Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hard Kick Ass Riffmasters!?

• 01-09-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, first time posting in rock and metal.

I used to be a big metal fan but, since leaving college 2 years ago, moving away from my metalmad mates and working in an office I havn't stumbeled across any good bands in while.:(

The last band that I found really interesting were Wintersun, (I know all the main metal bands from pre 2007) so basicaly I was wondering is there any bands out recently (last 2 yrs) who have really caught your attention for immense musical skill, passionate well sung vocals, and most importantly addictive, hard and powerful riffs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Dream Theater? Ayreon? Not necessarily riff driven music alot of the time but they fulfill the first two...

Anything else you like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Check out Chimaira's new album, The Infection. There's some seriously heavy riffs in some that. They're older than 2years, but have really shined on this one.

And Mastodons new album.

I haven't really gotten into any new bands in the last two years, just kept up with the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Dream Theater? Ayreon? Not necessarily riff driven music alot of the time but they fulfill the first two...

Anything else you like?

I love all the classics, wont bother naming them all, Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera you know the drift.., all the way through to softer riff driven old school metal like Black Sabbath.

Newer stuff, I like Dragonforce, In Flames (they're not new but I got into them late!), I, and even Killswitch Engage.

And I'll check out Chimera's latest! thanks!

Yeah give Mastodon a listen:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

4 words! FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH!!

Another newish band i like is Black Tide..

Also Steel Panther(Metal Skool), again not new but ive only heard of em recently

I also second the recomendation for Mastodons Crack The Skye. A real epic album, no filler tracks.

• Advertisement

LD 50 wrote: »
    And Mastodons new album.
    Yeah give Mastodon a listen:)
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    I also second the recomendation for Mastodons Crack The Skye. A real epic album, no filler tracks.

This shall have to be checked :)

That Black Tide clip is an awful quailty sound recording, for drums and vocals, but I can tell its just the sort of style I love!
    Max Power1 wrote: »
    Also Steel Panther(Metal Skool), again not new but ive only heard of em recently.

These guys are brilliant!! I have had this on in the car every day for 3 months! Still has me in stiches! musically good but epicly funny!

Little Nipper, you probably already love these guys (gathering from your posts on other forums!;)) but if you havnt already got it, get their album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

That Black Tide clip is an awful quailty sound recording, for drums and vocals, but I can tell its just the sort of style I love!
    Sorry it was the only one on youtube that didnt have "embedding disabled by request"

:D

Little Nipper, you probably already love these guys (gathering from your posts on other forums!;)) but if you havnt already got it, get their album!
    I haven't actually but ill get right on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Hi guys, first time posting in rock and metal.

The last band that I found really interesting were Wintersun, (I know all the main metal bands from pre 2007) so basicaly I was wondering is there any bands out recently (last 2 yrs) who have really caught your attention for immense musical skill, passionate well sung vocals, and most importantly addictive, hard and powerful riffs?

im sure Wintersun have been keeping you happy since 2007:), Cant wait for their new album 'Time' but really sick of waiting for it. Their is no new band that has blowing me away recently, so just gonna mention two albums that i cant get enough of : Eluveitie - Slainte and Windir - 1184......or for a bit of fun and good riffs check out Alestorm's new album - Black Sails at Midnight:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    two albums that i cant get enough of : Eluveitie - Slainte and Windir - 1184

If you like Windir, then Cor Scorpii would be worth checking out.

To op, since you like wintersun you might be interested in Ensiferum. Wintersun's singer/guitarist played on their first few albums before setting up Wintersun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

JBnaglfar wrote: »

To op, since you like wintersun you might be interested in Ensiferum. Wintersun's singer/guitarist played on their first few albums before setting up Wintersun.

Cheers for the recommendation on 'Cor Scorpii' - they are right up my alley, bring on the 'Sognametal'! Yeah the first 2 Ensiferum albums are classics but not fond of any other albums, their new album is out now but really cant get into it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭RayCon

Mastodon's Crack The Skye is a great album - but they cannot reproduce it live to save their lives ... Great in the Studio - Poor live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I thought they were pretty good live. No interaction, but they played the songs almost exactly, as far as I could tell.

JBnaglfar wrote: »

This is the sh!t!! cheers!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd recommend them myself, remind me of young Metallica to certain extent

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

Besides what has been mentioned the only other band that stands out for me recently is Evile :pac:

New video was released today.
    The video may be ****e but the song is brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Besides what has been mentioned the only other band that stands out for me recently is Evile :pac:

New video was released today.
    The video may be ****e but the song is brilliant :D

Evile are great if it's some old school thrash you're after. Been waiting for their new album for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

This is the sh!t!! cheers!
    Glad you liked it. I thought of another band you might like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Cavalera Conspiracy would probably be right up your street.

Advertisement