Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SI 307 of 2009- Firearms secure storage

Options
  • 01-09-2009 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

I was talking with my door & window supplier today in relation to BS 3621 for the external door locks. This is what he said:-

This 3621 standard refers to mortice type locks such as chubb locks or yale locks.

Unfortunately such types of lock are never fitted to, and never have been fitted to PVC doors or windows !

In general pvc doors would be fitted with what are termed multi point locks but these are not made to this standard.

However multi point locks would in general meet the relevant requirements of this standard.

So therfore my security arrangement does not meet SI 307 of 2009. Does anyone else have this issue? I presume the Gardai will employ common sense with applications with regard to this. I'm still planning on ticking yes to section 3.5 of the firearms application though (Firearms storage details)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The answer is yes........to all of the above

I have a two year old house with modern windws supplied by a reputable company, I have chubb (type) and mortice (type) locks never really checked them.
    I have a house alarm
    I have a 4 gn cabinet to the required standard
    I have a discreet camera in the same room
    I have an ammo safe seperate

Do any of them have the all the BS stamped on them etc etc only the cabinet says that its built to the standard and the alarm is installed toxxx. But the locks appear to be standard common named locks.

I think common sense will prevail but hang on for the replies that is going to come next...............

look here http://www.uniononline.co.uk/BS3621.asp

If worse comes to worse it's not hard to add a lock or two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

If worse comes to worse it's not hard to add a lock or two

It would be a joke to have to add a single mortice lock to a system that already has a 5 point locking system (3 locks on side, one on top & one on bottom). I'm sure common sense will prevail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

packas wrote: »
    I'm sure common sense will prevail.

Cough, I'm sure. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

Originally Posted by packas
    I'm sure common sense will prevail.

Why ?it hasnt been applied to any single thing in relation to FA's as of yet .. Im sure at a local level this might have happened .. but it all depends on the directions give , eg if its a tick the box for the form the cop uses (if it is a form) it might state does the door locks comply to 3621 standard if it doesnt have it stamped on it then no tick which equals problems for you ..

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

If the Gardai don't want to renew your license they will not renew it and now have umpteen reasons not to do so, which you will not be able to get around.

If on the other hand they are going to renew your license my feeling would be that the security arrangements already vetted by your CPO will be fine.

If they start reading kite marks off locks I would be worried as they are looking for faults which means they are looking to not give it to you.

I am sure you will be fine as you obviously use it quite a bit so can show a legitimate use. There are plenty of people that they will not want to renew and the old Basta Locks will come under scrutiny to make a list of reasons why it will not happen.
    Not being a member of club for the last year or two or not having attended a club in the last 6 months or more will probably be further up that list though.

B'Man

• Advertisement
Advertisement