Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIFE (Drogheda) - anyone doing/done a course there?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

DIFE (Drogheda) - anyone doing/done a full-time course there? (Have posted in Education also)...

Just wondering if anyone is doing a course or has done a course in DIFE (Drogheda Institute of Further Education).... I'm a mature student and considering a year long course and wondering how flexible they are (I'll have to arrange childcare as children are in School)....

Txs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

I was in DIFE a few years ago when it first opened and they were very flexible especially if they understood that people had families to take into consideration.

Perhaps raise your concerns when you go to the interview? (I know when I went I had an interview before being accepted anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Nickibaby* wrote: »
    I was in DIFE a few years ago when it first opened and they were very flexible especially if they understood that people had families to take into consideration.

Perhaps raise your concerns when you go to the interview? (I know when I went I had an interview before being accepted anyway)

Thank you for your reply Nickibaby* ... I had the interview today and was told that I would be accepted ... the timetable has not been drawn up yet and I did raise my concerns about fitting it all in/childcare and I got the impression that they would be flexible.... so I guess, I'll just have to wait until I see the timetable to ensure it will work for me.....I really want to do it but have to balance it all and the financials of the childcare costs...so I'm a bit in limbo!!!

I never thought to ask about the costs :o - can you remember approx. what your course cost you.. I assume I have to pay a registration fee/fetac exam fee.... and probably some course materials?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭tanyaog2007

hello :) im doing dental nursing missed my reg yday hopfully il be able to do it tomrw. my friend did the plc child course in gti, her hours were 9-4 most days, and u have a half day on a friday i think. the reg for the yr is 175E.

sorry i read it wrong i was sure u it said u were doing a chilcare course

hello :) im doing dental nursing missed my reg yday hopfully il be able to do it tomrw. my friend did the plc child course in gti, her hours were 9-4 most days, and u have a half day on a friday i think. the reg for the yr is 175E.

sorry i read it wrong i was sure u it said u were doing a chilcare course

txs for that... now I know how much the registration fee will be... i'm doing the art portfolio course (I'm so excited and so nervous..mad stuff..I'm a 'mature' student so reckon thats why I'm all jittery!)........ I asked the DIFE office what the hours where and was 'strictly' told 9-4.... but when I asked a few of the students... they reckoned you could work round the times a bit... so I'll just have to patient and wait and see the timetable... wish I had it now though so I could organise the childcare/financials!!... Best of luck for your dental nursing...

justagirl wrote: »
    txs for that... now I know how much the registration fee will be... i'm doing the art portfolio course (I'm so excited and so nervous..mad stuff..I'm a 'mature' student so reckon thats why I'm all jittery!)........ I asked the DIFE office what the hours where and was 'strictly' told 9-4.... but when I asked a few of the students... they reckoned you could work round the times a bit... so I'll just have to patient and wait and see the timetable... wish I had it now though so I could organise the childcare/financials!!... Best of luck for your dental nursing...

thank u and u too .ul be grand, it will take a few weeks to settle in. i did a interior design course, the teacher will prob have ordered all the paints and stuff like that it should be around 50e, they will be other bits and pieces through out the yr but it wont cost that much. ya ul be fine like as long as u get the work done it shoudnt that much trouble if they know ya have children.

• Advertisement

Cheers... did you enjoy the interior design course?... and also, forgot to ask ... do the DIFE holidays run the same as the school holidays do you know? ...txs

ya i loved it, il carry it on in a few yrs doe. ya the hoildays are pretty much the same as school ones . think our first hol is in oct for a week or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Hi Tanya,

Did you manage to find somewhere to live?

Good luck with the course justagirl - I'm sure it will be fine.

hey devil,
    yup got a aparment in mill wharf, good bit away from the coll i think , got totaly lost yday looking for it and ended up on the other side of town :o ha ha.miss galway doe :(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

hey devil,
    yup got a aparment in mill wharf, good bit away from the coll i think , got totaly lost yday looking for it and ended up on the other side of town :o ha ha.miss galway doe :(

Yeah it's a good walk from DIFE - 25-30 mins I'd imagine. it will keep you fit anyway! :) You are close to all the pubs/shops etc. so thats definetely an upside.

No place like home, Tanya.

• Advertisement

ya its a bit out of the way but the walking will do me good anyway :p
    yup like 2mins away from the shppping centre so happy days ha :D
    def not missing my mammys cooking now aswell ha ha :o but ya its grand like its only for a year anyway like

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭McConnon

I'm starting this year too, on the 14th of this month to be exact.

Congratz on getting in justagirl, I heard the college was FLOODED with applications this year.

Hope ya like Drogheda tanyaog2007! It's not a bad wee town.

Hi McConnon - are you doing the art portfolio course?.... I haven't got a confirmation letter or anything from them yet so am a bit anxious!!... I was told not to worry and that some people started last year in October?... Do you have a timetable yet? Reason why I'm anxious is I will have to organise childcare but don't know when I'll need it so can't organise .... argh!!:eek:

No justagirl, I'm doin' Liberal Arts.

Registered last Tuesday and was asked if I could maybe go in on the Thursday (this Thursday coming) for an introduction to the course.. but was told they'd let me know for definite. So far I haven't heard anything from them, gonna ring them tomorrow.

No time-table as of yet either!

McConnon wrote: »
    No justagirl, I'm doin' Liberal Arts.

Registered last Tuesday and was asked if I could maybe go in on the Thursday (this Thursday coming) for an introduction to the course.. but was told they'd let me know for definite. So far I haven't heard anything from them, gonna ring them tomorrow.

No time-table as of yet either!

oh sorry... I was given a 'verbal' acceptance and told that the confirmation letter etc would follow, guess I'm just panicking :o, I have tried to buzz them today but keeps ringing out...

i'm sure they have been overwhelmed by the applications this year...

best of luck with the liberal arts course... if you see a stressed red faced mumsy figure running about in a couple of weeks time, it will be me :D

Aw, justagirl, I was the exact same waiting for that confirmation letter. Think I was waiting about two or three weeks after my interview before I got it! I had the poor postman tortured HAHA! :P..

Best of luck with your art portfolio course too, looks like a great course! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joannereilly

I started the course last year, left DIFE at Christmas and continued going to Newry one morning a week and did an extra day work experience ( anyone doing this course should have this sorted in the first week or so there aren't that many dentists willing to take you on) out of 7 that started in DIFE only 2 sat the FETAC exams there only 5 of us sat the dental nursing exam in Belfast 2 have deffered till November.
    You will need to be dedicated not that I wasn't I did my leaving 8 years ago and found that both courses were too tough for me personally

McConnon wrote: »
    Aw, justagirl, I was the exact same waiting for that confirmation letter. Think I was waiting about two or three weeks after my interview before I got it! I had the poor postman tortured HAHA! :P..

Best of luck with your art portfolio course too, looks like a great course! :)

LOL...I just rang DIFE (their mailbox is full so v. difficult trying to get through to them)... I asked re: the art portfolio course and was advised that the course coordinator has not got a list of successful applicants drawn up yet .... I asked when the course will start and was advised this Monday 14th.... !!

The waiting continues....... :)

Hope ya like Drogheda tanyaog2007! It's not a bad wee town.[/quote]

thanks McConnon im getting to know the place now :)

Advertisement