Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aeronautical Engineering - Tell me bout it!!

Options
  • 01-09-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi I'm doin my lc nxt year 2010 and i was wondering what the aero engie course is really like!?
    - How many hours a week?
    - What are you taught? Is some stuff related to design because that would be an area I would like to work in.
    - Is the infamous engineering maths difficult. I'm aiming for a b2 in lc.
    - Have you plenty of time for clubs & socs in the evenings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Hey im in second year mechanical eng, but 80- 90% of our modules are the same as aeronautical.

Class hours are between 24-28 hours a week

Theres some design modules but theyre more engineering design rather than product design and are as such focused on operation and safety etc rather than aesthetics

Modules in the course mainly involve mathematics, understanding how mechanisms behave (statics dynamics mechanics) , basic chemistry , some hands on engineering (machining etc), drawing and reading engineerng diagrams , understanding materials the properties and limitations. Generally if you google the module title ( listed on the
    M&AE department website it will give you an idea of whats involved)

I can only really speak of First Year engineering maths but if you get a B2 in the leaving you shouldnt have much trouble handling it with a bit of work.

Regarding the evenings theres *always time for things you want to do, but seriously if you make sure you do work there will be plenty of free time. Just remember if your doing engineering there will be late nights and early mornings, you wont be having one of those 8-10 hour timetables that some courses are known of .Its all worth it though

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kopykat

i am also a 2nd year mech eng student,just wondering do i know you toushea? anyway,you hav a common first year with aeronautical, mechanical, biomedical and mannufacturing engineering and then as far as i know you only hav one module different from all the above that were mentioned per semester.the hours are pretty long in comparison to other courses but i wouldnt let that scare ya and if you do get a b in higher level maths you should be very capable of the maths module but it doesnt come on it's own,you will still have to put in a bit of effort with regards,i strongly recommed going to the tutorials that the maths learner centre provide for the course because without them i would have found the exams allot harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

Please delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bigrob

alright thanks for your help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

Im first year CAE student same as mech eng and am wondering if there is practical work ie metalshop maching involved in first year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Yeah theres a small enough project in the 2nd semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Just graduated from Mech Eng this year but I can tell you alot about Aero. You wouldnt get into anything really specific about aeronautical until second semester of 3rd Year. The preceeding couple of years are grounding and getting to understand advanced engineering maths, thermodynamics etc. Then you do stuff on aircraft structures, maintaineance, areodynamics, engines, flight controls, stability and at the end of fourth finishes off with the building of a scale working model airplane from scratch which is tested. Nearly every single subject will include some form of maths

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

almostover wrote: »
    Im first year CAE student same as mech eng and am wondering if there is practical work ie metalshop maching involved in first year
    hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Yeah theres a small enough project in the 2nd semester.

Yeah its very very small. Just basic drilling, milling and turning with very close supervision. All M&AE Dept. courses are academic and not practical based courses. That will probably be the only time you will ever be in a workshop.

Advertisement