Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subway donegal town gone ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

They mustnt have been able to hang on until the school re-opened... are rates on the Diamond a bit high, someone was saying

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Jeez, another shop gone. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

Doesn't this and the other thread make the developments (especially the apartments) seem a bit pie in the sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byte wrote: »
    Jeez, another shop gone. :(

starting to look a bit of a ghost town, we really needed those bigger developments to keep the town rolling, shame they'll never happen

byte

Agreed. I haven't heard any more about the proposed Aldi out the Mullans after the "observations"

As for the Magee or mart site... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

starting to look a bit of a ghost town, we really needed those bigger developments to keep the town rolling, shame they'll never happen

It's Donegal Town, not Galway or some city. Wasn't there meant to be 200 apartments going up? For who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Seen that yeaterday in fact was in it last week for lunch anytime I went by there was always people eating in it so I find it surprising for a company like Subway to close like that you would think the School trade would keep it going during the winter.

New appartments above the new Super Valu in Ballybofey, every one of them empty... office space upstairs beside the new Balor theatre, empty.... new appartments at Reids filling station at McClay's corner, mostly empty. Aisling Court new estate on way into Ballybofey on left, more than half empty. Abandoned estate of half finished houses opposite The Beeches estate. Units behind Heany's car park, all vacant. Letterkenny retail units, half empty. Hotels unoccupied mid week, new estates half empty.... not counting the numerous two story detatched houses....all for sale

30% of houses in Doneagl unoccupied on the night of the last census, alot more houses have gone up since then. Moss growing on the roofs of the unoccupied houses and the front lawns overgrown with weeds. Estate agents closing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

.......30% of houses in Doneagl unoccupied on the night of the last census, alot more houses have gone up since then. Moss growing on the roofs of the unoccupied houses and the front lawns overgrown with weeds. Estate agents closing up.

At least there are some positives!!!

Salvelinus wrote: »
    It's Donegal Town, not Galway or some city. Wasn't there meant to be 200 apartments going up? For who?
    meant possible tesco dunnes pennys, the apartments were always a dodgy one, but there was always a shortage of 1 and 2 bed accom.

• Advertisement

dazza21ie wrote: »
    At least there are some positives!!!

I think that must have been the most negative post I ever wrote... its only tongue and cheek dramatics :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

I bet the Landlord of those premises is livid that there is no new developments happening in Donegal Town, because if we had those developments, the town would have a greater footfall and business would have a good chance of survival....:o

So thats,
    Subway-Gone
    Filet of Sole- Gone
    The Indian-Gone

I heard a rumour of a chemist and a hotel also being in bother!! (anyone else hear this?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Chemist gone, Eske Pharmacy I think it was although why it even opened I dont know with the opposition already well in place.

KFC are supposed to be moving in to the Subway spot but not 100% sure on this. The boutique located in the arch is shutting down this week too. Place is looking really bare.

On a side note, went to buy the young fella a pair of runners today in a sports shop in the town and an uninterested 16 year old "Sports Advisor" dragged himself away from the Sun at the desk to mumble that he was'nt sure if they had his size and could'nt find the foot measuring equipment.

After an uncomfortable silence we just left and went around to another sports shop where we waited ten minutes for the young attendent to finish her conversation with her friend and walk straight by us to another friend who had only walked in to the shop a minute earlier.

Good luck, I'll buy elsewhere from now on. I thought the town was desperate for trade? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I looked at this thread and thought first:
    "Feck, there was a subway in Donegal town? Its hardly big enough to have a subway, they kept it fairly quiet. I wonder if it's like New York or Londons one?"

On a serious note, Subway is franchised and an expensive franchise to get into at that. Together with relatively high rents and that fee as well as staff costs etc, you really do need to be turning over a fair bit. A sign of the times I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Have to agree about the sports shop service. Experienced the complete lack of it last weekend. Why employers won't invest a little on staff training techniques etc or even go down the commission road is beyond me. Ah well you reap what you sow I guess.

byte

KFC are supposed to be moving in to the Subway spot but not 100% sure on this.
    Funny, I heard the same thing today, but you hear all sorts of crap these days.

I also heard there's a pizza place opening where Juicy News was.

BTW, I didn't realise Eske Pharmacy closed? They're not long open, but yeah, would've been hard to compete with the already established chemists/pharmacies.

As for shop service in the sports shops, it's not unique to these IMO. A few various shops come to mind where general courtesy from staff doesn't seem to be part of their job description.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

irish1967 wrote: »
    Have to agree about the sports shop service. Experienced the complete lack of it last weekend. Why employers won't invest a little on staff training techniques etc or even go down the commission road is beyond me. Ah well you reap what you sow I guess.
    Sorry, couldnt resist :)
    An 18 year old itininerant lad gets a job in a sports shop.

The boss explains the selling tactics to him and tells him to always
    make sure the customer gets the right product for its intended use use.

A bit later a young lady enters the shop and the boss tells the itinerant lad to observe as he sells the right item.

She asks for a pair of tennis shoes and the boss says: "Are they for clay or grass" ? She indicates grass and the boss picks out the correct type of shoes for her.

Some time later a man enters the shop and the boss sends the young lad to serve him.

Lad: "can I help you"

Man: I am looking for a baseball bat.

Lad: "Is it for a wedding or a funeral"

Touché

LoanShark wrote: »
    I bet the Landlord of those premises is livid that there is no new developments happening in Donegal Town, because if we had those developments, the town would have a greater footfall and business would have a good chance of survival....:o

So thats,
    Subway-Gone
    Filet of Sole- Gone
    The Indian-Gone

I heard a rumour of a chemist and a hotel also being in bother!! (anyone else hear this?)
    when did the indian go ? was going to get a curry saturday night but got chinese instead never heard that

dont starton hotels or byte will lock the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

KFC-OMG! (secretly I cant wait if this would be true!)

The pizza place seems to have died a death,He was all go in doing it about four months ago..I think that would be a runner!

The indian was shut last saturday night when I was going around.

I never thought both sports shops had bad service, I was not too pushed on the Chain Store one because they never had much of an offering..But the other one was always good!

Kippy--You didn't know there was an Subway in donegal town!!!! It runs from the castle to the old abbey;)

• Advertisement

Kippy--You didn't know there was an Subway in donegal town!!!! It runs from the castle to the old abbey;)

You heard this rumor too? :) I first heard this way back when I was at the AVS... I heard they sent a dog down one time to see if it would come out the other side and it never reappeared.....:eek:

Dont you mean it runs from The Olde Castle to The Abbey . Now that would be a very handy tunnel late on a wet night.;)

byte

dont starton hotels or byte will lock the thread

That's gonna be impossible for me to do! :)

WRT the Indian, I didn't realised it was closed down? Maybe it's closed for Ramadan? *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 CB11

Heard them rumors 2 while workin in the sports store in Donegal(the chain 1).

usually work in LK 1 so dont worry i dont take any offence 2 any of the comments

That's gonna be impossible for me to do! :)

WRT the Indian, I didn't realised it was closed down? Maybe it's closed for Ramadan? *shrug*

sorry meant muffler (appropriate really :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sorry meant muffler (appropriate really :D )
    Thats why I choose that nick ;)

byte

Noticed Shapla was closed tonight also. So they're either gone or closed for Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Noticed Shapla was closed tonight also. So they're either gone or closed for Ramadan.

Never ever heard of an Indian restaurant closing for Ramadan before very strange :confused:

was told shapla's closed today (talking to a friend who's closing up:( )

• Advertisement
    byte

Never ever heard of an Indian restaurant closing for Ramadan before very strange :confused:
    Aye, but the all-day temptation would be there! :)

Anyway, seems Ed has confirmed its demise. :( Anyone know if the one in Letterkenny is still open?

Advertisement