Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best 11 outside top 4 and man city

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

maybe not, but you get my point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Friedal

Young----Woodgate--Jaglieka
    Baines

Lennon---Modric
    Palacios----Young

Yakubu
    Defoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Schwarzer

P. Neville
    King
    Jagielka
    Baines

Lennon
    Palacios----Cahill
    Young

Modric

Saha

The lack of Tim Cahill in people's teams disappoints me, such a consistent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

mormank wrote: »
    anyone who thinks taht a best of the rest team would not seriously challenge for a top four spot is crazy TBH!! Villa seriously challenged for a top four spot last year and in theory they would be allowed draft in ANY player from any of fourteen other teams....of course they would challenge for and probably finish up on the top four at least...think about it...

villa amassed their highest points total last year in 13 years and still finished 10 points behind 4th placed arsenal (having a poor season by their standards), sure 62 or 63 points would have got you fourth or maybe even third in 1996 or 1997 but man utd and chelsea have raised the bar in the last 5 years, liverpool would have won the league on numerous occasions in the 1990s with 86 points from 38 matches, man utd won the league in 1997 (i think) with 75 points, that points tally means they would have barely finished ahead of arsenal last year in 3rd place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

flahavaj wrote: »

Schwarzer

P. Neville
    King
    Jagielka
    Baines

Lennon
    Palacios----Cahill
    Young

Modric

Saha

The lack of Tim Cahill in people's teams disappoints me, such a consistent player.

He's a difficult one to place in a team.
    In your team for example he would never work in central midfield.

JPA wrote: »
    He's a difficult one to place in a team.
    In your team for example he would never work in central midfield.

Its true to be fair. I'd see him, Palacios and Modric as a nice threesome though, Wilson providing the bite, Modric the playmaker and Cahill the box to box goalscoring midfielder. With Lennon and Yound the speedmerchants on the wings, I think you have a little bit of everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

flahavaj wrote: »
    I'd see him, Palacios and Modric as a nice threesome though
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i dont think so

still no striker as good as Torres,Drogba,AM as good as lampard/gerrard, midfielders as good as essien/fabregas, defenders as good as Vidic/Carvalho, or goalies as good as cech or reina

i dont think that matters tbh

chelsea are the only team to have all of that, but they still havent wont the league in how many years?

the xi i posted would win the league comfortably imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Helix wrote: »
    i dont think that matters tbh

chelsea are the only team to have all of that, but they still havent wont the league in how many years?

the xi i posted would win the league comfortably imo

That side wouldn't win the league, let alone win it comfortably.

Man for man Chelsea are stronger in every position (maybe not on the wings), United, Liverpool and Arsenal would be stronger in most positions too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

i still think that these teams are missing those really top quality players that the top 4 all have a couple of.

Yep agree...the Gerrard or Fabregas player, thats whats missing (As a Spurs fan I feel our team is there or there abouts with any of these teams but we lack those one or two truly world class players so will always find it hard to compete.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Arsenal:Fabregas
    Liverpool:Torres,Gerrard
    United:Vidic,Ferdinand,Rooney(just to keep people happy!)
    Chelsea: Drogba,Lampard,Essien

no matter wat team you come up with from outside the top 4, it won't have players as good as those, which is why the top is so strong, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Jaaskelainen

L.Young --- Davies --- Jaglieka ---- Bouma

Reo-Coker

Lennon
    Arteta
    Young

Defoe
    Carew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this team would qualify for the top four easily enough i reckon.

the main point here being that to get into the top four this team would not have to play chelsea or Utd week in week out and i reckon this team would accumulate enough points over the course of a season to reach a top four spot...

now having said that teams dont play on paper as we all know so this team may not make the top four, however it is more than capable of doing it. i really dont think that fact can be argued....but carry on anyway!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Schwarzer
    Corluka----Jagielka----King
    Baines
    Palacios
    Arteta
    Modric
    Young
    Defoe
    Cole

mormank wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this team would qualify for the top four easily enough i reckon.

the main point here being that to get into the top four this team would not have to play chelsea or Utd week in week out and i reckon this team would accumulate enough points over the course of a season to reach a top four spot...

now having said that teams dont play on paper as we all know so this team may not make the top four, however it is more than capable of doing it. i really dont think that fact can be argued....but carry on anyway!!!!!
    I really don't agree, I think the Big Four all have better teams even on paper, not to mention the psychological edge they have of being already established as top 4 teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

well ok but in an effort to not end up going round in circles can we agree at least that this team would mount a SERIOUS challenge for a top four spot??? cos really this is all i have the issue with, everton made the top four a few years back and villa challenged last year so it only makes sense that a team of villa ability with some healthy additions from other clubs outside the new perceived top 5....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Tim Howard

Pantsil Hangeland King Figueroa

Palacios Danny Murphy

Milner Modric Ash Young

Kenwyne Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

edit never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

still no striker as good as Torres,Drogba,AM as good as lampard/gerrard, midfielders as good as essien/fabregas, defenders as good as Vidic/Carvalho, or goalies as good as cech or reina

I think the likes of Schwarzer, Freidal, Jagielka, Hangaland, King and Woodgate, would be close to the quality of the corresponding players you mentioned. And when you look at the depth of quality the rest of the league holds up well in defence imo.

But i agree with you about the attacking players. The rest of the league just doesn't have that quality of match winner.

I don't think any team has won the PL without at least one world class attacking player.

But those players are needed to win the league not to get into the top four. I would say the best of the rest team has a great chance of finishing 3rd/4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

2 or 3 people have Kranjcar over Modric. They're on completely different levels imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I think most of these teams would beat Liverpool.

Advertisement