Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF4 players that use the 360 controller?

Options
  • 01-09-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭

Got back into Street fighter lately. I use the normal 360 controller and find it impossible to pull off moves with the charge sort of characters. Like it would be a 1 in 5 chance id pull of Guiles special and when online you dont get that chance.

So just wondering to the better SF4 players do any of you use the normal controller and are pretty decent at charge characters or cancelling into other moves?

Before any asks ive no notion of forking out money for a controller especially for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Are you using the d-pad or analog stick? I think the analog is a lot better for charge characters especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Although i don't play charges i do play pad. and i have to agree with dreddy too, i play with the analog it feels firm & solid, you've surely heard people in the past say omfg i hate the 360 d-pad and lol @ them & say ok whatever nut it does happen honestly even to the best of us :P Best bet just stick to pulling the moves off in training with analog.... or main sagat lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Migrating from fifa, eh joe? :p

Don't use the 360 dpad. its awful. The 360 stick is good to use tho and with practice you will be flying mate. If you like playing dpad style, like I do, get a Saturn Pad or a Madcatz Fightpad. Both very good pads.

You can get a fighting stick for decent money nowadays, and most people prefer sticks. We have regular casual meetups every weekend At XGC in town. You should come along Joe. They have fifa too, so we can play a few games :D

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

I use the pad myself. Looking into a madcatz fightpad though, as they look pretty nice. =]
    I generally use the analog though, SF4 doesnt require as much precision as SSF2HDTR so, your not really loosing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

As much as I detest the 360 pad, at least the analog is USEABLE for SFIV.

Now, how it will fare with the crazy inputs of Tekken 6... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Kirby wrote: »
    Migrating from fifa, eh joe? :p

Don't use the 360 dpad. its awful. The 360 stick is good to use tho and with practice you will be flying mate. If you like playing dpad style, like I do, get a Saturn Pad or a Madcatz Fightpad. Both very good pads.

You can get a fighting stick for decent money nowadays, and most people prefer sticks. We have regular casual meetups every weekend At XGC in town. You should come along Joe. They have fifa too, so we can play a few games :D

Haha yep I need something to occupy me while ye lot finish yere games!

I use the 360 stick but I find dashing with it doesnt come out half the time. Another thing is when I attempt ultras sometimes they either just come out as one quater circle or the zig zag motion(hadouken).

I was playing it again last night and its just driving me insane. Moves not coming out and when I want to do an ultra or a zig zag only a quater circle comes out or as if im just pressing down and he does a crouched kick.

I used to only use sagat and was decent enough with him but I cant link moves at all. Dont you have to cancel by focus and then dash and then do another input after that?

Anyways been trying abel the last while aswell. Playing one fella he was akuma and he killed me. In the next match he picked abel and perfected me!

It doesnt feel like im ****e at it more that the moves just wont come out half the time. Will i improve with time or using the 360 controller will it always be like this? ie a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Personally I used the 360 pad from when HDRemix was released and it took me agggggeeeessss to get used to it. By the time SF4 came out I was fine. I use an arcade stick now but I'd say I'm only marginally better with the stick than the pad (I'm still improving though).

If you're really against using a stick I'd say stick with the pad and you'll probably get more accurate over time. But if you even consider getting a stick in the future just get it now and be done with it, no point in training on a controller you're not going to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I used to think playing on a pad was fine until I got used to stick.
    Ive been forced to play on pad for the last week cos my stick is out of action. Its terrible and its driving me demented. I dont think the pads will survive until my stick is back. Ive been giving them severe abuse, I had to open one up yesterday to fix it after a fit of rage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Exhibitionist

I used a standard 360 pad for my first month of play, then noticed that I was wearing down the 4-point tread on the left analog stick. Also, I got annoyed that I didn't have easy access to all available actions in the game - I had to forgo medium punch and kick in order to have triple punch and kick. SF4 was designed for a joystick with 6 buttons, none of which were meant to be pressed with your thumbs.

In the end I bought a Mad Catz SF4 Tournament Edition stick (for 195 Euro; got it in Singapore). It's made from the same components as the arcade machine and can really take a beating. I highly recommend it, especially for charge-type characters like Guile and Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

i much prefer playing on stick but i still roll on fools with pad at almost the same level, you get used ta playing sf o pad i done it for 17 years before i played on stick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

I play on pad, main Akuma, I can play stick too.. But I cant pull of proper FADC'S and my medium kicks always somehow link to a SRK... lol

Gimme a pad and im sorted ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

joe123 wrote: »
    Got back into Street fighter lately. I use the normal 360 controller and find it impossible to pull off moves with the charge sort of characters. Like it would be a 1 in 5 chance id pull of Guiles special and when online you dont get that chance.

So just wondering to the better SF4 players do any of you use the normal controller and are pretty decent at charge characters or cancelling into other moves?

Before any asks ive no notion of forking out money for a controller especially for it.

I have the TE stick but the Analog stick on the xbox pad is very good for charge characters.

BTW, Guiles super/ultra can be performed by charging DB for 2 seconds followed by a roll from DB to DF, then immediately roll from DF to UB and K/KKK.

About a million times easier.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have the TE stick but the Analog stick on the xbox pad is very good for charge characters.

BTW, Guiles super/ultra can be performed by charging DB for 2 seconds followed by a roll from DB to DF, then immediately roll from DF to UB and K/KKK.

About a million times easier.

Cheers will give that a try. Doesnt sound at all like the way its meant to be done though! Isnt it meant to finish at up forward?

The inputs for SF4 allow for some crazy execution of certain moves. For example I have seen people do a shoryuken with P followed by Forward and then Down! You can also do the Shoryuken by double tapping DF and then punch.

Try the Guile Ultra and let me know how you get on!

You can also do the Shoryuken by double tapping DF and then punch.

As far as I know this one turned out to be untrue (though it's quite difficult to even do df, n, df without hitting anything else). The easiest shortcut for a DP in SF4 is df, d, df.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    As far as I know this one turned out to be untrue

Yeah it's not DF, DF, P... it's DF, DF, DF, P. But like you said DF, D, DF is a lot easier, especially on a square gate stick. It also makes it very easy to buffer the srk motion without it being visible at all. Buffering df, df, df is very noticable.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    As far as I know this one turned out to be untrue (though it's quite difficult to even do df, n, df without hitting anything else). The easiest shortcut for a DP in SF4 is df, d, df.

hmmmm.... I use df, df, p quite often!

Well you're very likely hitting another notion accidentally in the meantime causing the DP to come out. The exact motion df df p does not work to my knowledge.

The inputs for SF4 allow for some crazy execution of certain moves. For example I have seen people do a shoryuken with P followed by Forward and then Down! You can also do the Shoryuken by double tapping DF and then punch.

Try the Guile Ultra and let me know how you get on!

Yep it is alot easier! Still struggle to pull it off but instead of 1 out of 5 im hitting it about 3 times out of 5 now. Its strange it doesnt seem like its that motion at all in the command list.

Are there any other moves like that which are easier to pull off? For the shoryuken i usually just do two quick nudges down forward and it works, same with sagats tiger knee.

Last night was giving balrog a go and realised if I just listen to the taps the 360 stick makes as you hit each side doing his ultra they are much easier pull off.

like for example you hold back then tap right tap back and tap forward then the punch. I still got completley killed though online. Im trying to not use Ken/Ryu/Sagat. I really like Abel but I get hammered the whole time.

Still feel like im fighting a loosing battle with the game! And I refuse to get an arcade stick! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

If you want to just play Sf for fun, mainly with your mates and the 360 pad is ruining it: get the madcats pad.

If you are a bit more serious about and want to really level up:it bite the bullet it and get a stick. Hori ex 2 or one of the other cheaper ones.
    ( not sure on current prices)

• Advertisement

off-topic: I ****ing hate the phrase "level up" with regard to fighting games. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

You'd better stay out of championship mode so.

Doesn't that say rank up or something?

Advertisement