Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you believe in the Devil?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

mukki wrote: »
    all that god and devil stuff was made up to convice people that they have to behave the whole time...

i.e.
    you can't kill your neighbour and move your fence into his lawn because you will burn in hell for eternity

but now we have the guards for that....

i.e.
    you can't kill your neighbour and move your fence into his lawn because
    1) forensics will find your DNA at the scene,
    2) land registry have maps of his lawn,
    3) and he might have a shotgun

so all the mumbo jumbo can be dropped now

Hoo rah! The most sensible thing Ive heard today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

yep definitely without doubt the first time i've ever seen mumbo jumbo written

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Paddo81

You were supposed to be gone by now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kered75

If you read the Lisbon Treaty backwards you summon up the devil.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Do you believe the devil is around?
    Yes. Despite the fact that I used to consider myself as an atheist up until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭One_Armed_Dwarf

As the great Tom Waits said

"don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes, I believe in Satan's existence. The father of all lies, deception, temptation and hatred in this world.

I understand that people will no doubt disagree with me on this one as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Kered75 wrote: »
    If you read the Lisbon Treaty backwards you summon up the devil.:eek:

It doesn't work since they amended it, now you have to read parts of 20 other treaties to get the same effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I don't believe in God but I believe in the Devil

Pic attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

It's divils I'm scared of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Banter Joe

I don't believe in God but I believe in the Devil

Pic attached

So that explains why the 'S' in HSE looks like a snake and the 'E' is made out of flames!

And H is....for Harney :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

There is a devil though, for real. What Carl Jung called "the evil principle prevailing in this world". It's real, a real entity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

There is no such thing as the devil.

"put it on the list dougal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jakkass wrote: »
    Yes, I believe in Satan's existence. The father of all lies, deception, temptation and hatred in this world.

I understand that people will no doubt disagree with me on this one as per usual.

I wholeheartedly agree. You've converted me. Where are the hot nuns at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

"This poll will close on 10-12-2009 at 19.39"

Does the specific nature of that poll close worry anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Ditto to Jackass's post. Satan will do his utmost to turn us away from God and sadly, he's doing a great job of it. Not forever though I might add...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yes, his name is Declan Moffat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hell is a guilty conscience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Splendour wrote: »
    Ditto to Jackass's post. Satan will do his utmost to turn us away from God and sadly, he's doing a great job of it. Not forever though I might add...

I find it remarkable that anybody could believe in such a thing that has such an obvious past. You might as well believe in the Loch Ness monster. The biblical account of a devil is quite different from that of popular culture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I believe in free will. For sh|t & giggles, I have done works of good.

Religion has caused most of the hatred in the world today. This "devil" you speak of must be in control of them, for they have brought death and misery via their Crusades, Jihad, and other bullsh|t wars.

the_syco wrote: »
    I believe in free will. For sh|t & giggles, I have done works of good.

Religion has caused most of the hatred in the world today. This "devil" you speak of must be in control of them, for they have brought death and misery via their Crusades, Jihad, and other bullsh|t wars.

I agree with you with the exception of "most of the hatred". I have yet to see anything beat the 100,000,000 deaths under state atheist regimes in the 20th century. All of which I believe are dark, and are motivated by Satan.

Personally having read up about the first Crusade, I can't see anything Christian about it.

It was certainly more about evil desires than anything else.

I agree with you with the exception of "most of the hatred". I have yet to see anything beat the 100,000,000 deaths under state atheist communist/fascist, totalitarian dictatorship regimes in the 20th century. All of which I believe are dark, and are motivated by Satan.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I believe only in Stain Devils.

These little marvels remove spot stains with OR without washing!

Stain Devils have a unique, powerful fomula that can be used as a spot remover or a pre-wash to remove...
    • BabyFood • Chocolate • Fruit• Grease • Ketchup • Make-up • Oil • Vegetable Stains
    ...and many other everyday stains from washable, colourfast fabrics.

BELIEVE IN THE DEVIL.... THE STAIN DEVILS!!!!

Isn't this the selling out thread?

Sam Vimes: Right, so I guess, I can define the Crusades as being powerhungry, sinister, and motivated by greed on the same note?

The fact is it was the abuse of religion that caused the Crusades, and the abuse of atheism that caused the state atheist regimes to cause so much persecution against believers.

Sam Vimes: Right, so I guess, I can define the Crusades as being powerhungry, sinister, and motivated by greed on the same note?

The fact is it was the abuse of religion that caused the Crusades, and the abuse of atheism that caused the state atheist regimes to cause so much persecution against believers.

No, it was the abuse of religion that caused the crusades whereas murderous dictators are batsh!t crazy people who just happen to also (claim to) be atheists. You might as well blame moustaches because both Hitler and Stalin had one. In those countries love of God, the irrational attachment to an intangible being, is replaced with love of state, the irrational attachment to your country or more specifically the current leader of your country, and people can be goaded into doing things against their better judgement by appealing to this irrational attachment. It changes from "Do this because God wants you to" to "Do this because the Furher/Dear leader wants you to". The only way you can appeal to atheism is to say "Do this because nothing/no one wants you to" which isn't all that motivating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

God and the devil are about as real as santa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

No, I don't.
    I think The Devil is just a fictional thing, made up to provoke fear in people.
    I don't believe in Hell either.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    No, it was the abuse of religion that caused the crusades whereas murderous dictators are batsh!t crazy people who just happen to also (claim to) be atheists. You might as well blame moustaches because both Hitler and Stalin had one. In those countries love of God, the irrational attachment to an intangible being, is replaced with love of state, the irrational attachment to your country or more specifically the current leader of your country, and people can be goaded into doing things against their better judgement by appealing to this irrational attachment. It changes from "Do this because God wants you to" to "Do this because the Furher/Dear leader wants you to". The only way you can appeal to atheism is to say "Do this because nothing/no one wants you to" which isn't all that motivating

You're having a laugh now Sam. If you don't know anything about the promotion of atheism and the persecution of religious belief in the Soviet Union, that is for you to research. It isn't for me to inform you about.

All I'm saying is, other ideologies are equally open to criticism based on promotion of hatred than Christianity is in any respect.

I'm willing to say that this is down to the abuse of atheism, and the neglection of humanist principles, as I am willing to say the Crusades were caused by the abuse of Christianity, and the neglection of Christian principles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

Aliens? Now, there's something that might just be possible.
    But everlasting life?
    Big demons sticking red-hot pokers up your arse for all eternity?
    I don't think so.

Advertisement