Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Installation Question

• 01-09-2009 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a search but it didn't provide a lot of information. I'm curious as to what exactly is involved in getting NTL's broadband service. Our area was recently upgraded (though the house is still on Analogue service) and with the recent Smart announcement I think it's time to consider an alternative. An NTL rep recently called to the door and unfortunately he didn't seem to know very much (including disagreeing with their leaflet/customer services staff).

So, if you were previously on NTL Analogue and moved to NTL for broadband what was involved? Did you need to switch everything to their digital service (incl. TV)? What work did their technicians need to perform in-house (e.g. replacing wall outlets, replacing cabling, etc)? How long did the work take?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Mixie wrote: »
    So, if you were previously on NTL Analogue and moved to NTL for broadband what was involved? Did you need to switch everything to their digital service (incl. TV)? What work did their technicians need to perform in-house (e.g. replacing wall outlets, replacing cabling, etc)? How long did the work take?

They don't need to replace any of the cables, wall outlets, etc - if broadband is available in your area, the engineer calls out and when he's there he sets up the cable modem for you (just using a splitter on your existing TV cable). It'll probably take him around 10 minutes max.

In fact, you don't even need any TV connection with them, though you do pay (I think) €7 extra a month if you don't want anything other than broadband. But you can have analog TV & broadband only if you want - I had mine like that for almost two years, but these days, the digital TV pack is cheaper than the analog anyway...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Can you add a router of your choice at a later stage / would it improve speed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

J-blk wrote: »
    In fact, you don't even need any TV connection with them, though you do pay (I think) €7 extra a month if you don't want anything other than broadband.

€6.
    sharkman wrote: »
    Can you add a router of your choice at a later stage / would it improve speed ?

You can, and it may or may not effect speeds. It would depend on what problems you're experiencing with the one they supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Thanks J-blk. I agree it makes little sense to stay on Analogue but just wanted to confirm the process. Do you know, is it possible to do the modem installation yourself or do they require their engineer complete the work?

Would adding this be any advantage ?

• Advertisement

An N router will give you the best bandwidth for your home wifi network, but each computer connected will need to be N compatible, to take advantage of it.

jor el wrote: »
    An N router will give you the best bandwidth for your home wifi network, but each computer connected will need to be N compatible, to take advantage of it.

Cool , Thanks for that .

Mixie wrote: »
    Do you know, is it possible to do the modem installation yourself or do they require their engineer complete the work?

They will always send a tech to do the install. I just got it in this morning, took them about half an hour to set up. They had to replace the box on the wall, the old one was, well, old. Got a cable modem and separate Netgear router.

I ordered last week, picked this morning as my install time, and they arrived at 9.30. First positive experience I've ever had with Chorus, must be the UPC influence.

sharkman, you might want to check out this thread too. Sometimes they provide an all in one modem/router, and if you want to use your own router, it could be a little difficult to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Thanks again jor el.

Advertisement