Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to buy a new designer suit

• 01-09-2009 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭

My sister is getting married at Christmas and since it's the last sister of mine to get married yet the first big wedding in my family, I've decided to splash out and get a designer/named suit. I have a couple which look good but I've used at a few occassions.

Where would be best to get a good deal or best bargain on a man's suit? My sister told me I should take a weekend away and get one, London or somewhere. Can anyone recommend anything and any shops in particular in those destinations? I'll not exclude Ireland if there does happen to be anything worth looking at here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You should ask around and see what the deal is with made-to-measure deals. London would give you a lot of choice too. Sometimes it doesn't work out an awful lot more than buying a big-name off-the-peg.

Just because a off-the-peg suit has a label doesn't mean that it's going to be a great fit or anything. Especially if your shape/height isn't one that lends itself naturally to a suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

It all depends on your budget OP.

You could go to london and get a bespoke suit, from the legendary saville row tailors, or you can buy a branded off the peg suit in which case the most important thing is to then have it tailored to you. The most important thing about a suit is rarely its price or label and a lot more to do with its fit.

The fitting will make any suit look better than just buying a standard sized suit and having it hang off you awkwardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Deflector

In fact, so common is the above phenomenon, that one is almost more likely to encounter persons in an ill-fitting designer than they are a non-designer suit.

Not that I accuse you of such OP, but plain old snobbery has a lot to play when it comes to such suits. Indeed, I relish the amount of eejits going around in poorly fitted designger suits that they paid €600+ for. Fit is everything, fabric second, cut third. The name doesn't enter the equation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Deflector wrote: »
    In fact, so common is the above phenomenon, that one is almost more likely to encounter persons in an ill-fitting designer than they are a non-designer suit.

Not that I accuse you of such OP, but plain old snobbery has a lot to play when it comes to such suits. Indeed, I relish the amount of eejits going around in poorly fitted designger suits that they paid €600+ for. Fit is everything, fabric second, cut third. The name doesn't enter the equation.

Don't worry, I wouldn't be buying an ill-fitted outfit and it's not a case of purchasing a "name" for names sake. It's merely investing in a good looking, classy, well fitted suit for this and other occassions. Anything I have so far is just from Topman/H&M, and I do love to wear them & think they look good. I just fancy upgrading so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭patftrears

Don't worry, I wouldn't be buying an ill-fitted outfit and it's not a case of purchasing a "name" for names sake. It's merely investing in a good looking, classy, well fitted suit for this and other occassions. Anything I have so far is just from Topman/H&M, and I do love to wear them & think they look good. I just fancy upgrading so to speak.
    http://www.raja-fashions.com/
    I've been using them for about 2 years.
    Expensive but great value for money. The suits are a piece of art and the fabric is such good quality they'll last for ever.

They ship them over in boxes, took one out of the box it was all crumpled, put it on a hanger and the next days not a crease in it, thats to do with the quality fabric.

Prices start at €800 for a great suit, €1000 for a killer one.
    They have books for each level of fabric and you pick the pattern you want, then show them the style.

First time I went brough one of my suit and a picture. said I want this pattern in this style then picked out the fabric level.
    Next came the haggling, first time they will try and get you to pay the maximun they can, this is to set the bar for future purchases.
    Bring cash you'll get a better price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement