Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Atheros wireless cards

Options
  • 01-09-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭

Every laptop that I've used with atheros wireless cards (e.g. the AR5007EG) cannot connect to Channels 12 or 13 with any drivers I've tried on XP or Vista.

Here's an example of this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055318572&highlight=atheros

What's up with this?? Do they not think that people live outside the US?? And can a card that doesn't use the full EU IMS spectrum allocation still get CE certification? The card is listed as being able to work in 2300 to 2500 MHz, so channel 12/13 should be okay.

To summarise, grrr. What can be done about this? Does anyone have drivers that will actually work for this? And you can assume that using other channels are not as ideal (surrounded by apartments with routers) and that in principle I should be able to use that 10 MHz of spectrum in the EU like other products allow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Could it be that your country settings are on USA? Either the router or the wireless card. Apparently on 11 channels are allowed in USA.

Try changing country settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

No doubt you already tried that. Maybe have a peek in the registry, it could be that you can find a setting that specifies the maximum number of channels, that is not exposed by a GUI. Not much hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Yep, I've tried all that. Tried to look for possible registry settings related to the atheros card (i.e. google configure atheros driver registry) but to no avail.

I think it's poor that laptops bought in the EU is not fully compliant with ETSI specs.

Advertisement