Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in the Devil?

• 01-09-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

After watching the news and seeing the peice about the young girl who was strangled by her step dad, I wondered if the Devil was as much around as God.

Do you believe the devil is around?

Do you believe the devil is about? 203 votes

Yes I do.
    0% 0 votes
    No I do not.
    16% 33 votes
    I agree with "REFORM"
    83% 170 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

No.

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

<Keyser Söze reference>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

I've always sided with the faction which uphold the belief that he is buried in Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

What d'you mean by the devil?
    The man with horns and a pitchfork or just an embodiment of evil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I find when talking to Christians that even people that really believe in god don't really believe in the devil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Yes

Red Devils

*starts chant*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mr. Razzcocks

devil lived :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

No, but maybe I should start. I'd love to blame all the bad things I do on someone else. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Didn't you get the memo? The Vatican got rid of him, bad for business or somesuch, right after limbo and going to hell for touching yourself, oh and hell, yeah thats gone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

Photi wrote: »
    I've always sided with the faction which uphold the belief that he is buried in Killarney.

Whether or not he in fact rose again, rose again, and became Mary Harney is still much debated however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

Oh god.................er....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

I find the concept of a devil baffling.
    Does the devil subscribe to his own beliefs, or does he just believe the exact opposite of god?
    I mean, he's not an idiot, so he'd hardly believe the exact opposite of what god believes on absolutely everything.Surely there's some overlap. So if i dissagree on some issue with both god and the devil where does that leave me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes, i've met her, she used to be married to my mate.

Seriously, if the devil's fate has been sealed from the start, why does he bother? it's like the theory of predestination being doomed from the start.:rolleyes:

He doesnt subscribe to, or believe in anything because hes a mythical character that ancient humans invented to personify evil.

Paddo81 wrote: »
    He doesnt subscribe to, or believe in anything because hes a mythical character that ancient humans invented to personify evil.

Sorry, but that answer is way too sensible for the early part of this thread.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hail Satan!

Blood Orgy!!!!

Feckin woodland critters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Are we talking about the Devil or Super Devil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There's as much chance of there being a hell as there is of being a heaven. That is no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Mr.Obvious wrote: »
    Does the devil subscribe to his own beliefs, or does he just believe the exact opposite of god?
    I mean, he's not an idiot, so he'd hardly believe the exact opposite of what god believes on absolutely everything.Surely there's some overlap. So if i dissagree on some issue with both god and the devil where does that leave me?

a fence sitting centrist , most likely a fianna failer and a fan of bertie ahern , good ol bertie one imagines could have gotten on well with both god and beelsebub

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I have no sympathy for him, regardless of his so-called wealth and taste.

He's got the best music though.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Mr.Obvious wrote: »

What I've never understood about the devil, even when I was an adowwable widdle boy, is why he's given exactly what he would like (dominion over hell) by god for being a bastard.

"Lucifer, for defying My will, you shall be cast downwards to rule over hell ever more!"

"Oh n-Wait, what?"

"You are to rule hell as your own personal dungeon for standing against Me."

"Wow, really? That doesn't sound so bad."

"What?"

"Uhhh...nothing...Oh rats, an eternity of doing whatever I like in my own fiery kingdom. What a drag. :D"

Sorry for turning this post into a shitty stand-up routine, it's just that I've never understood that whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The British army convinced me that he does indeed exist.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Sorry, but that answer is way too sensible for the early part of this thread.;)

Busted! Just thought I'd try nip this in the bud!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You have to be christain to believe in the devil. As for the nuts who say that "something like the devil" was found in X book, well, Allah means god, and god is in the bible, so is Allah in the bible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

He better exist, I sold my soul to him years ago and the check bounced, damn evil bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭The End Of Days

It exists. How else could you explin wrongs over rights or Obese people.

/thread

/In Head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

There's as much chance of there being a hell as there is of being a heaven. That is no chance.

hmmm i disagree.

Can you believe in one without beliveing in the other to those who do believe. Maybe not a dude who sticks pokers up your arse for eternity but ya a hell. Must be ruled by something then to ensure you dont get out of it. Guess that guy must be the devil. Once again thats provide you believe in that.

/logs off computer, grabs keys, drives fast, here come the atheists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

all that god and devil stuff was made up to convice people that they have to behave the whole time...

i.e.
    you can't kill your neighbour and move your fence into his lawn because you will burn in hell for eternity

but now we have the guards for that....

i.e.
    you can't kill your neighbour and move your fence into his lawn because
    1) forensics will find your DNA at the scene,
    2) land registry have maps of his lawn,
    3) and he might have a shotgun

so all the mumbo jumbo can be dropped now

Advertisement