Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fog lights story

• 01-09-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi there
    I've been going through forum and didn't find anything about fog lights on Irish roads. My question is simple as I still can't figure it out: why so many drivers have their fog lights on all the time???
    please enlighten me ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cause you look well cool, matches the Wolfrace alloys and big exhaust innit

as far as I can tell thats the reason anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

its the same reason why people have broken lights front and or back of the car,
    because they havnt a clue.
    and they dont care.
    also they have small brains.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

btw I was coming back today from co. Wicklow to Cork, pissing raining, cars barely seen but what You see on the road? every 2nd car has fog lights on and every 4th no lights at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭NFD100

Police in Uk will pull you over and you will cause unecessary attention to yourself! Also penalty point offence.

In Ireland, the government could sort out the NAMA and debt overnight by fining everyone 100 euro who have the damn things on when it is not foggy. That would sort the problem out!

As usual- Guards don't care

'In the UK, using fog lights in clear visibility is an offence punishable by
    three penalty points and either a fixed penalty fine or up to GBP500 in a
    magistrate's court. It will also often get you stopped by the police "on
    suspicion", because habitual drinkers tend to believe it is darker than it
    really is and switch on every light they have'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

NFD100 wrote: »
    In Ireland, the government could sort out the NAMA and debt overnight by fining everyone 100 euro who have the damn things on when it is not foggy. That would sort the problem out!
    Don't be silly, no they couldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the clues in the name isnt it///FOG lights....you'd think some of these morons would twig that wouldnt you....one of my pet hates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Maybe the fog is all in the mind....yeah man! :)

apparently a friend of mine from work gave me a lift back home once and I've spotted his fog lights on so politely asked why, he wasn't 100% sure, he said on the end that if he has more lights in front he'll be visible better - means safer, I had no more questions...

i believe many people dont actually know they have them on....just turned the stalk one click too far

On the other hand, I do know of a Lady who came home and told her Hubby a light had come on on her dash...turned out it was a BLUE light.....she was turning the end of the stalk once for (as she thought) dip headlights and twice for full beams...and thus spending most of her time driving on sidelights (another pet hate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I presume ye are talking about front fog lights?
    Dont have a problem with people having them on if they wish.
    You can't be too visible in my opinion, except if you have full beams on un-necessarily, now thats a pet hate of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

Anyone who drives with their front or rear fog lights on when its not foggy should be shot!!! Its bloody dazzling especially in wet conditions.
    What part of FOGLIGHTS do they not understand?

Day driving lights (As seen on Volvos and some german cars etc) are ok and indeed mandatory in scandinavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

corktina wrote: »
    i believe many people dont actually know they have them on....just turned the stalk one click too far

On the other hand, I do know of a Lady who came home and told her Hubby a light had come on on her dash...turned out it was a BLUE light.....she was turning the end of the stalk once for (as she thought) dip headlights and twice for full beams...and thus spending most of her time driving on sidelights (another pet hate)

That's it. I'd say a lot of people don't have clue what lights the have on, or don't have on. And i've seen the example you've given happen sooooo many times. They sit in the car, it's dark, they turn the stalk to position "one", see the lights on the dash light up and think, "grand, that's me sorted" and off they go, driving down country roads with only parking lights. I have actually mentioned this to someone before, and told them they need to turn on their dipped headlights, to which they replied "they are on, the next are full beams"....
    99% of annoying things on the road can be put down to peoples stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hi corktina, this is a good point and one I just want to clarify with a question, as I'm not fully certain with what lights should be on when (sorry :( ):

- When you turn the stalk twice, these are the headlights you should be driving with at night time, and turning the stalk once are the ones you knock on when it's a bit dark/raining during the day yes?

- Also, when the blue light comes on, are these your fog lights? I call them my "full" lights, that I put on if on an unlit road at night with noone coming the other way, is this right?

- Are fog lights and full lights the same thing?

If I'm wrong please correct me, as an act of kindness to other motorists :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

personally I find it stranger that so many drive in actual fog without turning them on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think some people are over-reacting slightly. Fog lights do not dazzle other drivers during the daylight hours. IMO, I'd prefer to see people with fogs on during the day. They make it alot easier to see a car in the distance on a sunny/wet day IMO. Then again, you could make the argument that your dipped headlights will do the trick, and they will.

However, anyone who drives at nighttime with fogs on should be prosecuted. It is dangerous to meet an oncoming car with front fogs on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Hi corktina, this is a good point and one I just want to clarify with a question, as I'm not fully certain with what lights should be on when (sorry :( ):

- When you turn the stalk twice, these are the headlights you should be driving with at night time, and turning the stalk once are the ones you knock on when it's a bit dark/raining during the day yes?

- Also, when the blue light comes on, are these your fog lights? I call them my "full" lights, that I put on if on an unlit road at night with noone coming the other way, is this right?

- Are fog lights and full lights the same thing?

If I'm wrong please correct me, as an act of kindness to other motorists :)

When you turn the stalk once, these are your parking lights. They're only supposed to be used to illuminate your car when stationary so it can be seen easier if you're stopped at the side of the road for a short time.
    The next twist of the stalk is your headlights, which should be turned on in poor visibility, rain, or at night. The headlights have two settings, dipped and full (or main beam). Dipped is for on-coming traffic, when driving behind someone and in built up areas. Main is for unlit areas where there is no on-coming traffic or no car ahead of you. Switching between dipped and main lights is usually by pushing/pulling the stalk. The blue light indicates the main beam.
    Fog lights are different. They're a seperate switch, either a small twisty switch on the stalk or a seperate button. There is always rear fog lights, and sometimes front fog lights. Both symbols have a wavey line down through them. Rear fog lights symbol is orange, front is green.
    Did you not learn any of this when learning to drive?

Biro wrote: »
    When you turn the stalk once, these are your parking lights. They're only supposed to be used to illuminate your car when stationary so it can be seen easier if you're stopped at the side of the road for a short time.
    The next twist of the stalk is your headlights, which should be turned on in poor visibility, rain, or at night. The headlights have two settings, dipped and full (or main beam). Dipped is for on-coming traffic, when driving behind someone and in built up areas. Main is for unlit areas where there is no on-coming traffic or no car ahead of you. Switching between dipped and main lights is usually by pushing/pulling the stalk. The blue light indicates the main beam.
    Fog lights are different. They're a seperate switch, either a small twisty switch on the stalk or a seperate button. There is always rear fog lights, and sometimes front fog lights. Both symbols have a wavey line down through them. Rear fog lights symbol is orange, front is green.

ive read that three times and Im still not sure its not a wind up....
    i hope the poster is going to come back and say they are a learner who hasnt got very far with their lessons yet. It does prove my point though...many people dont really know what light s they should have on and when...

ive read that three times and Im still not sure its not a wind up....
    i hope the poster is going to come back and say they are a learner who hasnt got very far with their lessons yet. It does prove my point though...many people dont really know what light s they should have on and when...

It's true. I noticed on a friends Focus the other day that the light switch was a turnable switch on the dash, and the 12 o'clock position was off (obviously!) 1 o'clock was headlights and 11 o'clock was parking lights. So to turn on the lights its just one click clockwise. So you have to consciously turn on the parking lights on a Focus. Makes sense really.

Turning fog lights "by mistake" as an excuse?? I don't know about that, but i know there is car manual and reason for fixing fog lights in a car by manufacturers, I'd agree theres no harm during the day but over night is a disaster, and another thing, how is that somebody doesn't know he has fog lights on? you're stopping behind the other car and you see 4 lights reflected off his bumper, well I see anyway.

i take we all agree about Pratts with their rear fogs on when not foggy do we?

• Advertisement

i take we all agree about Pratts with their rear fogs on when not foggy do we?

I see rear fog lights on rarely, we're on front lights mainly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

I have never been Dazzeled by front Fogs on a car*. I Don't have a problem with it.
    More of a problem is people driving with no lights or only side lights when dipped headlights are required.
    Also a issue are badly adjusted/Focused headlights. Now these do dazzle oncoming traffic.
    I myself drive with my headlights on at all times.

*Older Nisan Micras with Front Fogs are an exception. they must have 1,000,000 watt bulbs in there or a mini sun or somthing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

I should point out that not all cars have fog lights. The car I learned to drive on had no fog lights and I bought my own car recently and AFAIK it doesn't have fog lights either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm surprised no-one has yet mentioned the complete and utter retards who drive with parking lights and front fogs! :( Surely even their friends could tell them!

SeanW wrote: »
    I should point out that not all cars have fog lights. The car I learned to drive on had no fog lights and I bought my own car recently and AFAIK it doesn't have fog lights either.

It's been a long time since cars didn't have fog lights. I'm talking about rear ones. Only some cars have front ones, but all cars have rear fog lights. They have to by law. So get your manual out!
    I don't mind front fog lights so much, they don't dazzle me. It's rear ones that drive me mad. You can't even see past someone to try to overtake them. And for some reason so many people see a wisp of fog as I'm driving behind them and on with the fog lights. What kind of pleb would think that I couldn't see them any more just because of a cloud that happens to be in a nearby field? When someone comes up behind you in fog it's time to turn off the fog lights.

I diosagree there...because of the variable nature of FOg (not mist...) they should be on and remain on on the rear when its foggy. The car behind should then sit back a reasonable distance so they arent dazzled and are safe, there being no questiuon of overtaking in these conditions.

I diosagree there...because of the variable nature of FOg (not mist...) they should be on and remain on on the rear when its foggy. The car behind should then sit back a reasonable distance so they arent dazzled and are safe, there being no questiuon of overtaking in these conditions.

Obviously you're one of those people. Look - you need to answer this question. What is the rear fog light for? The answer is simple. It's to improve the chances of being seen in foggy weather. Once there is a car behind you (obviously at a safe distance) TURN THE LIGHT OFF! It's dangerous and dazzling to cars behind. Why would you possibly want it left on?
    This goes to everyone. Once you can see the car behind, they can see you. Turn your rear foglight off until there's nothing behind you again. It's to help to be seen. Once you are seen, you don't need it and it's only a hazard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's been a long time since cars didn't have fog lights. I'm talking about rear ones. Only some cars have front ones, but all cars have rear fog lights. They have to by law. So get your manual out!

Wrong, I drive Jap import, I have front fogs but no rear ones.

tuxy wrote: »
    Wrong, I drive Jap import, I have front fogs but no rear ones.

Official european imports all do by law. The law doesn't govern cars for the Asian or US markets obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well do you not think it's possible the car SeanW learned to drive in was a JDM car?
    Maybe something like a nissan march.

Obviously you're one of those people. Look - you need to answer this question. What is the rear fog light for? The answer is simple. It's to improve the chances of being seen in foggy weather. Once there is a car behind you (obviously at a safe distance) TURN THE LIGHT OFF! It's dangerous and dazzling to cars behind. Why would you possibly want it left on?
    This goes to everyone. Once you can see the car behind, they can see you. Turn your rear foglight off until there's nothing behind you again. It's to help to be seen. Once you are seen, you don't need it and it's only a hazard.

one of what people?

Theres more than one car on the road, not just the one behind you....what about the guy behind him?you need as much info as possible in fog....and if you arent right up the ass end of someone with fogs on, they wont be dazzling..

..i have never before heard anyone advocate turning OFF fog lights in the fog...what if the guy behind turns off and the guy behind him accelerate smartly into the back of you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I diosagree there...because of the variable nature of FOg (not mist...) they should be on and remain on on the rear when its foggy.

Fog lights (front and/or rear) should only be used when visibility is poor enough to warrant them and not simply because it's foggy or raining. Unfortunately many drivers turn them on with the slightest fog/rain when visibility is still good enough to be easily seen within. Basically, if you can see tail lights ahead in the distance* then so can the cars coming behind you.

Even more leave their rear fogs on to dazzle the car behind even if it is keeping a good braking distance back. And they often do dazzle because the rear fogs are at different heights on different vehicles, some are close to eye level and have a long range.

Front fogs are designed to penetrate under the fog and illuminate the road and verge for a short distance (eg 5-10 metres) in front. They should only be used when the relection from the fog makes your dipped lights ineffective.

(* well outside the braking zone of a fast moving car, not 50-60m ahead)

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Fog lights (front and/or rear) should only be used when visibility is poor enough to warrant them and not simply because it's foggy or raining. Unfortunately many drivers turn them on with the slightest fog/rain when visibility is still good enough to be easily seen within. Basically, if you can see tail lights ahead in the distance* then so can the cars coming behind you.

Even more leave their rear fogs on to dazzle the car behind even if it is keeping a good braking distance back. And they often do dazzle because the rear fogs are at different heights on different vehicles, some are close to eye level and have a long range.

Front fogs are designed to penetrate under the fog and illuminate the road and verge for a short distance (eg 5-10 metres) in front. They should only be used when the relection from the fog makes your dipped lights ineffective.

One good answer at least :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Manufacturers should be puttign the foglights on a dash mounted switch away from the light stalk. For the amount its used its no more effort to push a button on the dash than turn a seperate part of the stalk.

That or have the fog light light flash on the dash while its on to clearly show it as somethign that shouldnt be on if not needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Only some cars have front ones, but all cars have rear fog lights. They have to by law. So get your manual out!
    I think you'll need to get the Statute Instrument manual out!

There is no requirement in Irish law for a vehicle to have fog lights - front or rear.

• Advertisement

in foggy wether at high speed it is perfectly possible to enter a bank of fog much thicker and lose sight a vehicle in front of you and become disorientated.What happens then is you just need one driver to panic and brake and you have a multiple pile up.Rear fog lights need to be ON in fog.Front fog lights are of little value in reality and are just value-added accesories.

In UK they've started fighting this habit already:

Daft motorists who use their fog lights in clear conditions in Coventry are facing a fine in a clampdown by traffic police.

Officers based at Fletchamstead Highway police station say that the blinding lights are being misused, and it is proving dangerous to other drivers.

A £30 fine will be imposed on drivers who break the law by going around with their fog lights on.

Acting Sergeant Nigel Fairburn said:

"We have been receiving complaints from members of the public who have been dazzled by motorists using their front fog lights when there is absolutely no need.

"The legislation states they are only to be used in conditions where visibility is serious impaired – generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet).

"We will be issuing fixed penalty fines of £30 to drivers who leave their front fog lights on despite the clear conditions.

"We believe that some motorists, especially young ones, are confused about their front fog lights and their use.

"Basically, if the lights are on a separate switch with a warning light on the dashboard, these are fog lights, and should only be used in extreme conditions.

"If they come on when you flick on the main beam switch then they are driving lights not fog lights and will disappear when the lights are dipped or switched off.

"Also drivers should ensure they remember to switch off rear fog lights after use as they can mask the brake lights of the car as well as dazzling motorists travelling behind."

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Don't forget you can use gof lights in heavy snow. :D

Don't forget you can use gof lights in heavy snow. :D

:) hardly in Ireland but heavy snow and very heavy rain

they are used quite legimately in spray conditions such as on a busy motorway, and as you say in heavy snow (neither really are much of a porb in Ireland of course...:-)

• Advertisement

in foggy wether at high speed it is perfectly possible to enter a bank of fog much thicker and lose sight a vehicle in front of you and become disorientated.What happens then is you just need one driver to panic and brake and you have a multiple pile up.Rear fog lights need to be ON in fog.Front fog lights are of little value in reality and are just value-added accesories.

Sure isn't that what I said, i.e. turn them on if visibility is poor enough. A thick bank of fog where you can't see what's ahead and traffic behind can't see you would certainly come under that heading. However, once you're far enough out the other side in the less dense fog, fog lights are often not required and are more of a hazard to following traffic. Rear fog lights (21W) are 4 times brighter than tail lights (5W) and should only be used if actually necessary to avoid interfering with other traffic. If you can see car lights behind you then he can see you.

Leaving your fog lights on in unnecessary conditions such as light fog/rain is akin to driving around with your foot on the brake pedal just in case you have to stop.

I agree front fog can be of little use in most cases however I have driven in fog that was so thick you couldn't even see the edge of the road with out them. Only for them I couldn't keep moving and twisty narrow country roads are not a safe place to park up for the night.

no its not what you said. If you are travelling in fog you can suddenly hit a denser patch .if one loses sight of the guy in front cos he's turned off his rears as the fog "is thinner here" and he panics and slows down, you could run into him and thus a chain reaction could occur and a multiple pile up. If its foggy to anydegree, the fogs need to be on and stay on...

no its not what you said. If you are travelling in fog you can suddenly hit a denser patch .if one loses sight of the guy in front cos he's turned off his rears as the fog "is thinner here" and he panics and slows down, you could run into him and thus a chain reaction could occur and a multiple pile up. If its foggy to anydegree, the fogs need to be on and stay on...

I'm afraid it is:
    Fog lights (front and/or rear) should only be used when visibility is poor enough to warrant them and not simply because it's foggy or raining.
    The classic pitfall is that too many drivers fail to realise that visibility doesn't only mean what they can see ahead of them it also means rearward visibility.
    Obviously you don't turn off your fog lights immediately after exiting dense fog while visibility for traffic still in there is still too poor to be seen, thats not what I advocated either. That's what rear fogs are for... to warn traffic behind who couldn't otherwise see you. Once you see the car behind then you should turn them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

On the way back from my 30th there was a checkpoint by Guinness on the quays. There were a load of people pulled over and every car got stopped. When it got to the car I was in that Garda talked to the driver (my friend does not drink :D) and told him it is against the law to have fog lights on when it is not foggy. I smirked at this and did an "I told you so". He did not get tested, probably because there were so many cars at the side of the road already so that is probably why the Garda bothered mentioning the fog lights, just to have something to say before moving him on :D

I'm afraid it is:
    The classic pitfall is that too many drivers fail to realise that visibility doesn't only mean what they can see ahead of them it also means rearward visibility.
    Obviously you don't turn off your fog lights immediately after exiting dense fog while visibility for traffic still in there is still too poor to be seen, thats not what I advocated either. That's what rear fogs are for... to warn traffic behind who couldn't otherwise see you. Once you see the car behind then you should turn them off.

sorry no..if there is a liklihood that the clearer patch you are in now could thicken again (which it could in seconds) you should keep the fogs on. You cannot see the density of fog until you are in it....it may look as if its clearing but its very deceptive and you may not have time to turn them back on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

NFD100 wrote: »
    Police in Uk will pull you over and you will cause unecessary attention to yourself! Also penalty point offence.

As usual- Guards don't care

'In the UK, using fog lights in clear visibility is an offense punishable by
    three penalty points and either a fixed penalty fine or up to GBP500 in a
    magistrate's court. It will also often get you stopped by the police "on
    suspicion", because habitual drinkers tend to believe it is darker than it
    really is and switch on every light they have'
    You must also remember that the UK is a police state where you can be fined up to £500 for leaving your wheely bin out on the wrong day. :rolleyes:

thats no different to fining someone for littering...see the photo on that article...its a real problem in places that no doubt needs tough action...some houses have 4 different bins for differrent categories of waste and these bins are a real eyesore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Newjellyboxer

Maybe it justs me put I remember a Government campaign about 15 years ago telling people to drive with lights on be it day or night.

I'm driving with lights all the time (dipped headlights)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

People here love to quote "in the UK"

Guess what.....Im in Ireland, and I use my front fog lights. Less drivers dart out in front of me from a side road when I have them on, I do it because I am more visable to people, not to look cool.

On another note, if I had my back fog light on for no reason, I would consider myself to be an assh*le!

• Advertisement
Advertisement