Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build for work

Options
  • 01-09-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hey all, thinking of getting a new pc for work & college - software development, java, php, a lot of VM's. Will be running Ubuntu as my main OS.
    My budget is a around 900 euro.

Parts:
    Phenom 955 3.2 Ghz
    8 GB ram ddr3 (4x2gb)
    Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
    PSU - 500 watt.
    22" screen.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If we're talking proper crazy-league number of VMs then as a workstation I'd be tempted to go for an i7 build... for a hair over €900 shipped:

HWVS010909a.png

See what happens when you don't do anything crazy? I can get away with a CX400 thanks to the lack of gaming graphics :D Although you'd need a bigger PSU if you were thinking of building up a RAID array in future... Of course, if you think human multitasking is more important than that done by the CPU then stick with a Phenom2 build and get a second 22" instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭php-fox

I have one 22" already :)
    I was thinking about core i7, but tbh, I don't see any advantage of i7 920 over phenom 955. They have similar performace & phenom is even faster in certain scenarios (like archiving things).
    PSU - Yep, I will have 3-4 hard drives. So, 400 watt is a bit low.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

X4-955BE starts life fast, but i7 can be pushed further and has a big advantage in most heavy-duty applications and coding owing to HyperThreading. Eight logical cores sure aren't anywhere near as good as eight physical ones but the 40-60% speed increases are nothing to be sniffed at...

How many HDDs do you own and/or how many do you need/want? AMD build with one HDD for reference - €750 shipped:

HWVS020909.png

I could have saved you a bundle on the mobo but I stuck with a pricey SB750 model to give you the RAID5 option :) No idea if you'll tweak the CPU speed or need to quieten it down a bit, threw in a quietish heavy-duty cooler anyway. You don't need a graphics card with this as the HD3300 should be more than enough for two 22" screens if you're not gaming. Stuck with a unirail PSU, far safer option with server-grade storage in the offing. And yes, I was having a fun time trying to find cheap case fans. I usually spec the cheap ones with the Midgards as they have a bundled 3-fan controller for if (when) they try to play up, but they're out of stock. Few cases come with a good complement of fans these days...

Advertisement