Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voting whilst abroad

Options
  • 01-09-2009 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently enrolled in university in London, so I live there the majority of the year. I'm just wondering, does that mean, while I'm living there, I don't get to vote in the upcoming Lisbon treaty? Or is it possible to, say, visit the Irish embassy and cast my vote from there even though I'm registered to vote in Dublin?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

You will normally be required to vote in person at an official voting centre but you may be eligible for a postal vote if you are:

An Irish diplomat or his/her spouse posted abroad
    A member of the Garda Síochána
    A whole-time member of the Defence Forces.
    You may also be eligible for a postal vote if you cannot go to a polling station because:

Of a physical illness or disability
    You are studying full time at an educational institution away from your home address where you are registered You are unable to vote at your polling station because of your occupation
    You are unable to vote at your polling station because you are in prison as a result of an order of a court.
    Applications for inclusion on the Postal Voters List must be received by 25 November at the latest.

I'd say you are too late to organise this but contact the local authority where you are registered

Advertisement