Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2-year old won't sleep

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DaisyBabe

delly wrote: »
    In fairness, thats an oversimplified view of matters. I am all for having a very busy day for my wee one, knowing that bedtime will be easier, but having to tire your child out everyday in order to fall over with tiredness isn't always possible. I think the OP is looking for a routine that that pickarooney jr. accepts and goes along with rather than sleeping by default as a reslt of a busy day.

Agreed, I'm all for routine but I like to keep it simple. We put our 18 month old to bed anywhere between 7.30pm & 8.30 pm but we take our signals from the wee one. When she looks tired up she pops - on occasion it could be 7pm or 9pm depending on activity level during the day. If the child isn't tired, routine & routine alone will not work.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm really not sure how we can get him doing more activities, but he's starting in the creche on the 17th so that might help a little bit. Other than that he spends a few hours every day in the park or at the pool with his mother and his group of friends.

I don't know if this kind of thing is really inherited but my mother told me I used only sleep about 7 or 8 hours at the same age. I used to just lie in bed awake though, so less hassle for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Two is a really difficult age for sleep. It's when kids suddenly start thinking there are monsters in the room, etc.

Have you tried Pzizz? It's a sleep program available for computer and iPhone. It uses music, sounds like sea, chimes, rain, etc, and soothing speech to bring on sleepiness - I think the musical tones are designed to invoke sleepiness.

It's originally designed for adults, but a lot of people use it successfully with babies and children. It's great for giving not just sleep but a good, deep quality of sleep. http://www.pzizz.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

that's really tough pickarooney:(

At the end of the day you can try all the different techniques in the book/ on the internet and you might hit on one that works with your child and you might not. With my eldest nothing worked until she got to an age where you could reason with her to an extent (3-ish). and believe me we tried absolutely everything. It just became a matter of doing whatever enabled us to survive (and dying the grey hairs). Once the youngest hit 7-8 months I never had any sleep problems with him. I didn't do anything different with them- they were just very different little people.

Creche might well help. I always thought it was going to playschool and learning a lot of new stuff that helped my girl.... tiring out her mind rather than her body.

By the way my terrible sleeper is now 7 and sleeps like a log :)
    Best of luck.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

littlebug wrote: »

Creche might well help. I always thought it was going to playschool and learning a lot of new stuff that helped my girl.... tiring out her mind rather than her body.

I was wondering if it wasn't the opposite - he's learning so much new stuff this past few months he's not able to switch off. I might stop reading him calculus books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I was wondering if it wasn't the opposite - he's learning so much new stuff this past few months he's not able to switch off. I might stop reading him calculus books.

Hmm. Spock recommends quantum physics.

Advertisement