Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" developers

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

The lead news article in this weeks Fingal Independent highlights a proposed development on 25 acres at Holmpatrick in Skerries which "is driven by a consortium of local business people". The proposal includes plans for "25 luxury houses, a 30 bed hotel and adjoining conference centre, as well as a swimming pool, gymnasium and outdoor playing fields and changing facilities for local clubs".

The latter community oriented facilities sound like a welcome and much needed development and depending on the impact on the local environment will probably be much welcomed.

What caught my eye though was that the spokesperson for the consortium was reported as being Joe Corr Green party member and ex Green councillor. Joe Corr lost his seat in the last elections possibly due in part at least to the fact that he voted in favour of a proposal to build 1000 new houses in Rush. He also actively canvased other councillors to vote through that proposal. Locals were stunned that one of their own would vote for such a development in a town which had so few facilities and major existing infrastructure problems and indeed many unsold houses in current new developments. It also seemed totally contrary to Green Party policy against urban sprawl. We scratched our heads in bewilderment at what could possibly have motivated Mr. Corr in his decision and voted him off the council.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I dont know this Joe Corr you speak of but he sounds like an awefull chap all together.

goes to get pitchfork

Is he an elected offical?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

I dont know this Joe Corr you speak of but he sounds like an awefull chap all together.

goes to get pitchfork

Is he an elected offical?

Was. Read the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Is this not the same development that is being backed by a subsidiary of Treasury Holdings?

Apologies for the ignorance if it's not. I believe the Treasury project is located in Milverton, is this the same area?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Eoineo wrote: »
    Is this not the same development that is being backed by a subsidiary of Treasury Holdings?

Apologies for the ignorance if it's not. I believe the Treasury project is located in Milverton, is this the same area?
    No, the Treasury Holdings development is much bigger, and probably 1-2km away from Holmpatrick

I am slightly perplexed, as I am not sure the demand is currently there for this type of development (the one at Milverton seems to be going nowhere fast).

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

imokyrok wrote: »
    The lead news article in this weeks Fingal Independent highlights a proposed development on 25 acres at Holmpatrick in Skerries which "is driven by a consortium of local business people". The proposal includes plans for "25 luxury houses, a 30 bed hotel and adjoining conference centre, as well as a swimming pool, gymnasium and outdoor playing fields and changing facilities for local clubs".

The latter community oriented facilities sound like a welcome and much needed development and depending on the impact on the local environment will probably be much welcomed.

What caught my eye though was that the spokesperson for the consortium was reported as being Joe Corr Green party member and ex Green councillor. Joe Corr lost his seat in the last elections possibly due in part at least to the fact that he voted in favour of a proposal to build 1000 new houses in Rush. He also actively canvased other councillors to vote through that proposal. Locals were stunned that one of their own would vote for such a development in a town which had so few facilities and major existing infrastructure problems and indeed many unsold houses in current new developments. It also seemed totally contrary to Green Party policy against urban sprawl. We scratched our heads in bewilderment at what could possibly have motivated Mr. Corr in his decision and voted him off the council.

Would you like a big stick with your pot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Would you like a big stick with your pot?

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Not sure where the o.p is coming from but I cant see Joe Corr being involved in any "unusual" dealings. Do you know what he works at? Or who he works for? I would say this is positive development. it looks a welcome addition to Skerries clubs some of whom have played home games in Newbridge House because their was no pitch in Skerries. A swimming pool now there is a saving for Fingal C.C. if the builders have to guarentee so many community hours.....

A lot of what Joe Corr done is overlooked. He done a great deal of work on behalf of a lot of residents Assoc and clubs in North Fingal. Just wait for the new Library to open. The provision of this wonderful facility is mainly down to Joe Corr. So say 2 people in Fingal who say he worked tirelessly on this and other projects in Rush, Lusk , Skerries and Balbriggan

Firstly let me lay my cards down. I am not a memeber of any political party. Its the first time my No 1 didnt go to F.F or S.F. It went to Joe and not because of the current state of our finances, but from what I had seen and heard from others. In my opinion he was and remains an honourable person.
    I had a particular interest in this as I was chairman of the biggest club in Rush, St. Maurs G.A.A club and I regard myself as a person who has an interest in how Rush develops and how Fingal develops around us.

The initial development in Rush was not proposed by Joe Corr from what I hear. Joe did vote in favour of it on the basis that the problems with Goldenrige would be sorted out and any proposed development would be front loaded with the provision of facilities, Secondary school and primary school both on Park Rd, playing facilities for St.Maurs G.A.A club and Rush Athletic and I think Rush Cricket Club. Joe also campaigned to have the promised feeder bus to Goldenridge provided.

The main reason Joe was not elected was over a by-pass that is proposed to run by the back of Woodlands/Woodbury(paralled to Park Rd) and come out near Cairn hill. The argument put forward was it was not a real by-pass as it had a weight restriction so H.G.Vs would still have to go down the main st. Also residents were not happy with the proposed loction of the Tesco store at the junction of Park Rd and Whitestown Rd. The residents Assoc did not want Tesco or the by-pass. This By-Pass has been in the pipeline for years and was initally to go halfway between Train Station and Town.

I have met quite a few local reps and T.D.s and Joe Corr was without doubt one of the most honest and had a lot more foresight than a lot of the people........ he had to deal with.

I feel at this stage this part of Fingal needs some quality development whether they be luxury homes, a good hotel, confrence centre.

Sorry for going on but I feel Joe done enough good to warrent a bit of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the old gaa pitch (bri... ) sweetner, its a classic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

the old gaa pitch (bri... ) sweetner, its a classic

Care to expand or are you just a begrudger? And of course I suppose your going to back up that stupid comment.

Before I make a point on the development let me deal with the above post as best I can.

Some people actually do what is right for their community. If you have a braincell you ask anyone around Rush what I do, or what I try to do for the youth of this parish and our community in general.. I may not always succeed but I do my best.

I stated fairly clearly my points in the previous post but I will make it a little more simple for you.
    1) I know Joe Corr. I dont go drinking with him but I know him from aroud.
    2) I met Joe Corr on numerous occasions.
    3) I also met other politicans. James Reilly, Darragh O'Brien, Stephen O'Connell and I delegated people to lobby others as much as possible for what we were looking ...
    4) I LOBBIED ON BEHALF OF A DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED COMMITTEE. (and will continue to do so)
    5) In my meetings with the politicans I found them for the most part to be decent people.
    6) I found Joe Corr very honest,
    7) I also lobby Fingal C.C on issues which I feel are important to our community

Any of these politicans will confirm that while I have strong G.A.A views I also raised the lack of facilities for other sports clubs in this part of Fingal. However,, my main reason for contacting them was to do with the approach roads to Aras Naomh Maur which are in a dangerous state. Dublin C.C gave us planning permission for clubhouse but have done nothing to approach roads in the 26 years since we opened our doors. My meetings with the politicans were to look for 6 public lights and footpath on Park Rd and 6 public lights on Palmer Rd and also a footpath. Despite the great facility we have elderly people cant walk to the club safely. It would also give youth somewhere to go.

I would also like to point out that I as chairman of St. Maurs continued an open door policy of offering our facilities to any organisation in our parish who needed a venue.

St. Maurs offered a site free of charge for a public swimming pool in 1994
    I as chairman offer a site for Gael Scoil Ros Eo, and they now have 2 classrooms in our club.

I have never compromised myself for any politican, Have you?
    So take your silly comment and .............. (I dont want to banned)

I really look forward to your reply.

As for the development mentioned in previous post.
    Some people will cherry pick what they want in any development.
    Quote imokyrok The latter community oriented facilities sound like a welcome and much needed development and depending on the impact on the local environment will probably be much welcomed.

If community hours are offered in the swimming pool surly this will be a welcome addition to Skerries? I would have also thought a hotel and conference centre would be welcome and a decent Gym. Whats the problem with luxury home? Do you begrudge people with money spending it?
    It is of course vital that the development does not have a negative impact on enviroment.

Anyway thats that. have to run off and hatch my next little plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Play nice. Attack the post - not the poster. HB

• Advertisement
Advertisement