Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Snip - Grangegorman - They just want to flog it !

Options
  • 01-09-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

After all the care, legislation, expense to date, etc...... this is what Snip are suggesting......

"D. 9 Discontinue funding for Grangegorman Development Agency

The Grangegorman Development Agency is a statutory agency established in 2006 by the Government to redevelop the former St. Brendan's Hospital grounds in Dublin city centre as a new campus for the Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT) and to provide community health facilities on behalf of the Health Services Executive.
    Given the current uncertainty in relation to this project, the Group proposes to discontinue all current funding (€1.5m) for the agency. This measure could also avoid further capital expenditure on the planned €1.5bn capital development Programme associated with Grangegorman.

The Group further recommends that the State dispose of land associated with this project to generate revenue for the Exchequer and that the option be explored of consolidating DIT on alternative lands, e.g. at Tallaght Institute of Technology as suggested at D.2.3 above."

So in their wisdom! they just want to Flog the site to another dodgy Developer just for the short term aim of putting some revenue in the Exchequers coffers. Just look at what was being proposed and the benefits that would come to the whole D7 area...... http://www.ggda.ie .......

How foolish and 'short termist'. Why not freeze and postpone the project, and seek to have the GDA produce revenues from the site and buildings in the interim to cover the costs of the agency and staff of the GDA. Dont just sell off one of the last remaining assets of North Central Dublin.

Views welcome!

Regards
    D7

PS I dont work or have any connection with the GDA, I just care about the long term for the D7 area and the common sense that Grangegorman presents to DIT having graduated from Bolton St some 20 plus years ago!!!.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Have to agree here, ridiculous decision. Grangegorman could be a stunning area with the insertion of a college campus. It's incredibly short sighted to not continue with the project...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Just a few ministers trying to hold onto their salaries for another few years:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Christ, can you imagine what a bad decision that would be.

Another 20 years of ****e facilities for DIT then?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

For everyone's information this was taken from Wikipedia.org about Bord Snip

"A group of experts was called together at the behest of the Minister for Finance Brian Lenihan.The group's formal title is "Special Group on Public Service Numbers and Expenditure Programmes". It is a four person group, headed by University College Dublin economist Colm McCarthy. Colloquially it is referred to as "An Bord Snip Nua".

Membership

Colm McCarthy, UCD economist

Donal McNally, Second Secretary General, Department of Finance

Panel of Advisers

i) Maurice O'Connell, former Governor of the Central Bank and Financial Services Authority of Ireland

ii) William Slattery, Managing Director, State Street Corporation (Ireland)

iii) Mary Walsh, former Partner PriceWaterhouseCoopers (Ireland)

iv) Pat McLaughlin, Business Consultant and former Deputy Chief Executive of the Health Service Executive
    "

Interesting Club they must belong to or be associated with !!
    OK they cant be experts in all the areas they had to address and review over their 6 months terms of reference, but one gets the feeling that they are so far up the food chain and removed from the realities of life, they will never be affected by their own recommendations - prescription.

It would be interesting to learn of the retainers each Snip member got for their 6 months secondment.

OK if the money is not currently available for Grangegorman dont squander all the good work done to date, rather campaign to postpone the project for the area.

D7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I'd hate to see Grangegorman being scrapped. The plans look brilliant for it and it will allow DIT to have a great campus. It will also hopefully allow for Uni status in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭RJM22

The city will die without Grangegorman, it's an antidote to all the shoebox apartments built in the boom without the associated social provisions. The town will be reduced to a Dohnut City and we'll be back at where we started circa 1991!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 D7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Isn't it a pretty bad time to try to generate revenue through lands sales anyway? They really seem to find it hard to grasp that the land bonanza is over.

Does anyone have any ideas what a private owner would do with the land? Surely no-one will build hundreds of apartments there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭RJM22

amalgamate and move to tallaght?! how stupid are these people? Doing that would worst planning move made in Ireland.

There is no way I can see this happening. It's just so damn dumb. I'm voting yes to the treaty in the view that at least these kind of people will have less control of our own country!

read this http://www.nesc.ie/dynamic/docs/NESC-Report-No-118.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

RJM22 wrote: »
    I'm voting yes to the treaty in the view that at least these kind of people will have less control of our own country!

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Damn, I was reading through this thread hoping that somebody was going to say "everythings ok, the idea has been scrapped, alles gut"
    But no.

Ugh. DIT brings a certain life to the city centre, to send it out to the suburbs would be stupid and would rob the area around Grangegorman of an amazing oppurtunity to develop.

Plus, what would happen with ITT and DIT in terms of courses that overlap etc.

Whole idea is painful and I'm surprised I haven't heard about it before.

Advertisement