Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supremacy of law

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

okay - thanks all.

constitutuional bar - so eu law is not always supreme?

It is always dominant, but we partake in the creation of that law to some degree or other. Take for example the Consitutional bar on the Common Defence Policy:

The Common Defence Policy in Lisbon is to be decided unanimously by all Member States. That means our Government have to agree to it. They are prohibited from agreeing to anything that requires our participation and so the Common Defence Policy cannot (unless our Constitution is changed) require Irelands participation.

We also elect the Parliament and the members of the Council (indirectly - they are our Ministers) who are the ones who ultimately pass legislation into law. Therefore we have a say in those laws through these two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

i never stated it would be a bad thing......

i am not going to argue this anymore - as all i get is no.... will we consistently increase speed until we reach the speed of light crap

also i know that eu law is to an extant made by our representatives - not debating that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

i never stated it would be a bad thing......

i am not going to argue this anymore - as all i get is no.... will we consistently increase speed until we reach the speed of light crap

That's because that's the only argument you have offered for your position. At no point have you shown that the EU will inevitably keep increasing its competences - you've just assumed it to be true. All I've done is point out that you're not wearing any clothes.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement