Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are they just coincidences?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

For the past 10 years or so I have been dreaming about things that eventually happen. It started with simple little things, such as dreaming about a particular song and then hearing that song the moment I turn on the radio as I get ready for work. Or ill dream about someone I havnt seen in years and the following day ill spot them on the other side of the street or on the same bus as me.

The dreams became a lot more specific in recent years, however. For example, 2 years ago I kept having a recurring dream that a family member had cancer, even the type of cancer they had was evident in my dream. This was over a 6 month period. It became such a regular and worrying dream that I asked the person to please go to the doctor for a check-up. Turns out the person had cancer and didnt know about it - lifesaving surgery and chemo followed, thank God!!! I also dreamt that another family member's cancer had returned (I was on holiday at the time) and when I came home from the holiday, I was told that this same person had bad news and that their cancer had, in fact, returned.

I have dreamt of friends / people close to me losing their jobs / failing exams and then several weeks later, this will happen. These are just some random examples.

Should I start paying more attention to my dreams or should I just ignore them? I dont want to start focusing too much on something that might turn out to have no logical basis whatsoever.

Thanks for reading - any input appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Amy Elliott

I too have experienced precognitive dreams and yes I do find it disturbing sometimes. Aparently this " ability" runs in my family. I however just think that some people are more sensitive than others and have the ability to receive information on a subconcious level much more than others.
    I think that maybe it's a gift especially since you were able to advise that person of an illness that otherwise would have gone undiagnosed and possibly killed them.
    I don't think that you should ever ignore messages or feelings from dreams that you feel are strong. They are there to guide us. There is so much that is not understood about dreams and how the sleeping mind works. I think people tend to trivialise them alot and consider them to be a mish mash of jumbled up thoughts and emotions. To me they always mean something which may or may not be apparent at first.
    If they can be a source of guidance and help then why not use them.
    I don't think that you should completely live your life by them but they can be helpful and In this life we need all the help we can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭NotSoDumbBlonde

Thanks for your reply! You're right - i suppose you should use these dreams as a guide, when appropriate. I would hate to ignore a "message" or something that appeared to be a sign and then for something bad to happen afterwards, something over which I could have had control. There are those dreams though where something amazing happens and you wake up thinking "Is this gonna happen to me?" (such as a new job or a proposal or something....lol) but of course, this is never the case! It seems to be the negative things that happen!

Thanks again! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Blame it on the

keep a dream journal and write in your dreams and what they mean to you. Over time, bit by bit, you will build up an encyclopedia of your own dreams and they're interpretations. Have confidence in your own abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Well ones like cancer returned, jobs lossed, failing the exams, even the song on the radio I would say are coincidences... When someone had cancer you're obviously going to worry it will return, in this day in age lots of people are losing jobs and people can fail exams as you probably knew that they were going to do the exam.
    As for the song, was it a popular song at the time? Is it even possible you dreamed it because it was played on the radio while you were asleep? These coincidences happen, we forget about the things that happen which aren't coincidences (like all the times you didn't hear the song you predicted).

However the one with the cancer is intriguing, though it seems like cancer runs in your family unfortunately, so perhaps you worry about it anyway.

The test would be, if you could document every single dream you have like Blame suggests(as otherwise you just forget about the ones that don't come true) and see what happens...

Advertisement