Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Witholding deposit

Options
  • 01-09-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi,

My Girlfriend is having a problem with a landlord.

She moved out of the apartment 3 weeks ago and today heard he "doesn't have the money" to repay the deposit.

Funny thing is she rented through a well known agent and this is what the agent is telling her.

Is it the responsibility of the landlord to refund the deposit or the agent since she paid the agency directly.

Cheers,

V

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

She should contact threshold immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

She is today.

Was also wondering if anyone else just knew off hand what the deal was here. Agent seems to be chancing his arm on this hoping she doesn't understand what's happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I can't believe they actually told her that he doesnt have the money.

If she met all the terms of her lease then basically it's theft now. It was never the landlords money to spend, it was a deposit that he should have put aside to refund to her if all lease terms were met.

Let them know you're going to Threshold and I'd consider calling the gardai if you can't get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Garda won't want to know - its a civil matter.

Talk to Threshol an if necessary file a complaint with the PRTB.

www.threshold.ie www.prtb.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tedstriker

What is the name of the well known agent so that everyone knows who to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

"Doesnt have the money" isn't her problem.

Tell her to make a complaint to the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tedstriker wrote: »
    What is the name of the well known agent so that everyone knows who to avoid.
    Lets not go there.

It would appear the landlord is the problem, not the agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I was in the same boat, except the property management company in Galway, fobbed me off with all sorts of lies about the deposit.

Filed a complaint with the PRTB, very easy process. Dont let the fekers screw ya, because they will at any chance!

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ViDuchie

She's being told now she'll get the deposit back when the agent re-lets the place. If her re-lets the place

I've also been in touch with threshold and they said they would contact the landlord on her behalf, and to get landlords details from the agent.

Back to agent, and..... he refuses to give contact details!!!!

No word back from threshold on this yet.

V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

First contact the PRTB and a solicitor.
    She should sue the landlord or the management company, whichever the contract is with.
    If she gets a solicitor she should certainly discuss costs with her solicitor. He has the money, even with the property crash the flat can be sold and it will be worth more than one months rent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

ViDuchie wrote: »
    She's being told now she'll get the deposit back when the agent re-lets the place. If her re-lets the place

just wanna ask this question because someone will and I'm not trying to pick holes or anything.

Did she move out of the apartment early and break the lease cos the above I quoted is usually a reason given for withholding deposits when lease is broken early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

MrMicra wrote: »
    He has the money, even with the property crash the flat can be sold and it will be worth more than one months rent.

Now thats just silly on so many different levels

Advertisement