Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickest route from Kilmainham to UCD by car

Options
  • 01-09-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm looking for the quickest route during rush hour to get to UCD (either the Clonskeagh or Roebuck Rd entrance) from Kilmainham by car.

Is going along the canal the safest bet or is there an alternate way?

Will be starting out there soon and would appreciate suggestions from people (if any) who travel this route!

:)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Traffic on the canal is heavy, I cycle it every morning. Invest in a push bike, you can take a right turn down Ranelagh, that road eventually leads to the Clonskeagh gate. It is illegal to turn right there in a car, I just turn into a pedestrian temporarily. Anyway for the car, with the heavy traffic, you turn right down Donnybrook. Enter the main entrance. Even though it is not the entrance you specified, anyplace in UCD is not far by way of walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭peejay01

Thanks for that. I've never been out there so I didn't have a clue about which entrance you can go through by car, I just have a campus map with the different entrances on it.

Is there free parking there? Is there different parking for students and staff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 markj1

There's another alternative...

You'll love this - get out Googlemaps. Head up Suir Road to the canal, crossing the Luas, straight ahaead (not down the canal) onto Slievenamon Rd, left onto Keeper Road, right onto Herberton Road and all along Sundrive Road. Cross the Kimmage road onto Larkfield Park and Clareville Road. Right onto Kenilworth Park and across the messy junction on Rathgar Avenue, then onto Orwell Road, left onto Orwell Park, right onto the Miltown Road, right onto the Dundrum Road, quick left onto Miltownbridge Road, right at the roundabout onto Maple Road, Right on Laburnum Road, follow around onto the Clonskeagh Road, left and then right into the Clonskeagh gate of UCD. Only downside is parking and getting out at night.

I'd be really interested in hearing of a better route but this is one I've honed over the last year or so.

Point to note... you need to be early in the day to get parking and all traffic routes get slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 buzzibee

The traffic on Suir Road, Herberton Road, Sundrive, Clareville etc... is very congested in the mornings. The lights at Keeper Road, Drimnagh are awful by the way.
    The only real way to find out is to do a a few dummy runs, one the canal way, another through Kimmage, keep trying different routes.
    For starters I would go the up the canal from Rialto/SCR Road, maybe turn right at Harolds Cross Bridge, keep going and turn left onto Leinster Road, come out at Rathmines behind St. Louie's school, right at the Swan Centre and up towards Ranelagh Village and take it from there.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Avoid the canals anyway pal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 markj1

Peejay01,. you'd have been happy with one answer... now your probably worse off.

Doing the run I described in about 25 mins at the moment... leaving early.

The canals are a cause of madness - the sooner you can get away from them and their right turns across on-coming traffic the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Traffic on the canal is heavy, I cycle it every morning. Invest in a push bike, you can take a right turn down Ranelagh, that road eventually leads to the Clonskeagh gate. It is illegal to turn right there in a car, I just turn into a pedestrian temporarily. Anyway for the car, with the heavy traffic, you turn right down Donnybrook. Enter the main entrance. Even though it is not the entrance you specified, anyplace in UCD is not far by way of walking.

+1
    I used to do this cycle every day to UCD. Takes about 25/30 mins but there is a a cycle path most of the way.

Parking for a car in UCD is a nightmare. If you are doing this long term OP you should really consider the bike.

The other option is the take the 123 from St James to Dame St and take the 46a from Nassau St.

Advertisement