Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a receipt for my rent?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I conducted some business from my rented accommodation over the last few months so I am entitled to write off some of the rent I paid for tax purposes. However the agency are refusing to give me a receipt as they have no record of my name at the place (it was handled casually, people just moved in and out and collectively paid the rent into an account). However I have proof of residence there in the form of credit card bills etc sent there, and proof I paid the rent in the form of bank lodgement receipts.

I suppose I'm a dummy for not anticipating this ages ago. But should I press them and insist that I am entitled to receipts? Does anyone know if I am legally entitled to demand them? Thanks :)

Edit: just found this, which indicates that I am entitled:
    Landlords or agents living in Ireland

If your landlord or agent is resident in Ireland, a receipt for rent you have paid must be provided if and when it is requested by Revenue. This rule applies regardless of whether you pay your rent directly to the landlord or to an agent on behalf of the landlord. Each receipt must show the following:

* Landlord's name, PPS Number and address
    * Amount of rent which you have paid
    * Period of time covered by the receipt.

Edit again: never mind, I rang them back and a nicer lady agreed to send me everything I wanted :) mods, feel free to dispose of this thread as you see fit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

your lucky because they dont have to provide you a reciept ifit was "casual with people moving in and out" in that case how can they tell who lived there and who legitimatly is entitled to a reciept ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

D3PO wrote: »
    your lucky because they dont have to provide you a reciept ifit was "casual with people moving in and out" in that case how can they tell who lived there and who legitimatly is entitled to a reciept ....

Like I said, I have proof of address and receipts from the lodgement slips I used to pay the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

cornbb wrote: »
    Like I said, I have proof of address and receipts from the lodgement slips I used to pay the rent.

For tax purposes that is all you really need. Once you can prove that you paid rent for the place the tax man allows it if they audit you.

If they audit you it is very likely they will not allow you to claim the rent or portion of as a business expense. Accountants say do it but 3 friends that were audited weren't allowed to claim on inspection when others were and they all work in the same field. Tax appears to be intentionally vague from my experience and very hit and miss.

Advertisement