Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newtown, good or BAD?

• 01-09-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

We've just moved back to IRL, and were thinking of a move to NewtownmountKennedy, nice village, great house, good enough transport links, then I heard it was totally dodgy and even Dunnes is not bothering to open there. (Maybe someone could verify that?) I noticed a thread to this effect, but it's from last year so hoping something has changed.
    Looking to stay around the Greystones area, but does anyone recommend Newtown as a good place to live (with a seven yr old), or tell me a bit about the calibre of restaurants and pubs, community, shopping and quality of life? (Looks nice to me!).
    Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The Dunnes is opening afaik. I recall reading it in one of the freebie papers. Newtown is fine, but if you want to live near Greystones, why not live in Greystones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Before other wicklow people rip me to shreds I am going to say that I am born and bred in Newtown though I live in Wicklow town now.
    & I've lived in 3 places in my time in newtown.

I going to come out and say that I dont like the place, we can only go by what we see and I see what could have been a nice place ruined throughout the 80's & 90's by an influx of unsavoury elements from outside wicklow.
    The place has never really recovered from it.

The new park hotel and adjoining developments cant cover up a place that is still ugly as sin once you pass the church.

Perceptions Do matter, and whenever I drove past the new hotel the bus stop glass was usually smashed up as it always was and probably always shall be.

Its got great sporting pedigree, and there is a community spirit that is emerging more so that it was able to do in the past.

Its just my opinion but I think there are better places in wicklow you could raise a child in.

Newtown may become a better place, but in the here & now I would look elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Less expensive for larger and more comfortable accommodation in Newtown.

and thanks for your frankness, Spank-inferno...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

I have lived in newtown all my life so i am a bit biased its a small village which has had a lot of development in recent times (celtic tiger)NEW estates rossmore for example a new council estate.I never thought there would a hotel here a new town centre with a small park with river going through it (no swings or slides).So far just a chemist and a book shop in the centre this is where Dunnes stores is to be located due to open in october they are advertising for staff in cornelscourt thats the word on the street any way.There is two chineses an indian, normal chipper and a pizzeria which is opening soon are advertising for staff there is good food to be had in the pub mountkennedy inn.Post office bookies two grocery shops Eugenes and sentra and yes with an s and a clothes shop Fly fishers for the country gent which also has a coffee shop The buttery.Like all towns we have our problems drugs and stuff there is a good comunity spirit its mainly a working class town.It has a good comunity centre which has lots of activities money for which was raised locally.Dublin bus run a fairly regular service that goes to greystones and Bray six days a week sundays are a bit sparce Bus eireann run hourly service on the half hour that to dublin city centre through to Dublin airport.I hope you fell a bit more informed i am sure other people will fill in what i have missed

• Advertisement

Thanks for the informative answer, bogtreader. I think we'll have to have a walk around the area ourselves, and although I'm no stranger to rougher areas, most peoples' reports on Newtown is making me wonder if it's a decent spot at all, and not just here on boards, but also word on the street opines that it's somewhat bad-ass....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have you looked at Kilcoole? - still cheaper than Greystones, but IMO a nicer spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

As a bray man with friends in Newtown, all i can say is run, run in the opposite direction and never look back...

As for Kilcoole, the same, a hick village with fxxk all in it...

The same goes for Bray i'm afraid. No decent shopping anymore and too many junkies...

Try Greystones if you can afford it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

I'd steer clear of Newtown unless you absolutely have to. I've a couple of friends there and they're afraid to walk down to the chipper, local shop, pub. Bus service isn't what it's cracked up to be either especially with a child.

I actually think that Kilcoole has come on a lot and would happily live there myself, sure it's not perfect but has a couple of nice pubs, decent coffee shop, supermarket and good schools.

Grew up in Greystones and always intended to settle there but seriously not liking the way things are going now. Not a popular opinion but I'd be seriously worried about how things will be in 5-10 years. Reckon there may be huge problems with anti-social behaviour given the huge increase in population without appropriate amenities. I think a lot of people like myself, thinking of buying in Greystones now that things are getting a little bit cheaper are going to be sorely disappointed. The greystones of ten, even five, years ago is long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

chocgirl wrote: »
    Grew up in Greystones and always intended to settle there but seriously not liking the way things are going now. Not a popular opinion but I'd be seriously worried about how things will be in 5-10 years. Reckon there may be huge problems with anti-social behaviour given the huge increase in population without appropriate amenities. I think a lot of people like myself, thinking of buying in Greystones now that things are getting a little bit cheaper are going to be sorely disappointed. The greystones of ten, even five, years ago is long gone.

I think you could delete "Greystones" and replace with any town name in Ireland and the same would apply. This is a societal thing, not unique to any one town.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by appropriate amenities. Greystones must be one of the best served towns in Ireland with respect to sports clubs, playground, schools, swimming pool. Many towns in Ireland are crying out for such amenities.

• Advertisement

Along with all these glowing reports, I think I am well-armed to make a decision about Newtown as soon as I take a proper walk through it myself, at night, to the chipper, and then wait for a bus! Thank you all for your well thought out replies... will probably take a look at Charlesland now. Greystones is a great place to live, but it's hard to find something that fits all the criteria that we are looking for in a rental home.
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭sasmac

Just to let you know there was a new thread started recently under the Irish for newtown ( Baile an Chinnedigh )have a look as it talks about schools and other stuff. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

chocgirl wrote: »
    Not a popular opinion but I'd be seriously worried about how things will be in 5-10 years. Reckon there may be huge problems with anti-social behaviour given the huge increase in population without appropriate amenities.

Two coppers on the beat Friday and Saturday night from about 8 til 12 wandering up and down the main st in Greystones. Have to say i take people from the rank outside the station and everyone is well behaved. Infact i havent seen anything untoward while waiting for fares.

So we went to check out Newtown in daylight a couple of days ago. Not as cute as I remember it, seems a little run down even. The one thing I'd like to get to the bottom of is the story of that 2 storey abandoned building on main street. It's white,with smashed windows and seems to have been a grocer/butcher previously. I could be wrong, but I thought I saw a curtain twitching. Anyone have any idea what's happening there?
    Re: Greystones. Always gardai on the beat, day or night. I find it's a fab place to live, with loads of facilities. I checked out that other thread, Sasmac, thanks for the pointer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

4 years in Newtown, and to be honest we don't really do anything in the town. We have a nice house and lovely neighbours on the southern end. The hotel is nice and the shops and amenities are improving. The locals take great pride in the town and work tirelessly keeping it cleaning and planting flowers. Pub is a kip, but we are not pub people, and the people who run the 'Sentra' are a joke, so we avoid them. Dunnes opening is a great plus to the town.

Greystones is lovely but would stay well clear of Charlesland, huge with no sense of community by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

4 years in Newtown, and to be honest we don't really do anything in the town. We have a nice house and lovely neighbours on the southern end. The hotel is nice and the shops and amenities are improving. The locals take great pride in the town and work tirelessly keeping it cleaning and planting flowers. Pub is a kip, but we are not pub people, and the people who run the 'Sentra' are a joke, so we avoid them. Dunnes opening is a great plus to the town.

Greystones is lovely but would stay well clear of Charlesland, huge with no sense of community by all accounts.

I had something to eat in the Parkview last week and it was really good.

"by all accounts"??

plenty of first hand testimony to the contrary on the Charlesland forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=625

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

loyatemu wrote: »
    "by all accounts"??

Just citing feedback from a colleague who lives there, but it is big so I am sure there are many opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

loyatemu wrote: »
    "by all accounts"??

Unfortunately, alot of the threads in the forum now relate to dogs barking, noisy neighbours, noisy cars, bad parking, empty creches... the list is endless :D

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Unfortunately, alot of the threads in the forum now relate to dogs barking, noisy neighbours, noisy cars, bad parking, empty creches... the list is endless :D

there's also plenty of evidence of community spirit and the vast majority of posters who have expressed an opinion say they like living there.

Anyway - this thread is about Newtown...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blueflower

for the most part i find you wont get trouble unless you look for it. theres a few dodgy characters around but thats the same anywhere.

id often go for a walk in the evenings and id walk from up the end where the post office is down past the chipper and over towards kiladreenan. ive never come across anything more violent than a dirty look. ive often walked it in the dark with a friend, & while i wouldnt be comfortable walking it in the dark alone im not very comfortable walking anywhere in the dark alone.

thanks for all the replies - we decided on Charlesland in the end, as Greystones has such great facilities. The hanging 'H' in Newtown House in Newtownmountkennedy is a great photo op though ; )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

tattoo wrote: »

As for Kilcoole, the same, a hick village with fxxk all in it...

You should think before you post crap like that.

Kilcoole is a hell of alot better than most places in Wicklow. Plenty in it and loads of things within a reasonable distance. Every place has its faults which im sure you know only too well being a ''Bray man''.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Please stick the topic which is about Newtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 paularklow

stay clear. greystones nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ciaranoreilly

Well i have lived in newtown with my girlfriend for the last three years, i think its a nice place, its true Sentra is a dive. but its only a small shop in a village, and thats what you usually get in small villages. The new park hotel is a lovely place. The pub at the top of the town has now been renovated and is lovely inside. The bottom pub isn't a place i would recommend, okay if you know people, if not you stand out like a sore thumb. The abandoned building across from that, that someone reffered too is not apartments with a lovely pizza place below that closes at 10 so as not to annoy home owners.I would recommend Rossmore or Kiladreenan close if you are looking for houses, as the houses in season park etc arent as nice.

I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement