Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

braodband dunmore road?

• 01-09-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

currently with ntl...want to go to sky...havent a clue what to do about broadband..anyone any ideas..whats everyone on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

currently with ntl...want to go to sky...havent a clue what to do about broadband..anyone any ideas..whats everyone on?

You can keep broadband with NTL without TV but you have to pay an additional €6 a month.
    Don't think you can get broadband with Sky in Ireland, but I don't think that's what you meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

If you have a laptop and only one broadband user, why not try the vodafone or O2 modems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

those modems are fairly crap to be honest compared to the landline providers.even go slightly over your download limit and you get charged a fortune.The father in law got the vodaphone one and its one of the worst pieces of ****e I haave ever had the misfortune to come across.From looking around myself, when I faced the same choice, I decided to stick with the UPC broadband 20mb connection.Seems to be the cheapest and unlimited download limit so as I play alot of online games it suites me grand. only one that came close was B2 but that was around a tenner more a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Meatwad wrote: »
    those modems are fairly crap to be honest compared to the landline providers.even go slightly over your download limit and you get charged a fortune.The father in law got the vodaphone one and its one of the worst pieces of ****e I haave ever had the misfortune to come across.From looking around myself, when I faced the same choice, I decided to stick with the UPC broadband 20mb connection.Seems to be the cheapest and unlimited download limit so as I play alot of online games it suites me grand. only one that came close was B2 but that was around a tenner more a month.
    I 100% agree with Meatwad. Mobile Broadband (o2, vodafone etc) is crap and unreliable. The contention ratio brings you connection to a crawl when lots of users log in and use the same cell. I know so many people got stuck in a 1 year contract and unable to surf the net cause it slows down dramatically at certain times due to load of users sharing the connection (this is why contention ratio is suss out before signing up). The ONLY time I would recommend Moile Broadband to anyone is if they were on the road a lot and need to read emails. Other than that I would not recommend it to anyone. You might be able to try it out for 1 month before you contract is cemented if you are thinking about it. But once in the contract say goodbye to your value for money.

NTL/UPC are not the worst in my opinion, they have their moments where you can give out about them but in comparison to the others, the price and bandwidth is quite good.

If you are still hardset on not using NTL/UPC have a look here to give yourself and idea of what is available to you.
    http://broadband.gov.ie/

Advertisement