Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a course?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Can anyone suggest a course for next year in college? i.e course and the college

I got 350 in the leaving cert a few years back and did business, geography and 2 languages but Ill only do business and languages as a last resort (not a big fan)

Anything practical's always a bonus but i dont know of any outside of engineering

Only requirement from me is that its in Dublin and preferably at a bigger uni.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Can't go wrong with Chemistry in my opinion :).

I'm in Cork though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭bibbly

I would strongly staying away Arts type subjects, Career guides will tell you they are great broad courses if you don't know what you want to do..

But in the real world this is nonsence..

Think you about hard skills,, something that will make life easier getting a job both getting a job, and something you find interesting.

A college course should present you with a challange,, if you find it too easy, or you find you dread going in in the morning... you are in the wrong course..

If I was starting again, I would have studied computer science..

Look closely at IT, new media, all aspects of web design, if there is anything there of interest, I would recommend it.. these qualifications you can take with you anywhere in the world.. and can build on throughout your career,, keeping you ahead of the game and valuable..

Look at Science, research,.. chemistry, etc..

Hard skills,, forget, Law, Arts, general business qualifications,, specifics Accountant,

Its the people who can charge for thier particlar skills that make the money, not everyone else..

Luckily most IT courses and Science courses are around your points range.. be prepared to work hard, days of walking into a job are over... keep your grades up from first year,, as some employers will look for every years results..

Also, enjoy college life, join some clubs, i regret not doing more than just going out on the piss..
    good luck..

Advertisement