Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New system off HWVS - making a lot of noise

Options
  • 01-09-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi,

I just ordered a system from HWVS which arrived today. Just turned it on and am in the middle of installing Vista now....and a fan on the side of it seems to be making an awful lot of noise. Is that normal? Should it not be pretty much silent? The system spec is here: new PC thread on boards

First time I have bought a PC with extra fans etc so I'm hoping it's something that can be sorted because it's irritating me already!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I actually have one of those fans and it's not audible at all in mine...

Maybe it's rubbing off a cable?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Check for cables rubbing. Also check to make sure all the cheapie case fans are hooked up to the mobo (or at least the yellow PWM line, red/black may be attached to a big Molex from the PSU). That way they should have their speed controlled via PWM and if they continue to misbehave (as many do) then use SpeedFan to put a 70-90% speed cap on the fans as required to keep them from going at a speed high enough to resonate so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭jeff lebowski

Ok, I'll open her up and have a look once I have installed some stuff. It definitely shouldn't be making the noise it is so hopefully it's easily sorted.

The rattling noise has stopped now. It was afan on the bottom, the softer metal part of the case was kind of pushed up against it. I just pressed it and it popped back down.

So......first time even installing an OS. I have just put on Vista plus drivers for GFX card and stuff for the DVD burner. Do I need to install anything for the network card on the mobo? It wont pick up my broadband from the network cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yeah you need to install drivers for almost everything, sound, network, chipset etc etc.

• Advertisement

I'm an eejit. Just found the ASUS driver disc buried under a heap of stuff they had in the box. Just wondering about the noise....there is a "hum" off the PC now....would this be normal or should it be almost completely silent bar the usual HD noises and occassional increase in fan noise etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well there is that computer noise....

Are you sure you're not looking into it a bit too much?

Maybe your right. I'm probably just paranoid after it sounded like a tractor when I first turned it on!

Advertisement