Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i buy saltpetre??

Options
  • 01-09-2009 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello people,

Does anybody know where i can buy this saltpetre or Potassium Nitrate. I have looked around the shops but I'm unable to find it. Any Help would be great?

P.S. its not for making smoke grenades( saw that in some other websites) :p

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There's a previous thread here about it that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Google sausage making on google uk. Therer are a number of hobby type butchers suppliers that supply salt petre in small ammounts or as part of mixes and the shipping isn't too bad. I've used one of them in the past myself but alas i can't remember which one. Forget about trying to get it in Ireland; still issues attached with terrorism associated with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I was looking for it earlier this year, got on to someone in the Dept of Ag, Apparently it's banned here, cos it's a potential carcinogen and a mix of sodium nitrate and nitrite apparently does the job as well.
    I got about 100g of a curing salt mix from some people in England, this was about 4% nitrate/nitrite mix and the rest was salt. I think.
    Havn't used it yet, just finished the last of my last bit of bacon so i'll be using it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭customPC

Yeah i wasnt sure whether it was definitely banned or what. Thanks for the replies people:-)

Advertisement