Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding an oil boiler to an existing back boiler set-up

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I hope this is in the right place and would be grateful of any advice received. :D

I live in a house with a back boiler fireplace heating system, I'd like to add in an oil boiler (external or internal) to the system to make it easier and more convienient to heat the house (timers etc). It's a 7 rad system (6 and a half really :P). I'd like the two systems to work together, ie the oil boiler heats the house in the morning etc and we can light the fire in the evening and relaxe, we love the open fire and I'm aware of it's ineffeciencies.

I looked at pellet stoves and solar set-up, too expensive and complicated.

Could anyone recommend a boiler that would do the job, money is tight at the moment so I'm looking for the most cost effective solution?
    I'd appreciate prices as I'm finding it difficult to find them on websites (why are suppliers so cagy about this? I'd never buy from one that didn't advertise their price openly :rolleyes:).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

To do what you want you will need an atmospheric boiler (ie-not pressurised) and a switch to isolate the back boiler circulating pump - otherwise the oil boiler will waste heat by pumping it through the back boiler. A year or so ago Firebird were selling such boilers, made in Ireland, for about €900. They do an outdoor model that is in an insulated casing and doesn't need a boiler house or anything. Getting the necessary plumbing etc done would, I'd guess, cost around €500--€800. Heatmerchants sell Firebirds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Thanks for the help ART6 :D exactly what I needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

you will also need to change your hot water cylender to a dual coil one , and have it re plumbed and have the whole setup done properly so one boiler isnt heating the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

I have been offered a Popular 90 boiler or a Potterton, Statesman 50/65, would either of those suit?

Advertisement