Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

display woes in different browsers

• 01-09-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

(beginner alert!)

I'm working on a site for my company. It's my first one ^_^ so it's pretty basic stuff. created all my pages from a dreamweaver template I created, uploaded it to my own site to test it, all works fine. (in Firefox, on my laptop). checked it again on my work PC (internet explorer) and the right hand panel appears below the center panel, with the navigation links running onto two lines. (Also,on the banner, which is a red logo on a white backbround pasted onto a white banner, the white background behind the logo is slightly pink on my work screen, although in PS i eyedroppered it to check the colour number difference and there is none. i guess it could be the display on the monitor is all?)
    anyways, after banging my head off the wall for a bit, i tweaked around with the code and got the panels to stay put...in internet explorer, but now the right panel appears over the left panel in FF *cry*

if anyone's got any bright ideas, at this stage ill gladly accept the feeling of dumbassery when I find out it was the simplest error, but I'll be f-ed if I can fix it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I began learning to develop recently using dreamweaver myself. I love the program but you really still have to keep going back to google to find out what each bit of the code means and what some of the settings mean.

I think your problem here is your positioning options. You should read up on what each one does and start messing around from there. Otherwise your just gonna keep coming back to the same problems. Whats worse is you will spend ages on something,keep checking it in one browser and then you'll realise it looks awful in another browser.

You need to start messing around with the css styles (window -> css styles).
    Get rid of your float and margin options. Change your positioning option to absolute and start playing from there. Absolute means it will position itself to the correct pixels where "0" is the top left corner of the parent div(the div that your new div is inside). If there is no parent div then 0 will be the top left of the screen.

Personally I have gained alot more control over the look of my site on all browsers now using this.

Try and keep it simple and you will learn alot quicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Looks like your rightPanel needs to be floated right.
    At the moment it's set to float:none.

If you're starting out I would strongly advise against using dreamweaver.
    It doesn't teach you anything. I would suggest you find yourself a good text editor and code it by hand. Once you know the ins and outs of html and css then migrate to dreamweaver if you still want to (chances are you wont! ;)). Unless you know the basics then its going to be very difficult to debug these types of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

KJF wrote: »
    Looks like your rightPanel needs to be floated right.
    At the moment it's set to float:none.

If you're starting out I would strongly advise against using dreamweaver.
    It doesn't teach you anything. I would with a good text editor and code it by hand. Once you know the ins and outs of html and css then migrate to dreamweaver if you still want to (chances are you wont! ;)). Unless you know the basics then its going to be very difficult to debug these types of problems.

+1

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 351 ✭✭ron_darrell

+100

Dreamweaver makes for lazy designers imo. Learn how to do things yourself first then use tools to make it easier (though as previous poster mentioned you probably won't want to :) ). Also makes you more self-sufficient. Imagine the day you go to a new job and they don't have/don't use dreamweaver. You'd be kinda fracked wouldn't you :)

-RD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 skittle_fingers

Thanks for the help, all! when I changed the float to right it fixed one problem but caused another. I ended up duplicating the #rightPanel lump & having it in there twice, one with the float set to none, the other set to right, and it seemed to fix it. Everything's where it should be in both browsers now.

As for abandoning dreamweaver... :O ha, I do try to use the code part more, cos I know i should hand code, and I use notepad++ a good bit too. I guess Dreamweaver just has sort of a safety-net feeling to me :)

xxx

• Advertisement
Advertisement