Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband advice needed

Options
  • 01-09-2009 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭

i am currently using the data modem from 3 mobile and have been happy with that up to now but i am now looking for faster wireless broadband so that i can start to watch live football streams.i cancelled my sky package as i couldn't justify paying for sky/setanta/espn for the football anymore,it's just WAY too expensive.
    if anyone could recommend a decent wireless broadband package to watch the football streams on without them freezing every couple of mins i'd really appreciate it.
    i live on blackhorse avenue in dublin 7....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Must it be wireless? If you're looking for portable broadband, that you can use outside your home, then HSDPA (mobile "broadband") is your only option. It might not be fast, or even broadband, but it's the only solution that offers full portability, at the moment.

If you OK with your broadband being fixed to your address as normal, then read on...

This is usually a decent wireless solution:
    http://www.irishbroadband.com/products_display.php?id=2
    (this 4Mb package seems to be their only one these days, strangely enough)

See if it's available (hopefully also you can get the antenna installed on your house/building):

http://www.irishbroadband.com/coveragecheck.php

If €55 a month is too expensive, then consider fixed line broadband from UPC, if available. No phone line rental required, and they are more reliable than Eircom and its bitstream re-sellers.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

When you say wireless broadband, is it a home wifi network you need, or do you want the broadband delivered by a wireless link (no cables coming into the home)? A home wifi network can be put on any kind of broadband, but it is NOT wireless broadband. Wireless broadband is something like Permanet, Metro, Breeze, etc.

I totally forgot about Digiweb. Still, if you can get a fixed line broadband package like ADSL, ADSL2+, or Cable from UPC, those are the more stable options. You'll stream your videos without buffering the majority of the time, but do note that no broadband option is perfect in this country, but those options are the best of them all.

Please let us know if you have a phone line or the ability to get UPC into your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

sorry,should have said,i don't have a phoneline and have no intention of getting one.
    i am looking for fast broadband internet without the phoneline.
    i see a lot of houses with the diamond shaped aeriel on a pole,i was thinking along the lines of something like that if it wasn't too expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I have Meteor Broadband "Togo" on billpay and its a disgrace. My connection constantly cuts out and download speed varies between 20 - 40kb/sec. Incredible considering I live about 2km from Grafton Street.

I'm bring it back on Saturday. Anyone have preference for the O2, Vodafone or 3 alternatives?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

con1982 wrote: »
    I'm bring it back on Saturday. Anyone have preference for the O2, Vodafone or 3 alternatives?

None of them are broadband, so don't fool yourself into thinking they are.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

ooter wrote: »
    sorry,should have said,i don't have a phoneline and have no intention of getting one.
    i am looking for fast broadband internet without the phoneline.
    i see a lot of houses with the diamond shaped aeriel on a pole,i was thinking along the lines of something like that if it wasn't too expensive...
    What about UPC? They'd be available across Dublin. Would your place have a link to them? If you can get their Digital TV in a house or an apartment, you can usually get their Broadband (provided it's in a Broadband cabled area).

There is no phone line and the most basic standalone package is only €28 a month without TV (3 Mbps down / 256 Kbps up), €22 a month added on with a TV package, and that's all you'll pay, no added rental bullsh1t. My parents have it where they live, and I can confirm that it's a lot more stable than my 3 Mbps ADSL connection. I'd switch over in a heartbeat, if I could, but they're cabled in Tralee.

Call them up on 1908, free of charge from any phone (ignore the automated system asking for your account number and keep waiting until you get options to choose from). If there's no option to speak to Sales, then opt for Customer Service and they'll most likely transfer you.

con1982 wrote: »
    I have Meteor Broadband "Togo" on billpay and its a disgrace. My connection constantly cuts out and download speed varies between 20 - 40kb/sec. Incredible considering I live about 2km from Grafton Street.

Bring it back, but it's hard to say if O2 or the rest of them would be any better. In some locations thay're OK, and in some others or most others, they're diabolical. One thing's for sure, they're never amazing.

Can you consider any fixed line options?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭ooter

i'm going to look in to the upc option,i already have basic cable with them so it shouldn't be a problem getting it installed.
    as for my 3 data modem,i have to say it's grand for normal web surfing.i've never had a problem with it.it's not great for watching youtube clips or for watching streams but apart from that i find it fine..

Advertisement