Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to set up your own internet connection/ISP?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

well, heres the thing, tried to get onto piratebay today and it came up that it was blocked from eircom. I was very enraged with this as i do not want other people telling me what i cant do on the internet i.e:internet censorship:mad:

But it got me wondering, would it be possible to set up your own internet connection, as in not through any ISP so that, well you could do anything you want on your internet and no monthly cost etc..

Would this be possible now, or in the future??

Rogan

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

roguey wrote: »
    well, heres the thing, tried to get onto piratebay today and it came up that it was blocked from eircom. I was very enraged with this as i do not want other people telling me what i cant do on the internet i.e:internet censorship:mad:

But it got me wondering, would it be possible to set up your own internet connection, as in not through any ISP so that, well you could do anything you want on your internet and no monthly cost etc..

Rogan

Bury some fibre, get some peering and transit agreements, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Spear wrote: »
    Bury some fibre, get some peering and transit agreements, and away you go.

And you'll need a couple of wheelbarrows full of €50 notes too.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Rogan

You're going to need an awful lot of cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Might be cheaper to rent a server and use it for whatever and then ftp down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

The sooner the music and movie labels start charging a euro for a downloaded album instead of 99 cents a song the sooner we can clear up this mess and all start paying for the content. I mean its 5.75 to rent a movie in extravisision so without the bricks and mortar you would imagine they could sell us a movie download for 99 cent. If you want people to change their behaviour you have to provide a viable alternative. Read the comments for more feedback!
    http://torrentfreak.com/eircom-pirate-bay-blockade-takes-effect-090901/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

The whole Eircom thing is a total joke. Put is this way, anyone that uses the Piratebay knows who to get to it if its blocked or at the very least find an alternative.

I think Spotify is going to be the next big thing when it comes to dealing with piracy.
    I've been using it for the last few months and it's very impressive. The guy that started uTorrent is behind it.

No invites sorry :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Please keep the eircom discussion to the correct thread.

If you're loaded, you could set up your own ISP. A leased line might do the trick too, but at 10 grand a month, it's not an option for the home user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Magzr

.....well you could do anything you want on your internet and no monthly cost etc..
    Rogan

I love this. Can you let me know whatever your on, cuse I want some of it as well.

The only thing that we dont have to pay for in this country, or in the world for that matter, is rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Magzr wrote: »
    The only thing that we dont have to pay for in this country, or in the world for that matter, is rain.
    We pay with misery.

Advertisement