Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty 4 whats the big deal ?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

so i got this game after 2 years of guys saying its the best game on the xbox but i did not like it. it was 35 euros for it played it for 3 days then played online for a bit then sold sold back to gamestop for 30 euros 2 weaks later. to me its no killzone 2 or full of man i liked moterstrom more then this. but come on there is no story in this game just kill next part kill o yes kill look i am dead. to me its a very bad game.

do you like call of duty 4 99 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 99 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Dont knock this game. Its a great game and whoops everything around it. Sure killzone 2 might look good. And the second game coming soon is gonna be just as good. Did you finish the game in single player mode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thegameguy

yes did not like cod on the ds is a bitter game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Not sure how it plays on a console but imo first person shooters esp online play MUCH better on a pc. keyboard and mouse ftw.

Goldeneye and BF2 are the best first person shooters in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

thegameguy wrote: »
    so i got this game after 2 years of guys saying its the best game on the xbox but i did not like it. it was 35 euros for it played it for 3 days then played online for a bit then sold sold back to gamestop for 30 euros 2 weaks later. to me its no killzone 2 or full of man i liked moterstrom more then this. but come on there is no story in this game just kill next part kill o yes kill look i am dead. to me its a very bad game.

93.75% of gamers like this game.

I'm one of those gamers.

For me it's probably one of the best FPS I've ever played (XB360 version)

The look, design, graphics, weapons details, storyline, characters, sound, music are all top-notch. And I've never played online, just the SP.
    but come on there is no story in this game

I don't agree. The story is the cornerstone of this game. It enveloped me, it was visercal and engrossing. It was like a story ripped out of tomorrow's newspapers. Terrorism, nuclear detonations and 'evil'/rogue states are an all too real possibilty of today's world. COD4 captures this brilliantly.

Graphics, sound, picture all back up this.

I just think it's a fantastic game.
    i liked moterstrom more then this

You can't compare these games. Sure with Kill Zone 2 or Halo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

COD4 is not technically brilliant. COD4 isn't the prettiest game in the world, nor is it the best playing game in the world. The story isn't the best either.

But these are all the attributes of of a good action movie, like Die Hard. The actor's a bit ugly and not the most talented. The story's run-of-the-mill and the action is a bit TOO over-done... but that's why it's fuppin awesome.

Sometimes you just have to watch a really awesome action movie that does nothing perfectly but combines enough averageness to create the ultimate action joyride. That's what COD4 does... action. Balls to the wall murdering terrorists... it's great. Online is great fun too but can be ruined by "UBAR SKILLD" players, akin to Counter Strike (imo).

Ignore what you know about Killzone or Halo and just enjoy COD4 for what it is; mindless fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

For me I'm a but tired of the Call of Duty series.

Looking at the series, the core gameplay hasn't evolved from the original Call of Duty.

I loved the original Call of Duty and its expansion United Offensive. There wasn't a story at all but the battles where massive and chaotic and this helped immerse the player in the game. The multi player was so easy to pick and play and was extremely addictive.

COD 2 was good but there was an overwhelming feeling of deja vu. Took no risks and even one or two step backwards (no sprint, no primed grenades, regenerating health) basically a graphics overhaul was all it was.

COD 3 wasn't on PC so I missed it, but heard it was similar to COD2.

COD 4 finally moved the setting forward to the modern age and introduced a decent story and a decent surprise twist midway through it, even though the end was pretty abrupt. The British characters where better developed than any previous characters in the series but the American ones where rather bland. But the core game play both single player and multiplayer remained identical. Multiplayer wise it did introduce unlocks and perks plus some auto kill abilities as awards for streaks, but otherwise it was the same multiplayer game. Single player wise yes its just as chaotic as the other games where but after four games you can that is just a smoke screen for the shortcomings of the game. You can see the poor A.I (both friendly and enemy), the endless respawning enemies, there is very little in way of tactics just advance, kill, advance kill, very little in terms of open world where the player has to choose flanks to attack or bypass etc everything just funneled into pre-scripted sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Play it on PC, FPS is for PC :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Drop the "P.C. is the best" crap, it's been done hundreds of times. I started as a P.C. gamer but prefer playing games like this on a 360 now. There's no problems playing it on a 360 or a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

The poll has spoken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

to me its no killzone 2 or full of man

... maybe the sequel will better cater to your needs. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tee hee hee, "full of man".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

If the
    Sniping
    mission or the
    AC-130
    didnt get ya excitied in your in the wrong genre of gaming never mind game

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Azza wrote: »
    Single player wise yes its just as chaotic as the other games where but after four games you can that is just a smoke screen for the shortcomings of the game. You can see the poor A.I (both friendly and enemy), the endless respawning enemies, there is very little in way of tactics just advance, kill, advance kill, very little in terms of open world where the player has to choose flanks to attack or bypass etc everything just funneled into pre-scripted sequences.

Yeah I feel exactly the same about these games. Play it on the hardest and second hardest difficulties and you see just how poor a lot of the game play mechanics actually are.

Multiplayer on the other hand is excellent, really really like it and will buy the new game for it if I get off my arse and get broadband in the new house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

As an immersive game CoD4 was buuuuurilliant and everything came together nicely. It's not entirely perfect and the respawning enemies are a bit of a ****. It was anoying to have a constant never ending stream of baddies till you pass over some invisible line. They could have done much better in tht respect.

For me one of the crucial aspects of an FPS is the weapons need to feel right and so so many games fall down on this aspect. CoD4 just makes me wanna go postal they all feel so nice and meaty.

So crap review made short for the experience and the sound whacked up CoD4 is frenetically awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

wtf... KZ2 doesn't even come close to being as good as CoD4 :confused:

Graphically, yeah, it's better, but then it's a newer game. Plus some of the levels (the last assault in particular) felt like a direct CoD clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

93.75% of gamers like this game.

I'm one of those gamers.

For me it's probably one of the best FPS I've ever played (XB360 version)

The look, design, graphics, weapons details, storyline, characters, sound, music are all top-notch. And I've never played online, just the SP.

I don't agree. The story is the cornerstone of this game. It enveloped me, it was visercal and engrossing. It was like a story ripped out of tomorrow's newspapers. Terrorism, nuclear detonations and 'evil'/rogue states are an all too real possibilty of today's world. COD4 captures this brilliantly.

Graphics, sound, picture all back up this.

I just think it's a fantastic game.

You can't compare these games. Sure with Kill Zone 2 or Halo.

Jesus you must not have played alot of FPS'es so lol.gif

Cod 4 is a solid fps, but **** me, its linear as hell, has ZERO enemy AI aside from the 'THROW SOME ****ING GRENADES' programming. Its scripted to buggery, no chance of any exploration aside from finding the occasional bit of intel in a hidden room somewhere, its cheap as hell and relies on respawning enemies to give any kind of challenge.
    Its a decent game, its single player is a good 7/10, impressive setpieces and thats about it. Its multiplayer is ****e run n gun no skill unbalanced mess of a game. Anyone vaguely versed in PC fps'es has played multiplayer games about a million times better than this even back as far as 2004. (BFV, BF2, CS:S etc) hat.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

0ubliette wrote: »
    Jesus you must not have played alot of FPS'es so lol.gif

No, I have. COD4 is my favourite. Simple as.
    For me it's probably one of the best FPS I've ever played

Thats for ME, it doesn't matter how many FPS games I've played, this is my favourite.
    any kind of challenge.

Go complete it on Vet and you'll see a challenge.
    Its multiplayer is ****e run n gun no skill unbalanced mess of a game. Anyone vaguely versed in PC fps'es has played multiplayer games about a million times better than this even back as far as 2004. (BFV, BF2, CS:S etc) hat.gif

To sum up that paragraph, I don't care about half the stuff there.

I don't have, never have and never will have a gaming PC/online. So BFV, BF2, CS:S mean tap to me.

And I never talked about multiplayer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

Does not compute

The game is one of the greatest ever. The CoD franchise was growing steadily in numbers then this came out. BOOM. It sold 10 Million in it's first 9 months. And it sold more copies in less than 2 months, than any other game did in all of 2007.

Plus the story isn't too bad. Granted, it's very short, but it has a decent storyline. And the Online is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

While the story in CoD4 wasnt that original its presentation was fantastic in that it really felt like playing a summer box office action movie. Hell even the training mission was action all the way :D

I also find the notion of anyone who would rather play a FPS with a joypad over a mouse and keyboard to cleary have mental issues :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Really great single player game, play it on hard and restart when your shot and it becomes a proper game. The whole hide and reheal **** is the gayest thing ever. Sadly i blame retareded console gamers for that little feature.

MP is retarded, small maps with the option of an airstrike :( i like my run shoot kill die respawn games as much as anyone but COD 4 Mp is aimed at the retarded, no skill involved in playing that game online.

Great game overall imo mainly for the SP. Really enjoyed playing that, gave away my PC copy after about 50 hours online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Its a well pace action game, that uses action and inaction to its best affect. I played it on easy, as I was not interested in a challenge, but a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

best game ever , till the new one comes out that is

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

single player is really good, multiplayer is god awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mad Leprechaun

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Really great single player game, play it on hard and restart when your shot and it becomes a proper game. The whole hide and reheal **** is the gayest thing ever. Sadly i blame retareded console gamers for that little feature.

MP is retarded, small maps with the option of an airstrike :( i like my run shoot kill die respawn games as much as anyone but COD 4 Mp is aimed at the retarded, no skill involved in playing that game online.

Great game overall imo mainly for the SP. Really enjoyed playing that, gave away my PC copy after about 50 hours online.

Dunno how you could say it takes no skill to play cod4.IMO it is one of the most difficult online games to play online. There is some guys and girls out there that are freaks at that game. They destroy the majority of people in the game. I hated starting off playing online as I hate getting killed but it's something I and most people get used to for a while as these people have better guns and are just better cause thet played it long and got better.

You can't pick this game up,go straight to MP and expect to woop everybody you meet as there is going to be a guy on prestige 10 or something.

Great MP like the usual cod2.Didn't like cod 3 or cod world at war cause they are made by different companies.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    The whole hide and reheal **** is the gayest thing ever. Sadly i blame retareded console gamers for that little feature.

Even tho it was first seen in COD2, at time of release an exclusively PC game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Even tho it was first seen in COD2, at time of release an exclusively PC game?

Regenerating health didn't come out first with CoD2. I'm pretty sure Halo was at the forefront of that back on the original Xbox, although I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dunno how you could say it takes no skill to play cod4.IMO it is one of the most difficult online games to play online. There is some guys and girls out there that are freaks at that game. They destroy the majority of people in the game. I hated starting off playing online as I hate getting killed but it's something I and most people get used to for a while as these people have better guns and are just better cause thet played it long and got better.

You can't pick this game up,go straight to MP and expect to woop everybody you meet as there is going to be a guy on prestige 10 or something.

Great MP like the usual cod2.Didn't like cod 3 or cod world at war cause they are made by different companies.

I kinda agree with dreamers75 post as the airstrikes ruin the MP imho and alot of the so called uber players just camp certain spots all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Anyone vaguely versed in PC fps'es has played multiplayer games about a million times better than this even back as far as 2004. (BFV, BF2, CS:S etc) hat.gif

I played BF2 quite a bit, I found this site through BF2. Remember playing a boards league of it. Was on Zillah's team, the guy was a machine.

Cant say it is that much better than CoD4 though. It was and is better don't get me wrong but CoD4 is not a bad multiplayer game, far from it. It is a great multi player game.

Personally think anyone saying CoD4 had bad multi player has a screw loose.

Regenerating health didn't come out first with CoD2. I'm pretty sure Halo was at the forefront of that back on the original Xbox, although I could be wrong.

Halo used health kits, it just had a shield that regenerates after taking damage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Halo used health kits, it just had a shield that regenerates after taking damage

I know that but the principle is the same. You had a regenerating shield that went down the more damage you took, with it recharging when you took cover.

Advertisement