Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breader wont give puppys papers

Options
  • 01-09-2009 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

i got my puppy about 3 months ago and havent been able to get the papers. the breader keeps sayin she sent the papers to the kennel club so it there problum but i have been in touch with them and they have no record of them or the breader. just wondering if there is anything else i can do like go to a solicater or the guards. i have a copy of the add with all the details

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Did you get the microchip number etc?

I don't think there's much you can do but report them to the IKC maybe -- or the ISPCA if she's pretending to be a breeder but isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm afraid it sounds like you've been had. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 macawalla

ya i have the chip number. think it might be time to call around for another visit to them. :cool:

Well if its any use to you I've heard of some KC delays in the past, but never longer than 4 weeks to process from the date a breeder sent in the paperwork.

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

just wondering if there is anything else i can do like go to a solicater or the guards. i have a copy of the add with all the details[/quote]

i reckon this helps. some legal people here may help.
    "it doesen't do what it says on the tin" if you know what i mean!
    sold one thing saying another?
    don't let this go.
    get a friend to ring up to buy from the add or a radio station etc. to highlight
    if this is wrong/fraud!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Did you see the parents and their papers? Do you know their pedigree names?
    Both my dogs I saw and was given photocopies of the parents IKC certs and health check certs, this is always a good idea.
    If you have the parents names and reg numbers and the microchip number I think you can register the pup yourself. Not sure if you need anything else, ask the IKC.
    Also did the chip number come on a registration card? Has a vet checked for a chip. I know someone who bought a pup, told it was chipped and papers were on the way, no papers ever arrived and dog wasn't even chipped.
    This doesn't sound good, normally a breeder would be trying to sort this or help you sort it if it was a true mistake.

Not sure what you can do about it, report to IKC and where add was placed, not sure how law stands but maybe get advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Did you pay full price or were these puppies a little cheaper than you would have expected to pay?

i payed full price and he is a pedigree. i saw the parents but didnt see the papers. he is chiped. i had that checked when i got the papers. im going to keep at them anyway. just want to see if i can get the solicter or guards involved. its not even about the papers any more. im just not letting them away with it

I can't see the gardai having much interest or making much effort for you. I'd say the solicitor would be a much better bet.

Ultimately though what is it you want from them? If the papers can't be had because they lied will you be seeking your money back? Will you give your dog back for a refund? What is it you want?

I'm not asking these questions for you to answer me, just merely suggesting that you might want to think about what would be a satisfactory conclusion for you if the papers can't be had. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

mymo wrote: »
    Did you see the parents and their papers? Do you know their pedigree names?
    Both my dogs I saw and was given photocopies of the parents IKC certs and health check certs, this is always a good idea.
    If you have the parents names and reg numbers and the microchip number I think you can register the pup yourself. Not sure if you need anything else, ask the IKC.Also did the chip number come on a registration card? Has a vet checked for a chip. I know someone who bought a pup, told it was chipped and papers were on the way, no papers ever arrived and dog wasn't even chipped.
    This doesn't sound good, normally a breeder would be trying to sort this or help you sort it if it was a true mistake.

Not sure what you can do about it, report to IKC and where add was placed, not sure how law stands but maybe get advice.

Sorry, but only the breeder can register the dog/pup.

• Advertisement

Where did you find this breeder? was he/she recommended to you through a club or did you find them online or in the paper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

macawalla wrote: »
    i payed full price and he is a pedigree. i saw the parents but didnt see the papers. he is chiped. i had that checked when i got the papers. im going to keep at them anyway. just want to see if i can get the solicter or guards involved. its not even about the papers any more. im just not letting them away with it

Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit dense, but I thought that you didn't have the papers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Keep trying to contact them, papers do take a while to go through but KC may not have gotten any.

It's Breeder not breader and solictor (sorry it was annoyin me lol).

As said ensure the pup is chipped, take the pup to the vet to double check if they genuinely chipped the pup and if you got all the chip details and the form you might have to send the form off yourself if breeder didn't register the chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

get a friend to ring up to buy from the add or a radio station etc. to highlight
    if this is wrong/fraud!!!

Maybe not the best thing to do immediately, especially ringing a radio station. That could lead to so many more problem, not to mention getting you in trouble (slander/liable) or hindering any case you may take against the breeders in the future.

If you are really adamant about getting the papers for the dog, keep asking the breeder to lodge them with the KC, giving reasonable time for them to do this. You can always check with the KC to see if they have received/processed the application.

Contact the KC and seek their advice.

If you really want to pursue this legally, then contact a solicitor and have a chat with them. It may also be advisable to keep discussion on this topic to a minimum, especially in a public forum, as it may hinder your case, if you decide to take one.

However, you have to weigh up all your options here: expenses, hassle, why you want the papers, etc., and then make your decision.

It's Breeder not breader and solictor (sorry it was annoyin me lol).
    And its annoying :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Good question. I'd love to know where you found this breeder? If he was recommended on a site, he should be reported to that site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I would be very careful about slander.
    It might be the case that they IKC are taking their time with processing it.
    I got my pup off a breeder and I had to ring her a few weeks later to ask why I'd not received my papers, she apologised profusely said work had been mental and she'd not sent them off, but did the following day and I got them in due course.

I would try getting in contact again, inform the breeder that the IKC have no record of her /have not received anything from her and that you will take matters further if this cannot be resolved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

I think if the pup is chipped there is a fair chance the breeder at the very least had intended to register the pups.

Now anything could have happened since, possibly one of the parents are only English KC reg and then this could mean a lot more effort and a little more money and the breeder having got paid already isn't bothered now.

You need to keep after him/her in the nicest way possible, and hope they get so sick of you that they will make the effort.

i found the pups on done deal and made sure that when i viewed them and picked him up i done it at the breeders home.

i have been on to the kennel club a few times and from the details i gave them they have no record of him at the moment and they only have a back log of 3 days at the moment so thats not the problum.

basicly i would like to get the papers as i had intended to breed and show him. If i cant i would like some of my money back as the unregistered ones are sold a lot cheeper.

i did manage to get in contact with her today after i sent a message saying i would get on to my solicater. she said would ring the ikc tomorrow to see why i didn't get papers. hopefully she will ring this time as the last time she said it i didnt hear from here till now.

i will have to wait and see how tomorrow will go

back to the topic.

has anyone else gone through this and have any help for me

The papers will go back to her first from the IKC and not directly to you, so she should be sending them to you, not the IKC sending them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

Hiya

When we got our purebred it actually took about 7 months (some problem with one of the puppies chip which held up all papers) Bought in November, papers in June or something. We contacted the breeder a few times and she seemed sincere. But we had the kennel name and don't have fixed plans to show or anything (though it would be nice!) So yes basically we did experience the long wait and all that ;)

Advertisement