Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beagle pups

Options
  • 01-09-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I want to get a beagle but I work monday to friday so it will be alone, there's nothing I can change about that. Don't want to get one if it will be really cruel so I'm wondering if I got two, exercised them in the evening and left them stuff to play with, and food and water, and left the radio on would this be ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well I don't own a beagle so I'm not sure of how much exercise/attention they need.
    Could you walk them before work too? Or come home at lunch?

Also - if you're looking to get pups only, it won't work easily, pups need lots of attention and care and training in the beginning and I don't think it would be fair to leave them for the whole day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Another thing with Beagles is that they can howl and bark an awful lot so neighbours also need to be considered, if you have any nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Giggy

Hmmm that's what I was worried about. Maybe I'll wait till I can take some holidays so I can be with them for a while. Also I could get a family member to call around during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi

I dont know if you realise but there is a lot of dog stealing going on in Galway. If you leave your dog outside in the garden when you are not there there is huge possibility of it being stolen as a pup will whine and cry.

also beagles tend to roam and when off the lead will head off on their own. how about getting a rescue one and it may be house trained and you could leave it inside - might be a bit older than a puppy so will not chew your house.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

did not mean to say Galway - countrywide dog stealing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

Hi there
    I have a Beagle. Got her when she was a pup and she's nearly 3 now. She's brilliant but yes, she does need a lot of exercise. She prefers to run than be walked so we bring her down to the beach a lot. They are divils for following their nose!! Totally led by it. I'm at home all day so your issue doesn't apply for us but there have been days where we would have left both our dogs for the guts of a day and there hasn't been a bother on them. We are lucky to have family up the road and more around the corner and can get them checked on quite easily. I'd definitely recommend getting two pups from the same litter. They can be expensive though! We regretted not taking two big time but because they were 700 each at the time we just couldn't afford it. A year later we adopted a Collie from a rescue centre and they get on like a house on fire.
    Re the howling I think I've heard Bailey howl about 5 times over the last 3 years so not too bad ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

evrumum wrote: »
    I'd definitely recommend getting two pups from the same litter.

I wouldn't.

Littermates will bond much more closely with eachother than with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

Sure they will already have a strong bond. You aren't looking to break that bond you are looking to be a positive leader to both of them (if you get two that is!). Beagles are very sociable dogs. Puppies are adaptable and they will bond with you once you become their "pack leader". I know some people think that's a load of mumbo jumbo but Beagles thrive on it.

One other thing .. they are escape artists (again because they love to follow a scent!) .. so just make sure your back garden area is secure!

PM me if you need any further info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hi, Didn't you post almost identical post about getting Lhasa apso couple of days ago?
    Beagle would be much more work as they are a working breed, need a lot of exercise and stimulation.

mymo wrote: »
    Hi, Didn't you post almost identical post about getting Lhasa apso couple of days ago?
    Beagle would be much more work as they are a working breed, need a lot of exercise and stimulation.

Valid point, I hadn't realised mymo, and I responded in the other thread!!

OP - have you researched into the breed? (just if you're changing your mind from a lhasa to a beagle as they're different breeds, and have different requirements)

• Advertisement

Yea I changed my mind as it was the lhasa apso I hadn't researched properly. Beagle's are much friendlier dogs and I found out that the lhasa apso can be a little bit dodgy around children. I want a dog that when I start a family he'll still fit into it. Few other small things too but exercising the dog is not a problem at all.

Aye that's true some lhasas aren't mad on young children, they like to have their own space. So that's a good reason.
    Exercise is a must for beagles, and as others have said they need to be secure, because if they want to get out, they will!
    As for pups - you need to be there to train them, and be warned about the crying/howling / possibly annoying the neighbours.

I have a fenced in back garden, with high fences so that should be ok. I have a small shed in the garden too but do you think I should keep them inside the house while I'm training them and to save the neighbours from the noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

To be fair, it is a poor idea to get a dog and leave it alone all day Monday to Friday. Dogs need company, supervision and exercise. I would love a dog but like you I work, so won't get one. It's borderline neglect, really.

Well, the other thing is -as others have raised, when you're at work, will you be gone for 8 hours a day?

star-pants wrote: »
    Well, the other thing is -as others have raised, when you're at work, will you be gone for 8 hours a day?

Well, I can make it home for lunch but that'd only be for a half an hour. Even if I get two is it still bad?

It's just that it's not really fair to leave dogs alone for 8 hours a day, they'll get bored, and if you leave them outside they may bark/whine (out of boredom) and if you leave them inside they may do the same/wreck your room. (I'm just pointing things out to make you aware).
    Most people who have dogs and have to work, usually get home for lunch to take them for a walk or there's someone who's either at home or can pop home to entertain them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

00112984 wrote: »
    Another thing with Beagles is that they can howl and bark an awful lot so neighbours also need to be considered, if you have any nearby.

Yeah! I was about to say the same. They howl an awful lot so if you are living in a built up area it would be very difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

I had a male beagle for 11 years. Believe me they're not the type of dog to leave on their own all day( It's cruel to leave any dog alone all day tho). They need LOADS of exercise and I found my dog would get really bored if left alone for long periods. He would start to get naughty and dig up plants and try to escape. As someone said earlier they are escape artists:eek: beautiful dogs but need loads of walks and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭rafared

I have a beagle pup 18 weeks old, hes great fun. Still at that mad pup stage but very clever and responsive. It was very easy to get him to sit, beg , stay ect on command. He loves a walk or a short run and doesnt like to be left alone. My wife is off work at the moment so theres always someone here. Hes great with my two kids and loves to play, rump around ect. He will play fetch like a mad thing too:)Potty training was difficult and he can still pee where he shouldnt just out of the blue:rolleyes:
    Just in case you think fences will hold them in if they want out......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBjQDeZPag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Most dogs do not have the privilage of their owners company all day as so many poeple are out there working.

Plenty of toys. Al large enclosed area. Minimum of two walks a day including the rainy days. Extra attention in the evening.

Is there anyone related to you self employed or drive a work van. My hubby used to bring our staffie when he was a pup on drives with him and he loved it. He was then left to his own devices when he was a bit older.

Also if you have a school going neighbour possibly secondary yocould get him or her to pop over an play for an hour in the afternoon to play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boredboard

be warned... guy I know has two beagle dogs (got them as rescue pups) and one morning (has them for about 8 months I think or maybe longer) he found one had savaged the other one...it having to spend at least one night in the vets... haven't heard an update but by all accounts sounded pretty hairy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

rafared wrote: »
    I have a beagle pup 18 weeks old, hes great fun. Still at that mad pup stage but very clever and responsive. It was very easy to get him to sit, beg , stay ect on command. He loves a walk or a short run and doesnt like to be left alone. My wife is off work at the moment so theres always someone here. Hes great with my two kids and loves to play, rump around ect. He will play fetch like a mad thing too:)Potty training was difficult and he can still pee where he shouldnt just out of the blue:rolleyes:
    Just in case you think fences will hold them in if they want out......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnBjQDeZPag

Haha brilliant!!! They are very clever dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Kai

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Haha brilliant!!! They are very clever dogs

Actually they are supposed to be near the bottom of the Doggy intelligence scale.... which is not necessarily a bad thing as they wont be as easily bored as other breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭DannyKing

are there any dog walkers around your area? Or aybe a neighbor?

Advertisement