Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can Ledley King's chronic knee problem ever be fixed?

• 01-09-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

I gotta say, massive kudos to Ledley for playing and training through his problem. The best player in the Spurs by a mile when he is fit.

Just wondering though, can this problem ever be fixed? The thought first struck when he was "called up" to the England squad a while back. Obviously it became clear that he wasn't able to play.

Does anyone know if he could ever get rid of the problem i.e take 12 months out and get the problem fixed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think itll always be there, look at marty laursen

Paul McGrath too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

According to Dr.Harry Redknapp,
    "There's no cure. There's no cartilage, nothing to operate on. It's just bone on bone. So it's just a question of managing it. It swells up after games and it normally takes seven days to recover but having played on Monday night he's had less time than usual. He rarely trains, he mostly just goes to the gym to keep himself ticking over. But not running or anything like that. But even if he only plays 20 games a season, he's worth having because he's so good we have a much better chance of winning."

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

So effectively his England career is over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Once Spurs find somebody consistent enough to replace him in the starting XI he'll be retired is my best guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

So effectively his England career is over?
    I'd say so.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

well, couldn't really see him being considered for the world cup squad, so yeah, i would say so, he will have to get prosthetic knees once he's finished playing to sort out the pain too i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

So sad. He is one of those players who turns defending into an art....always in the right place at the right time, perfectly times his challenges and he just inspires confidence in everybody around him.

Apparently he's doing a lot of cycling now to keep fit but you have to wonder how long he can keep this up and be competitive at this level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This is why I was so surprised to see if act the muppet after a game on a night out. He knows spurs is his only chance of playing football professional ever again as he will never pass a medical so god only knows what he was thinking going out on the piss and getting into a ruck with a bouncer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Unfortunate so it is, if King didn't have this problem I would place him just behind Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry and Carvalho in the top 5 centre halfs in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

The situation as it is right now is as good as its gonna get for Ledley unfortunately, play just the once a week and manage the injury. I think Spurs have accepted this and are happy to accomadate him because when he plays he is top drawer. It does cause a lot of disruption at CB though, say a first choice pairing of King and Woodgate, with Bassong or Dawson coming in when King can't play which means its difficult to get an understanding between the players, even more so with Woodagte and Dawson injured at the moment meaning Corluka fills in there when King is out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It is such a shame though, he should be our John Terry, captain and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

With his body shape it was almost a given that he would have these troubles,
    big + slender at same time,

lot of pressure on his kness, ankles etc!
    add in the injuries:(

Sad!
    Quality footballer!

Really hope he has enough sense to quit before he does real damage to himself:(
    Smegball wrote: »
    Unfortunate so it is, if King didn't have this problem I would place him just behind Vidic, Ferdinand, Terry and Carvalho in the top 5 centre halfs in the PL.
    NA!
    If it wasnt for the injuries there is no limit to what he could have achived!

*well apart from
    With his body shape it was almost a given that he would have these troubles,
    big + slender at same time,
    :(

Advertisement