Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animation Students

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm starting my first year in Animation next week and it's not what I wanted but I thought it's a good course and didnt want to pass the opportunity!:cool:

But, now I'm scared that I wont like it, and end up dropping out!:(

Is anybody else starting animation this year, going into their 2nd/3rd/4th year of it or even finished this course??
    :confused:
    What do you like/dislike about it?

thanks xo:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

It's a great course and the work is quite involving and interesting. If you're able to keep on top of your workload, you should be fine.

If you are worried about the course not being for you, talk to your tutors about the work involved and if switching courses is on your mind, the student services office will be able to help out.

I was a few weeks into the Fine Art course when I decided it wasn't for me and went about switching into Visual Communications. The student services offices and my tutors were a lot of help and put my mind at ease on a lot of matters.

Granted, I ended up squaring my shoulders and continuing with the VAP course when I was told there wasn't room in VC. Now I love VAP and I'm not leaving :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thebattletheme

Hi hi! I'm going into third year, and I couldn't love the course more. But I'm not going to lie, it's pretty hardcore, and there's not a whole lot of room for slacking.

Like:
    * The people are amazing and are always willing to help with anything. So don't be afraid of the older years xD
    * The academic stuff is really interesting
    * The atmosphere is always great in the studio (until 8.50 when the college starts closing down, and everyone gets angry in unison xD)
    * The majority of the tutors are the coolest people ever

Dislike:
    * It can be very disorganised at times, leaving to deadline build-ups :l But they're meant to be sorting that out a bit better this year, so we'll see :/
    * Not a lot of drawing in first year, surprisingly.
    * The lack of variety in life drawing models will really annoy you after a while :l
    * Creative politics grrrr. But you'll get this in every art course xD

Don't worry about it too much, once you make the effort to come in everyday, you'll be fine <3

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

I forgot to defer my offer for Animation, hahahah. I'm was going to go to Ballyfermot first anyway, but it would've been nice to have a place for me in IADT if I didn't like the year in BCFE.
    Oh well, I can always re-apply next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 RodeoRed

what are you going to do in BCFE??

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Oh, Animation of course! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 xxgranzxx

hey there, im in 5th year atm, gonna be doing my Leaving cert next year, and just considering doing a portfolio for IADT or NCAD. i have my doubts though, as i realy dont know what the ANIMATION course is like? is the portfolio worth doing for something your unsure about :confused:
    i also heard that when your doing any art course, that you mostly draw from your head, creating ideas, which i cannot do. i love drawing but i always have to get ideas from a picture or image or view :/
    If anyone was studying animation atm, or in fact any art course in dublin, could you please give me your advice :) thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

xxgranzxx wrote: »
    hey there, im in 5th year atm, gonna be doing my Leaving cert next year, and just considering doing a portfolio for IADT or NCAD. i have my doubts though, as i realy dont know what the ANIMATION course is like? is the portfolio worth doing for something your unsure about :confused:
    i also heard that when your doing any art course, that you mostly draw from your head, creating ideas, which i cannot do. i love drawing but i always have to get ideas from a picture or image or view :/
    If anyone was studying animation atm, or in fact any art course in dublin, could you please give me your advice :) thanks.

I'm not on the course (Yet hopefully!) but I am constructing my portfolio so I can help a Little.
    First off - the portfolio takes a lot and lot of time. If you're still in 5th year, do a portfolio course over summer. It's the biggest regret I have of not doing one.
    But the thing is you cannot copy from pictures in the portfolio. On the open day, they were talking about drawing animals and some kid said 'but they never stay still, do we just photograph them?' and they recommend to Really not do that. If you're drawing from images and whatnot then perhaps it's not the best course for you because as far as I can tell animation does require a good amount of creativity. You can use images to inspire, maybe even take say lips from picture and draw them onto someone but you can't really just draw the full image because it's not your own work and that's what they seem to be interested in.
    Also you are going to have to do a storyboard which is for the most part from your imagination, as well as the visual diaries. But different courses require different portfolios but Really really think about it.

I hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Animad

Hi, I am also in fifth year and would love to study animation in college and pursue a career in the field :D

I'm sorry that this post is a bit off topic but I can't decide what college is best, IADT (Dun Laoghaire) or BCFE (Ballyfermot).

I have been lucky enough to talk to some great animators about this like Richard Baneham, some of the guys in Brown Bag Films and a few others. The only problem is that they all love their own colleges so much that they found it hard to give me an unbiased opinion :confused:

From what I am hearing BCFE used to be the best but now some good teachers from there have moved to IADT and IADT have changed their course to be much more similar to BCFE's course. Also the facilities are better in IADT although it is easier for me to get to BCFE.

I have thought a lot about this but still can't come to any final conclusions.

I would really appreciate if anybody could help me out and give me their views of the two animation courses and colleges?? :)

Advertisement