Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Okami ahoy!

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/5349980/new-okami-is-coming-to-the-nintendo-ds

Okami may not have been perfect (it went on far too long for one!) but the first was definitely a compelling mix of Japanese mythology, spectacular visuals and intriguing play mechanics. Probably the closest a game has gotten to Zelda without actually being Zelda too! So a sequel (even if it is portable, which seems the new outlet for sequels to critically acclaimed but poorly selling games) is definitely welcome. Hope the DS can retain the visuals, because Okami definitely was a rare game whose art design stood out as extraordinary.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love you Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

oh my, I will need that

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I suppose i should play the first one on the Wii then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Yay, Okami on the go. I love the Wii one so heres hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Joy!

<3 for all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

One thing I never understood was people complaining about Okami's length.

Yes, it's 60hrs long if you're doing all the sidequests & animal feeding. But on the other hand, Okami's STRUCTURE of play was such that everything was broken up into 1hr lengths (some bosses notwithstanding).
    As such, I found Okami to be MUCH better for play than Persona 3 & 4 (lovely though they are), as I could easily play for a bit, save, turn the PS2 off -- and realise it's only been 1hr. Contrast this with P3&4, where I could end up with 2-3hr stretches where no save point was apparent, and me tethering on exhausted collapse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    One thing I never understood was people complaining about Okami's length.

Yes, it's 60hrs long if you're doing all the sidequests & animal feeding. But on the other hand, Okami's STRUCTURE of play was such that everything was broken up into 1hr lengths (some bosses notwithstanding).
    As such, I found Okami to be MUCH better for play than Persona 3 & 4 (lovely though they are), as I could easily play for a bit, save, turn the PS2 off -- and realise it's only been 1hr. Contrast this with P3&4, where I could end up with 2-3hr stretches where no save point was apparent, and me tethering on exhausted collapse.

I just felt the later stages of the game were too repetitive compared to the rest. Granted, there was lots to do, but I dunno, I just found myself losing interest towards the end (especially with the cutscenes and the weird noises!).
    Persona 3-4 are definitely guilty of lack of save points (turned it on for an hour the other day and spent it reading because it was one of those monthly narrative progression days!) but the story, social links and battling are rarely less then addictive and compelling, and the epic length is justified. Okami, for all it did well, just seemed a little dull in the final stretches (boss gauntlet etc...) and while it was still never less than engaging, it could possibly have been cut down a bit in the subplot department IMO to provide a more satisfying overall experience.
    That said, I can't wait for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

i found okami quite dull to be honest though a ds version sounds very promising, it should have less bulk and of course, the touchscreen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bah!

Reading about Okami has made me finally buy a copy. Damn you guys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Didnt think i spent 60 hours on that on ps2 :|

Sadly a sequel will be another cracking game that will never be enjoyed by most gamers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Looks like Im buying it for the Wii tomorrow heh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Great news. I loved that so much of the game was entirely optional like reviving trees, feeding animals, hunting for items. But man it was so satisfying clearing each area and going back to all the previous areas with new brush techniques.

I didn't mind the length but got tired of fighting the same bosses again and again. Especially if you wanted to clear all the optional bosses. It was just the spider boss again and again! No matter, i still loved it and I am delighted and a little proud that i finished it.

Okami is just so well designed. There was not a moment when i didn't know what i had to do next to progress the story or I got stuck on any section. This could make an EPIC DS game. Pity the original team is not involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Okami was a great game. Spent a year on it (obviously not continualy) and finished it about 2 months ago. Deserved all the praise it got. However I just can't get excited about a sequel being on the DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now i just have to go back to either the PS2 version or the Wii edition I own and actually get somewhere in them, before I'm compelled to buy the sequel!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I loved the PS2 version, I loved the Wii edition even more. I better love the next one. It looks really cute! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Kotaku have a trailer up now also, looks promising. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Heart melted from D'AWWWWWW!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Puppy Okami is the cutest thing ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Trailer looks good alright, very much looking forward to this now.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Puppy Okami is the cutest thing ever.

I dunno, Rilakkuma comes close too. The oversized, Hawaaiin shirt wearing one I won in a Japanese arcade is pretty obnoxiously cute.

The Japanese sure know their cuteness.

Advertisement