Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left 4 Dead. Whats the big deal?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so ive had this game for a month now and its been fun but really is it such a great action shooter like everyone says? I don't think so. Its fun shooting zombies or ambushing survivors with a group of friends but its not like its sooo unpredictable and random every time like i thought it would be. In summary, left 4 dead is a good game but overhyped and best played in short bursts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

play with decent players or friends and dont play on easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I agree with you to an extent as regards co-op.
    However once you get into versus it's a whole different ball game. You need to be playing it with friends/good people. It's probably the only game I've played that requires such a high level of team work to do well.
    Landing a quad cap is one of the most satisfying things you can do in any game :D

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I can only assume you haven't played versus mode much. I'd say everyone stopped playing co-op after 2 weeks tops. Versus mode is what's a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think about playing co-op sometimes but then I think why should I deprive myself of the thrill of pulling pouncing vomiting on and steamrolling survivors?

I shouldnt. Thats what.

And Planet Terror was on the other night. Which got my zombie rocks hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

briany wrote: »
    Ok so ive had this game for a month now and its been fun but really is it such a great action shooter like everyone says? I don't think so. Its fun shooting zombies or ambushing survivors with a group of friends but its not like its sooo unpredictable and random every time like i thought it would be. In summary, left 4 dead is a good game but overhyped and best played in short bursts.

depends on who you are playing with I think. I've had some of the best multiplayer experiences playing that game, the game can be both scary, hilarious and exciting at the same time. I also think it is one of the best crafted games of all time, the little touches really show that the designers spent time playing their own game, figuring out how people would play it before it was released (a very "Valve" thing to do)

It is getting a bit long in the tooth now at this stage (why I can't understand why people are complaining about l4d2 coming out in Nov, I freaking can't wait), but I still go back 2 or 3 times a week.

I remember when it came out it got high 80s reviews, so I don't think it was ever that over hyped. It is just a good fun game that can produce really memorable moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

L4Ds marketing was Tidal. For most people unless you followed the right blogs, it came without warning. Until one day you heard about this huge wave of developed excitement and hype. I first heard out about the game when a gizmodo editor shared a picture of a L4D lego diorama. This was about a month before launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I find it kind of boring myself now.

First few games were great.

Its also a game where you start it thinkin here I go again, can't believe I still play this and then something unique happens to that game and you find yourself having loads of fun again.

Personally I prefer TF2 for team based games though. Just more fun although they are very different obviously.

L4D can be a bit gloomy at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had been waiting for this game for about a year and a half. Was pretty pissed off when it got delayed by a year but in the end it was more than worth it. Love giving it a go every now and then and it's so satisfying when everything goes right and when it goes wrong, as long as you are playing with decent people, it's still good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

This game is made or broken by the people you play with. Personally I've fallen in with a great group of people and the matches are just good craic (especially the odd 8v8s which are just mayhem) and find this game to be brilliant. However, even just one public or rage quitter can instantly ruin a good game so beware of either these type of vermin.

P.S. feel free to add me via the clickable steam icon in my sig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You're doing it wrong.

It is indeed very dependant on who you play with. Play it with a regular group of mates (or e-mates) and it's the best. Play it with randoms, or people that suck, or are annoying as hell, and it doesn't even seem like the same game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭hinduhamster

I go through phases of L4D. For a month I might play it a lot then I tend to take a break for 2 or 3 months. I generally play with good friends so things like versus and the survival modes are often stupidly hilarious.

I guess it is limited enough (in terms of level diversity) but that's what the modding community is great for. You can get some really good survival and campaign maps that work really really well.

With more DLC on the way I'm looking forward to getting into it again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only thing that annoys me is begrudging team changers. The whole campaign builds up to the final crescendo hold out and it's usually ruined by people changing teams and jumping off the nearest building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Dont really have time to play it anymore but its a great game with the right people. Hard to get 8v8 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

briany wrote: »

its sooo unpredictable bro, you never know whats gonna pop out at you

I play it in 17 hour bursts, I just sit there and **** in my pants shooting zombies, totally kickin rad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Maximilian wrote: »
    I'd say everyone stopped playing co-op after 2 weeks tops. Versus mode is what's a big deal.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I think about playing co-op sometimes but then I think why should I deprive myself of the thrill of pulling pouncing vomiting on and steamrolling survivors?

I think it's a fantastic game and I only play co-op. Your enjoyment of the game is made or broken by the other people you're playing with. I never got into versus and don't have much interest in trying 'survival'.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Fnz wrote: »
    I think it's a fantastic game and I only play co-op. Your enjoyment of the game is made or broken by the other people you're playing with. I never got into versus and don't have much interest in trying 'survival'.

If you love co-op well good for you. I think though that versus is so much better and more varied.

There is nothing I have encountered in my 30 years or so of gaming that is quite as satisfying as that perfect ambush playing as infected. Even that perfect and improbable pounce as a hunter is incomparable.

If you limit your playing of this game to just the survivors, you are missing out on the what makes this game so brilliant - where the real enjoyment lies - playing as infected.

And yes, you need solid players with you or it can get very frustrating. I imagine if you play versus with just random strangers against a pre-made team, you will give up in minutes. We have a name for such people. There is a boards group on Steam and that's a good way to meet players get playing successfully and learning all the little tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

The implication of some posts seemed to be "you really need to be playing the game this way". My point was that people enjoy the game in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Fnz wrote: »
    The implication of some posts seemed to be "you really need to be playing the game this way". My point was that people enjoy the game in many ways.
    Yeah but if someone is struggling to see what makes it such a good game, they should be encouraged to put time into the best part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Anyone up for a game tonight? triseke

Having just played through three, dare I say epic, campaigns, Dead Air, No Mercy and Death Toll with some fellow L4Ders it's very easy to see that this game is not just good with the right players but truely brilliant. Tonights games are some of the best I've ever played, both teams were extremely well balanced with each of us trying to second guess the others, rejoicing when things went well and lamenting when the others had second guessed our second guessings, ensnaring us in a trap. The snare speak also added an extra layer of hilarity to the nights gaming with each of us able to talk with our captors or victims, hurling well intended abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,926 ✭✭✭✭briany

I joined that boards.ie group on steam, but I probably shouldn't just join in a game should I? Would it be all hardcore left4dead-ites on there?

Course you should, how else will you become "hard-core". Just listen to what people tell you to do and stay close to the group and you'll be fine.

Also, just melee boomers away from you before exploding them, makes for happier survivors all around.

Add me via the clicky steam icon in my sig and I'll spam you when I'm next in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I'll spam you when I'm next in a game.
    Yeah I was having connection problems earlier and couldn't join (Omar) Net is all over the place today.

No worries Nick, I'll hopefully get a game in with/against you sometime in the near future though providing all this pesky college work doesn't get in the way. Of course, the level of spams per day will rapidly decrease from here on out as well due to the increased work level :( .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I was slow to get into L4D. I found it exhausting to play a full campaign. I've been playing a bit more lately, just a quick match usually, and have had some good games on pubs.

Versus mode indeed was great fun when I played with some of the guys here but I was total rubbish. The more I see of L4D2 the more I want to play L4D. Certainly the art style and variation of the new game should make it less exhausting for me.

Advertisement