Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Second home tax payment nears deadline

Options
  • 01-09-2009 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0901/property.html
    Second home tax payment nears deadline
    Tuesday, 1 September 2009 17:49

Owners of rental properties and holiday homes have until the end of the month to pay a new €200 charge to local authorities.

Those who do not comply face a penalty of €20 for every month they fall into arrears.

The charge was announced in the Budget in October of last year.
    Advertisement

The Private Residential Tenancies Board and ESB will also share information with local authorities enabling them to identify homes liable for the tax.

The new tax applies to homes which are not the full-time residence of the owner.

It does not apply to 'granny flats' or mobile homes, however, it does cover rental properties, second homes and holiday homes in the Republic.

No letters will be sent informing owners that they are liable, instead the onus is on the individuals to go to a website www.nppr.ie and pay with a credit or debit card.

Otherwise local authorities will accept completed forms.

The tax has to be paid by the end of September.

There will be a period of one month's grace but a surcharge of €20 a month applies after the end of October.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

its not a lot - but never have I been happier to be poor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its not a lot - but never have I been happier to be poor :)

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you own one property but you're renting one elsewhere do you still pay this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Cathooo wrote: »

I wouldnt think so. Since you dont own the 2 properties, best bet would be to check with the revenue though.

D3PO wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so. Since you dont own the 2 properties, best bet would be to check with the revenue though.

Thanks, I have emailed off to Dublin City Council about it and will look on the revenue website too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It applies to second homes- or any home which is not the fulltime residence of the owner. I've had an unhappy discussion about this with my local revenue office already :(

smccarrick wrote: »
    It applies to second homes- or any home which is not the fulltime residence of the owner. I've had an unhappy discussion about this with my local revenue office already :(

So if you don't live in your owned property you pay it? Booo!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

So if you don't live in your owned property you pay it? Booo!!

If you don't rent it out- I don't see how they'd ever know you weren't occupying it- and the onus is on the individual to 'self disclose'. I paid up- to make sure I was compliant- I'd probably have gotten away without paying, but I'd rather not run the risk of that happening.

Advertisement