national laws of each individual.

Another interesting point is that the word 'neutrality' is not referred to even once in Bunreacht, contrary to popular belief.

hi

with regard to the European Charter, in fairness, ireland is complying with Geneva and the European Union regulations regarding with the minium standards for refugee law - now, of course there is a lot of problems with how the irish system is based (transparency, qualification of decision makers etc) ECtHR cases have a lot of influence too. No one is prohibited (bar EU citizens - but that was an EU ruling) from entering this country and asking to apply for asylum. It then depends on the facts of the case whether its credible, plausible and falls within the very strict definition of refugee status. If a person is granted status in Ireland after this, they are allowed to apply for family reunification (you know this) Of course the huge problems is in the delay. Also Ireland, UK and Denmark have co opted out of one or two European legislation in relation to Thrid Nationals.

With regard to rights of EU citizen and freemovement, this is already protected in the Treaty and Directives like 2004 / 38 EC (and of course just as importance ECJ case law). Again, as seen in cases like Chen and Carpenter,Baumast, Metock and Jia the European Convention on Human Rights has influence and the premable of Directive 2004 / 38 EC expresses the aim to reduce all obstacles to the right to free movement.

As you know, an EU citizen's rights to reside in an EU country are not absolute and are conditional (Art 18 Treaty) on basis they comply with limitations and conditions ie - Directive 2004 /38 EC. If a person feels that their rights are being infringed they can freely make their complaints at the national courts and furture to the ECJ itself.

THe problem has not always being the laws itself, the problems as you know are often that members of member states have breached the laws despite clear (and sometimes unclear) provisions of EU law and ECHR - thus the need for the judiciary and vechiles like Judicial Review

I understand the difficulties Ireland have caused by implementing the ECHR into its own laws

but, genuinely, what new provisions and guarantees does the the Charter provide to current EU and ECHR and our domestic laws? Isn't most of these Charter provisions found elsewhere in European or other international law legislation? don't get me wrong, i would like to see the charter come in, but does it really make much difference? (noting that although items like the international covanent on social and political rights is signed by ireland, its not in our laws - thus need for charter?)

anyone with a brain knows that neutrality is not mentioned. Its was a national policy. even if, (jesus) we were to look at the defunct preamble it speaks of having good relationship with other countries - could that interpret helping them out in war?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Thanks for clarifying above issues
    I understand the difficulties Ireland have caused by implementing the ECHR into its own laws

but, genuinely, what new provisions and guarantees does the the Charter provide to current EU and ECHR and our domestic laws? Isn't most of these Charter provisions found elsewhere in European or other international law legislation? don't get me wrong, i would like to see the charter come in, but does it really make much difference? (noting that although items like the international covanent on social and political rights is signed by ireland, its not in our laws - thus need for charter?)

My taking is that it clarifies the rights of the citizen in a more explicit manner than Bunreacht, therefore becoming an important reference for future Irish-based ECJ challenges? Which could inversely lead to more challenges?
    anyone with a brain knows that neutrality is not mentioned.

You'd be surprised...lisbon ;)
    Its was a national policy. even if, (jesus) we were to look at the defunct preamble it speaks of having good relationship with other countries - could that interpret helping them out in war?

Exactly. Irish neutrality was always more of a national policy, if it could even be called that, rather than something legally-defined. Common sense always preceeded anything else (1939-45, 1969). Therefore a non-issue by today's standards, IMO.

Why not another redraft in 5 years time? And another in 2 years? etc. It becomes unworkable. Amendments yes, but a redraft of the whole thing, er Pandora's Box. You mentioned stem cell research etc that the Bunreacht didn't account for. What happens when you've got the new constitution drafted and some scientist makes another breakthrough, do we have to redraft again..

The only way a re-draft would work is if it were done well. It would involve applying the valuable casebook of Constitutional law built up since the original text was first released. Whether this would be possible in modern Ireland is another question, in reality, I doubt very much if there is the political or judicial will to do so.

This does not, however, mean that it would not be an option worth debating. There seems to me to be no concrete reason why modern Ireland would not be capable of drafting an equally impressive, yet more relevant text than the original drafters. We have learned many valuable lessons through the years.

Is it desirable that given changes in social standards, norms etc, that the outcome remain identical? That to me would be a far greater danger. People today being judged according to a 70 odd years old literal reading. I would much prefer a flexible approach by contemporary interpretation.

By and large, we ar arguing different sides of the same coin here. The literal approach to Constitutional interpretation has fallen from favour and a broader approach has been adopted, the precedent issue though has left a number of instances where previous dicta have been funged in a effort to arrive at the just conclusion. Whilst this is often the most equitable outcome, it does highlight continuing difficulties with Constitutional law in Ireland.
    There are still some laws in some places stemming from nigh on the Middle Ages, should these be imposed strictly today? If you want to go by the letter of the law and a strict interpretation etc. I would feel much safer with a judge having the option and ability to use discretion, common sense, and being able to judge the applicability and relevance of certain laws in a modern case.

I would also favour doing a clear out of the statute books at some point, I don't think this would be a bad thing. I am not a critic of the Common law approach per se I merely think that the unique social circumstances which formed the immediate background of the current text continue to hamper the judiciary from time to time as cases involving issues unthinkable by the original drafters arise. I am not saying that a re-draft would prevent this forevermore, but feel that we could put the older issues to bed for once and for all.

Whilst the text itself is just over 70 yrs old, the Catholic theology underpinning it pre-dates it by 2000 years, trying to reconcile this "spirit" which surfaces in numerous places throughout the text would be difficult to do without fundamentally altering its aims. If we were to go this far (which I feel we will in our lifetime) why not go that final step?
    I was genuinely interested in what you had studied. It's been a few years for me and I'm definitely rusty. I'm reading your posts here and I'm hearing names and terms which I haven't heard in a long time :D

I originally took this as being sarcastic, apologies if it wasn't meant this way. I have a primary degree in Politics, one in Marine Engineering (Don't ask!), a post grad in Law and have, this year returned to complete a Masters in Law, Technology & Governance. The evolution of law has always been of personal interest to me, though I doubt that I will ever know as much as I would like ty in this area. (p.s. I was fortunate enough to do very well in all but the engineering which I just scraped though, but I was only a young 'un then)
    IIRC things like this were identified as "social aspirations". Personally I believe there's every need for them (apart from the Holy Trinity reference). Of course these can be challenged and amended by the people. I would be far more cautious about a select group redrafting the constitution, as it would be almost impossible to vote upon, i.e. a referendum on every Article, section, subsection, wording etc. Therefore if you're not happy with something in the Constitution as it is, challenge it, and let the people decide.

Social aspirations are indeed, in my opinion, essential in the text of any Constitution, but certain aspirations could be deemed as universal and timeless (in Western Society anyway, Eastern attitudes to our ideas of essential rights is a whole other can of worms) I would welcome enumerated rights in many areas, but tying them to specific religious ideals is not ideal given changing attitudes to the Church.

Given the recent surge in 'patchwork' family structures, the civil partnership bill, is giving special protection to the family based on "marriage" still the best way to ensure judicial protection to the children of the state all of whom will be cherished equally? This is not to say that the rights I hold dear are the only ones worth considering, it would be a matter for national debate.

You believe in writing and rewriting laws to keep them continually updated yes? Unfortunately that goes against the judicial system we have, and a radical overhaul of the whole thing would be needed. Personally I wouldn't mind a civil legal system. It's something I think of from time to time, in the light of ridiculous sentencing etc in recent times... I think of what could have been if Napoleon had had his way. I can see the benefits of both tbh.

I too can see the benefits of both sides, and do not think that constant re-drafting would give any more certainty than we currently have, but trying, once every 30 years or so to improve on that which we have (with the benefit of hindsight & experience) may be worth considering. There are indeed many attractive features of Civil Law systems and of the Common Law also. Usually when looking at both sides of a debate, the best solution can be found at the mid-way point.

Given the law though, it seems that such a compromise between precedent and statute would lead to very muddy waters indeed, something which both excites and worries me as we become more closely enveloped in the EU. Interesting times lie ahead.

Thanks for clarifying above issues

My taking is that it clarifies the rights of the citizen in a more explicit manner than Bunreacht, therefore becoming an important reference for future Irish-based ECJ challenges? Which could inversely lead to more challenges?

You'd be surprised...lisbon ;)

Exactly. Irish neutrality was always more of a national policy, if it could even be called that, rather than something legally-defined. Common sense always preceeded anything else (1939-45, 1969). Therefore a non-issue by today's standards, IMO.

Naturally, you will use your own mind to take what you want out of the importance of the charter. please do not take my simple opinion as the final word (not that you would of course) - obviously the EU feel that there is a need for the charter - simply either i don't see the big deal about it or i have not appreciated the importance or it has not being explained to me, or i am simple ignorant to it. just my attitude is, we have many of these provisions at least in writing or in our case law to cover the principles. Its a case of interpretation. As you would fully accept and note from other posts, interpretations are not set in stone.

Yes, i see what you mean by your opinion of the importance of the charter regarding the constitution. fair and valid point. another example is often by reading the protocols from the ECHR which sometimes goes further that the articles or the UN Children's Convention. THe Internal Social and political covenant as you will be aware speaks alot about employment and social type matters and rights of family. but yes, if it was part of the EU treaty, agreed, it would greatly help a litigant before an irish court (along with the ECHR & its case law)

When you mentioned immigration matters, yes i do see where there would be huge influence, in particular the area relating to an EU citizen who is effectively exercising his / her rights to freemovement (in compliance with Directive 2004/38EC) and wishes for members of his / her family to be with him/her.

With regard to Neutrality, one could easily question whether or not this country in the past was actually neutral in the strict sense of the prinicple - A recent book of Jospeh Walshe - Secretary of the Dept of External Affairs, would be an interesting read into this area. Of course then there is the issue of eh, (say it quietely) Shannon.

actually, consider if the constitution actually stated in black and white, that the country was neutral, and imagine if, (since the topic is in the public sphere recently) Lynch and co decided to enter the north (ok, old art 2& 3 was there, but it could have led to a war with the auld John Bull) would some glance at the constitution be required in order to act? Surely in times of severe emergency (we are all aware that the constitution has being amended here on this point) there would be no time for dilly and dallying over whether an action is allowed by a document?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Given the heady responses to threads such as this, they seem, to me, to be wholly disproportionate to the p*ssy electoral turnouts time after time again in this country.
    Does everyone opining on this matter actually vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

The essential difference is that if Lisbon is ratified the Charter assumes more than its current advisory status. At present, EU law takes the Charter (or, rather, the ECHR) into account, but is not bound by it. You could not, therefore, currently use the argument that an EU regulation breaches your rights under the ECHR to have that regulation struck down - if the Charter assumes Treaty status as per Lisbon you could. Certainly there are various hedges and provisos in the Charter's definition of rights, but nevertheless, under Lisbon the Charter would assume the form of a judicable set of rights which could be used to strike down EU legislation.

Further, of course, the rights in Bunreacht, slim as they are, are irrelevant to EU law because of our protective amendment exempting EU law from constitutional challenge.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    The essential difference is that if Lisbon is ratified the Charter assumes more than its current advisory status. At present, EU law takes the Charter (or, rather, the ECHR) into account, but is not bound by it. You could not, therefore, currently use the argument that an EU regulation breaches your rights under the ECHR to have that regulation struck down - if the Charter assumes Treaty status as per Lisbon you could. Certainly there are various hedges and provisos in the Charter's definition of rights, but nevertheless, under Lisbon the Charter would assume the form of a judicable set of rights which could be used to strike down EU legislation.

Further, of course, the rights in Bunreacht, slim as they are, are irrelevant to EU law because of our protective amendment exempting EU law from constitutional challenge.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

thanks for the clarification. fair enough. so that gives the argument that europe is going down the fair and just route (or whatever other fancy wording) and not the money grabbing capitalists etc that some groups spout out or preceive the union to be?

it gives the people/applicants at the ECJ more real connection/participation with the union? could it assist an applicant further when they bring high court cases (assuming its an area of law where the eu has competence of course) and the judge decides to refer a preliminary case to the ECJ via article 234EC?

i note in cases like carpenter and chen (as you know free movement cases) where the ECJ brought in Article 8 to justify their decisions, some countries (looking on articles an example was denmark - where they or authors feared there was too much expansion on the free movement and was now going into a more general right) or eurosceptics went a bit loopy of what might be preceived as error (in light of ecthr cases like mahmood - spelling- one case which set out the criteria when considering family rights of non eu citizens under article 8) it would be great for some uniform and clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

thanks for the clarification. fair enough. so that gives the argument that europe is going down the fair and just route (or whatever other fancy wording) and not the money grabbing capitalists etc that some groups spout out or preceive the union to be?

It's quite balanced, I think. European governments in general perceive the need to allow business a certain amount of freedom while protecting workers and society generally from the more obnoxious side-effects of business freedom. So there's something of both in the way the EU is set up, and the treaties allow a degree of latitude each way that encompasses the degree of left-right variation in European politics. Of course, if you're outside that range, you're going to consider the EU either callous money-grubbing capitalism (as do the far left groups) or stifling corporatist statism (as do the far right groups and most of the US).

The fact that both the further left and the further right detest the EU is something I find comforting, since it suggests that the EU hasn't leant too far in either ideological direction.
    it gives the people/applicants at the ECJ more real connection/participation with the union? could it assist an applicant further when they bring high court cases (assuming its an area of law where the eu has competence of course) and the judge decides to refer a preliminary case to the ECJ via article 234EC?

Yes, it would - they're personal rights. Currently, you could take a case that EU data retention legislation infringed your right to privacy under the European Convention on Human Rights (the Charter's model) but the Court doesn't have to consider it applicable or binding - the Charter would be both applicable and binding.
    i note in cases like carpenter and chen (as you know free movement cases) where the ECJ brought in Article 8 to justify their decisions, some countries (looking on articles an example was denmark - where they or authors feared there was too much expansion on the free movement and was now going into a more general right) or eurosceptics went a bit loopy of what might be preceived as error (in light of ecthr cases like mahmood - spelling- one case which set out the criteria when considering family rights of non eu citizens under article 8) it would be great for some uniform and clarity.

I presume that for those who see the free movement of people within the EU as a threat, the Charter right to free movement (COFR 45: "Every citizen of the Union has the right to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States. ") will presumably be anathema. However, the main definition of the right of free movement will remain ECJ case law. The Treaties still don't define 'free movement' - it's actually a very good example of what happens when you don't pin things down with "a load of legalese".

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement