Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pompey WTF are they doing

• 01-09-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭

I am at loss here , what the hell are pompey doing, they are selling all their players and look to be setting themselves up for relegation at the end of the season. They sell Kranjcar and Nugent on deadline day , their squad is thread bare. What in gods name is going on, they were meant to be bought , big money coming in , yet this still hasnt happened .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

January.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Trying to get relegated it seems, and they are going about it the right way it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

shockin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

mike65 wrote: »
    January.
    They will be relegated by Janaury by the looks of it. Id love to hear what Fratton Fred has to say on it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I think its very sad whats happening there.

My own club has benefited through the signings of Crouch and Kranjcar but I really feel for the fans. Appaling way to run a club.

They seem intent on self destruction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Jesus Christ lads, get off the European football loving highhorses here, they've clearly mismanaged in the past and can't afford the wagebill that they currently have. Better they ship them out now, and sign in players that they can have longterm, risk going down, with a stronger chance of going up next year, than do a Leeds and be messed up for years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Its a crying shame. But is another example of a takeover gone wrong.

With the exception of David James, and john Utaka, they have lost every single player which they developed to make Portsmouth a team of genuine contenders.

The summer they have lost Johnson, Distin, Campbell, Pamerot, Lauren, Davis, Kracjer,Crouch, and Nugent. And this is extended by the loss of lads like Muntari, Mendes, and Defoe over the past year.

They are going to have to mould a team out of lads like a crocked Finnan, a dangerous Michael Brown, a disinterested Ben Haim, and loan signings like jamie O Hara.

I think this could well be the end of the Pompey Premiership adventure, and as has been mentioned, the cloath will need to be cut accordingly to ensure that a return is possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Het-Field wrote: »
    The summer they have lost Johnson, Distin, Campbell, Pamerot, Lauren, Davis, Kracjer,Crouch, and Nugent. And this is extended by the loss of lads like Muntari, Mendes, and Defoe over the past year.

Don't forget Lass Diarra, quality player, left in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

8-10 wrote: »
    Don't forget Lass Diarra, quality player, left in January.

Quality player. Was Reals best player the last night. When you think about it Harry Redknapp really does have the midas touch in the transfer market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Trying to avoid bankruptcy, it would seem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I'm sure they all wanted to leave. Their squad is hardly thread bare, the chairman or someone from there was on the phone to SSN earlier and said they've a squad of 30-something players.

They've sold a savage amount of players though.

Johnson, Distin, Muntari, Diarra, Kranjcar, Crouch, Defoe. I'm sure I've missed a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

They actually have a decent team and by that I'm talking 15th - 17th placed team. But Paul Hart is not the man to lead them out of the mire. I know you can't exactly blame him for the loss of all those players given the owners aren't fit to run a brothel. He was sacked from his two last jobs - Rushden and Diamonds and Barnsley before somehow getting a job at Portsmouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Surely premier league survival is worth more then 2.5 million

Surely premier league survival is worth more then 2.5 million

Where is this 2.5 million figure coming from? And what happens if they keep some of the players who wouldn't have kicked up a fuss, and got relegated anyway?

Having a stable club in a few years time, is more important than anything else, and thats probably a lesson most PL fans on here will be lucky enough to never have to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Paul Hart was a first class academy director and if he replaced as manager I hope he gets put back in that role.

There has been a serious amount of ****ing around at Pompey and the wage bill was out of control. This was added to by the fact the chairman lost a **** load of money in the property crash and desperately needed to get out, but no one wanted to buy a club who were living beyond their means.

Hopefully with the players we have now, we can survive until January and make some serious investment then.

I know people say Arry is/was a genious in the transfer market, but he paid £6m for Nugent, took on Lauren on massive wages and even signed Djimi Traore FFS (none of whom he was in any great rush to take to spurs)

Our biggest weakness at the moment is up front now but I am a lot less despondent than I was this time last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

2.5 million estimated cost of kranjcar a player who would of really helped at least untill january when they could of strenghtened

2.5 million estimated cost of kranjcar a player who would of really helped at least untill january when they could of strenghtened

No I think he went for 4 million and I'd say his wages between now and January would total about 500,000+. Thats 4.5 million value for a good player, but a player who ultimately isn't good enough to be anywhere near a safe bet to keep them up. Portsmouth finished 7 points above the drop last season, and were losing Johnson, Crouch and Defoe (probably their 3 best players) whether they liked it or not really. So its highly conceivable to think they'd have been in the relegation dogfight, whether they'd have kept the rest or not. So is it really worth risking the longterm future of the club, just to give them a fighting chance of staying up this year? I don't see how, if Hart does a good job this year, they might surprise a few people anyway, and they'll have done it without risking themselves going down the tubes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

They are preparing for a assault on the Championship , doing a good job too.

Niko is a bit of a luxury player to be honest. Belhadj looks a lot more threatening down the left than he ever did.

Distin has been sulking for months and Nugent couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

I'm gutted we lost Crouch and especially Johnson, but we kept hold of James and Kaboul is starting to look solid, so with James, Kaboul, TBH and Diop we have a solid backbone in the side. Richard Hughes adds bite and Kanu and Utaka should support Piquionne so we should be ok for now

Who knows, newcastle were full of big names but went down last year and Hull and Stoke stayed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Nugent is no loss, will be a **** up for Burnley too.

Was always a championship level player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I think alot of people could be surprised by Pompey.Fair enough I dont know enough about a couple of their signings,Yabda from Benfica,Williamson from Watford but the players they have got seem to be the fighting type that can grind out results if they start playing well together.

Belhadj is good down the left and could do better the Pompey imo,Vanden Borre should step up if Finnan doesnt perform,Piquonne looks like he can get a couple of goals and I think Jamie O Hara will be aewsome for them.He's always looked good when getting a chance at Spurs he just needed a chance and here it is for him.Ben Haim should partner Kaboul well and I'll be interested in seeing how KP Boateng and Aruna do for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The last I heard the plan for survival involved selling every player who was earning high wages, Niko being one of them. If Pompey waited until January to sell him they risked him signing a pre-contract for a Bosman move and they miss out on the transfer fee, plus they have to pay his wages for his last year AND there's a chance he won't perform if he's pissed off.

IIRC at one stage Pompey were paying c. 110% of turnover in wages, that is bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Gillington wrote: »
    I think Jamie O Hara will be aewsome for them.

He will do well for them, as will Michael Brown.

The last I heard the plan for survival involved selling every player who was earning high wages, Niko being one of them. If Pompey waited until January to sell him they risked him signing a pre-contract for a Bosman move and they miss out on the transfer fee, plus they have to pay his wages for his last year AND there's a chance he won't perform if he's pissed off.

IIRC at one stage Pompey were paying c. 110% of turnover in wages, that is bankruptcy waiting to happen.

Not only is it bankrupcy waiting to happen, it also means no one in their right mind is going to buy the club.

Wages are now right down to manageable levels and the club has a total of £27m of debt which is minor by premiership standards.

:arry Redknapp will build you a good team, but he's not exactly frugal.

Two weeks ago we were staring administration in the face and a lot of people were asking if winning the FA cup was really worth it. OK this is not going to be an easy season but it looks a lot more promising than it did this time last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

People forget that the quality around the bottom of the Premier League is crap this year and Pompey are very very unlucky to be without a single point at this stage. They've played well

Two weeks ago we were staring administration in the face and a lot of people were asking if winning the FA cup was really worth it. OK this is not going to be an easy season but it looks a lot more promising than it did this time last week.

What I don't understand is where is the money from the new owners? If an offer for James had come in he'd have been off too, so they were willing to allow him and Niko follow Distin out the door, yet are going to spend money in the January window? Does that not seem odd to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

David Nugent is no loss, will be a **** up for Burnley too.

Was always a championship level player.

still amazes me to this day that he's not only played even once for England, but he scored too. be it a farcical tap-in...

What I don't understand is where is the money from the new owners? If an offer for James had come in he'd have been off too, so they were willing to allow him and Niko follow Distin out the door, yet are going to spend money in the January window? Does that not seem odd to you?

The new owner is mega rich but I don't think he has much in the way of cash if you know what I mean. He owns billions of dollars worth of property in dubai, but a 50 storey office block can't turn out in a no 9 shirt!

Tbh, the new fit and proper test now applies to anyone who owns ten per cent of a consortium and I think that scared away a few of his backers, so he had to go it alone and he didn't have the cash available. Who knows, he may be a lear jet owning versace lamborghini driving con man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

James
    Finnan]
    Kaboul
    Ben haim
    Herriderson
    Belhaj
    Diop
    Brown
    Hughes
    Piquonne
    Kanu

To be hones I fear that could prove to be a very makeshift team, which may not properly gel, before its too late. I also fear that it is the most lighweight forward combination i have seen in a premiership team. Th backline actually looks ok, and the midfield could have bite to it. However, I just dont see it being able to pick up too many big results, and I would fear that it will be vunrable on the road.

Correct me if im wrong, but at one stage could Portsmouth have put out a team comprising of

James
    Johnson
    Distin
    Campbell
    Lauren
    Muntari
    Diarra
    Mendes
    Krancjar
    Defoe
    Crouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Het-Field wrote: »
    Correct me if im wrong, but at one stage could Portsmouth have put out a team comprising of

James
    Johnson
    Distin
    Campbell
    Lauren
    Muntari
    Diarra
    Mendes
    Krancjar
    Defoe
    Crouch

:eek:. When you look at it like that......its such a shame. Thats a quality looking team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Kirby wrote: »
    :eek:. When you look at it like that......its such a shame. Thats a quality looking team.

Quality looking team at what should be a small mid 2nd tier club

I like Pompy but they have been living above
    (and thanks to unkle 'Arry's short term high wages for old players set up)
    LIVING beyond their means

BTW Hart is a real football man, brain in his head,
    they are lucky to have him!

Well, I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't shed a tear if they got relegated. Every home game is a nightmare to watch on tv. That moron with the bell. Ninety minutes of constant, "ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling". :mad: How do the people sitting beside that eejit put up with him? Want to create an atmosphere? Learn some team songs and cheer on your team. Leave the bells and horns at home.

Well, I'll be honest and say that I wouldn't shed a tear if they got relegated. Every home game is a nightmare to watch on tv. That moron with the bell. Ninety minutes of constant, "ding-a-ling-a-ling-a-ling". :mad: How do the people sitting beside that eejit put up with him? Want to create an atmosphere? Learn some team songs and cheer on your team. Leave the bells and horns at home.

....coming from the lad who is watching on TV.

Don't pre-judge. I've been to every Ireland home game for the last 12 years. I cheer on my team. And there is nothing better than a good atmosphere. But ringing a bell or blowing one of those chinese plastic horns they have in south africa, is moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Why did they pay three million for Williamson when he isn't going to start:confused: he'll be found terribly when he plays too!

• Advertisement

Don't pre-judge. I've been to every Ireland home game for the last 12 years. I cheer on my team. And there is nothing better than a good atmosphere. But ringing a bell or blowing one of those chinese plastic horns they have in south africa, is moronic.

As opposed to the Irish leprechaun brigade?

Mate, I think you are a bit confused. You are argueing against a point nobody has made. All gimmicks should be left outside. Horns and bells and eejits prancing about dont belong at a football match.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Couldn't agree more, espesially about those bloody horns, christ those bloody horns , I can still hear them from the games in South Africa a few months ago. Hope they are banned for the big tournament but they probably wont be... where is the mute button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think Portsmouth have been decimated by player sales, but at the same time, theres still worse than them in the Premier IMo and they'll survive by default. There at least as good if not better than Wolves, Hull and Burnley and possibly Birmingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If they are re-structuring for long-term, I appluad their efforts. They were overspending on wages and instead of risking long term financial damage, they've taken positive steps towards fixing it.

If by some hope, they manage to stay up this year, it will be masterful chairmanship.
    If they don't, at least they'll go down, and with the parachute payments and no massive wage bills, they are likely to bounce right back up again within 2 years easily. Makes sense to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement