Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Profiteroles - Anyone done them?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I tried with help from channel 4 Ramsay F Word site. God he makes it look so easy.
    My complaints were, profiteroles burnt slightly at 18 mins in oven on 200c and second batch were in for 16 mins at 200c and much the same. They were on greaseproof paper, yet they still stuck to the greaseproof paper :-(
    I found they didnt rise either, they were quite flat.
    What's people's experiences, they are hard to do, yes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Not sure what you are doing wrong. For the sticking issue, maybe buy 'magic paper' and bake them on that. I never have any trouble with them. see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055669025 They don't rise too much - so long as they have that empty pocket for filling in the middle :) For the burning, just turn down the temp a bit or keep reducing cooking times until you crack it. Just try cooking one or two at a time until you figure it out. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks a lot Sweet-rasmus, ill try.
    So simple try one at a time, didnt know why i didnt think of that myself! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I think it's all about the oven tbh. I have a crappy one, and tried to do Paris Brest there a while back. Didn't really rise! So a fairly hot oven & don't open it I reckon. Did you open the oven within the first 10 mins?
    Greaseproof paper isn't really non-stick. You'll need to get parchement paper. But then, there is so much butter in choux pastry, it really shouldn't stick at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Must try that soon...... yum....

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

overmantle wrote: »
    Must try that soon...... yum....

definitely, that and making lemon cheese cake are on my list for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

a bit difficult to do, you have to use the exact portions of ingredients and follow the instructions in a proper way, I have a recipe in a book called Eggs by Michael Roux, I will post it when I get back home :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

i remember reading that if you let the mixture go cold for a bit,they rise better,this will work when you have those eclair trays,itl depend on how runny the mixture is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

i remember reading that if you let the mixture go cold for a bit,they rise better,this will work when you have those eclair trays,itl depend on how runny the mixture is

Yes, that is one of the keys. But the time to let it go cold is before you put in the eggs (ie. after you have mixed the flour, water and butter). Leaving it to go cold then will dehydrate it ensuring that after you add the eggs it will not be too liquidly.

Another tip is to wet the spoon you use to spoon the raw profiteroles on each spoon and then wet your finger and rub it over the top of each profiterole. This helps to ensure a bit of crispiness.

And also sprinke a bit of water into the oven which will help the rising process.

And finally, as soon as you take them out of the oven, pierce each one to let the hot moist air out so the inside dries out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

drkpower wrote: »
    Yes, that is one of the keys. But the time to let it go cold is before you put in the eggs (ie. after you have mixed the flour, water and butter). Leaving it to go cold then will dehydrate it ensuring that after you add the eggs it will not be too liquidly.

Another tip is to wet the spoon you use to spoon the raw profiteroles on each spoon and then wet your finger and rub it over the top of each profiterole. This helps to ensure a bit of crispiness.

And also sprinke a bit of water into the oven which will help the rising process.

And finally, as soon as you take them out of the oven, pierce each one to let the hot moist air out so the inside dries out a bit.

it was actualy just before putting them in the oven.its important that the mixture is cooled before adding eggs so you dont get scrambled eggs.if you brush the top with beaten egg it gives lovely shiny brown colour.also if fill a large roasting tin with water when preheating at the bottom shelf it will create a sort of steam oven effect,just be careful opening oven to put them in.i used old roasting.tray so if water runs out its hardy roasting tray.i use mary berrys recipe,made the few days ago and they were crispy and really well risen in the oven.more of a profiteclair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

what recipe are you using ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I recently used Rachel Allens chocolate eclair recipe for making profiteroles and chocolate eclairs, they were both unbelievable and far far nicer than anything you'd ever buy in a shop!

Choux pastry is easy enough and very fast to make, the chantilly cream is to gorgeous too :) PM me if you need the recipe and I can send it on to your email address.

Advertisement