Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutrition Advice

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,

I am starting out on an effort to lose weight. I'm 28 and I've never been overly fit but I am carrying more condition now than I'd like.

To start I have gone on a two week no carbs/high protein/high fat diet. I know that this is not sustainable and that alot of the weight loss is down to water weight but I wanted to do something that will help motivate me. Seeing an initial burst of weight loss helps.

I am going to the gym five days a week doing 20-30mins of high intensity resistance training in the morning. In addition I am running about 3-4k once or twice a week. I also play golf and tennis regularly.

I am putting together a sustainable diet plan for the next three months and I would like some advice on whether I have it right. Feel free to suggest additions or things I should take off. Bear in mind the main goal is fat loss.

My rough diet plan:
    Rising/Pre Workout: Any suggestions??

Breakfast/Post Workout: Porridge/Natural Yoghurt & Berries/Eggs

Mid Morning: Tea w/milk no sugar

Lunch: Salad with low fat dressing/Hummus & Ham/Turkey/Chicken & Protein Shake (30g).

Afternoon: Tea w/milk no sugar

Dinner: Lean Meat/Oily Fish & plenty of Veg. Basmati Rice/Beans/Sweet Potato

Snacks: Nuts/Seeds/Fruit

Occasional Treats: Popcorn, Diet Coke (Limit to 2 a week), Any other suggestions??

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

troy wrote: »
    Hi,

I am starting out on an effort to lose weight. I'm 28 and I've never been overly fit but I am carrying more condition now than I'd like.

To start I have gone on a two week no carbs/high protein/high fat diet. I know that this is not sustainable and that alot of the weight loss is down to water weight but I wanted to do something that will help motivate me. Seeing an initial burst of weight loss helps.

I am going to the gym five days a week doing 20-30mins of high intensity resistance training in the morning. In addition I am running about 3-4k once or twice a week. I also play golf and tennis regularly.

I am putting together a sustainable diet plan for the next three months and I would like some advice on whether I have it right. Feel free to suggest additions or things I should take off. Bear in mind the main goal is fat loss.

My rough diet plan:

Lunch: Salad with low fat dressing/Hummus & Ham/Turkey/Chicken & Protein Shake (30g).

Occasional Treats: Popcorn, Diet Coke (Limit to 2 a week), Any other suggestions??

Thanks for any advice

that diet looks fine to me, and if you can stick to it then you should get results as long as portion size is ok .. i wouldnt bother with the protein shake at lunch time though - the yoghurt at breakfast and lean meat twice a day should give you plenty ... you may get more specific advice if you post your current stats + goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

Thanks for the reply, I am doing measurements on Saturday. I'll post when I have them.

Any advice on pre workout in the morning? Something small before training.

Thanks for the reply, I am doing measurements on Saturday. I'll post when I have them.

Any advice on pre workout in the morning? Something small before training.

depends - what does workout consist of and how much time do you have between snack and hitting the gym? have the protein shake first thing possibly along with an apple, or if your only doing light cardio work you should be fine on empty stomach (if you dont feel hungry)

Not long between. Basically I want to get up, snack, walk to gym (3 mins), work out (high intensity weights), walk home, shower, breakfast and off to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Just a note, you don't seem to be clear on what carbohydrates are. You are eating lots of them. Let me point them out to you in bold underlined. (I am not criticising your diet, it is pretty good, I just wanted you to know that you are indeed eating lots of carbohydrates.)

• Advertisement

I have been on a no carb diet for the last 2 weeks and now I am planning to return to a more balanced diet and hence looking for advice.

Thanks for the reply though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Apologies, I thought you were describing your plan for a two week no-carb diet!

Few more questions if anyone has time:

Slimline Milk or Low Fat Super Milk?

Ok\Moderate\Avoid for the following:
    Tracker bars?
    Ryvitia?
    Flora Pro Activ?
    Hi8 Meusli?
    Root Veg (Parsnip/Turnips)?
    Tomatoes?
    Onions?
    Ice Cream?
    Wraps?

And finally I was thinking about having some Brown Bread, Flora & Low Fat Marmalade before working out in the morning?

Thanks again

Few more questions if anyone has time:

Slimline Milk or Low Fat Super Milk?

Ok\Moderate\Avoid for the following:
    Tracker bars?
    Ryvitia?
    Flora Pro Activ?
    Hi8 Meusli?
    Root Veg (Parsnip/Turnips)?
    Tomatoes?
    Onions?
    Ice Cream?
    Wraps?

And finally I was thinking about having some Brown Bread, Flora & Low Fat Marmalade before working out in the morning?

Thanks again

the tracker bars and ice-cream wont do you any favours (you know that i guess) but ok as a treat / cheat ... everything else is fine ...

the bread and marmalade is ok as an energy booster but it doesnt really have any nutritional benefit, a couple of pieces of fruit would be better iMO

Height: 5'11"

24th August:
    Weight: 94kg
    Bicep: 8
    Tricep: 8
    Subscapular: 24
    Suprailiac: 32
    Body Fat: 23.36%

3rd September:
    Weight: 91kg
    Bicep: 7
    Tricep: 7
    Subscapular: 20
    Suprailiac: 22
    Body Fat: 20.26%

Changing to the balanced diet today from the no carbs. See where I am in two weeks.

• Advertisement

Height: 5'11"

24th August:
    Weight: 94kg
    Bicep: 8
    Tricep: 8
    Subscapular: 24
    Suprailiac: 32
    Body Fat: 23.36%

3rd September:
    Weight: 91kg
    Bicep: 7
    Tricep: 7
    Suprailiac: 22
    Body Fat: 20.26%

Changing to the balanced diet today from the no carbs. See where I am in two weeks.

i would give it a month THB .. based on those stats defo get rid of processed carbs and bars - you can get away with once a week esp if its post (hard!) workout .. no need to drop carbs like root veg or fruit, keep the bread for post workout and eat plenty veg and fruit .. you shouldnt aim for more than 500 or 600 cal deficit so you should make this up easily enough by dropping the obvious junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

Good luck with the diet. Will be interested to know of your progress.

corkcomp wrote: »
    i would give it a month THB .. based on those stats defo get rid of processed carbs and bars - you can get away with once a week esp if its post (hard!) workout .. no need to drop carbs like root veg or fruit, keep the bread for post workout and eat plenty veg and fruit .. you shouldnt aim for more than 500 or 600 cal deficit so you should make this up easily enough by dropping the obvious junk

Thanks again corkcomp. I'll steer clear of all the processed carbs that I can. The first step is definitely education. I have learned more about diet in the last couple of weeks than in my entire life before hand.

Just a quick update on my progress. Measurements on 29th Sept were:

Weight: 88kg
    Bicep: 5.5
    Tricep: 6.5
    Suprailiac: 18
    Body Fat: 18.87%

Coming down steadily. Most of my clothes are too big for me now. I'm going to have to go and do some shopping soon.

Measurements on Sat 31st Oct:

Weight: 83.5kg
    Bicep: 4.5
    Tricep: 6.5
    Subscapular: 15
    Suprailiac: 17
    Body Fat: 17.04%

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Looks like you're doing really well. Fair play.

I can move this into the "fitness logs" forum if you'd like?

Yeah grand. It started off looking for advice, now its more of a log. Thanks

Advertisement