Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An expensive tin of coffee - 200% more expensive than supermarket

Options
  • 01-09-2009 10:43pm
    Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep

Hi

Maybe this should be in the biz section, but people in business are consumers.

If you are thinking of buying coffee, tea or cleaning supplies etc through stationery websites such as VikingDirect or HuntOffice.ie, check the prices in your local supermarket first.

For example:

750g Nescafe Gold Blend

HuntOffice.ie - €40.08
    VikingDirect.ie - €55.87
    Superquinn (900g) - €18.57

So Viking is 200% more expensive than Superquinn (or 250% if you include the extra 150g with Superquinn).

Check out prices on toilet paper, water (at Viking 2ltr bottle of Ballygowan - €3), cleaning products etc at your local supermarket before buying from the stationery stores.

Rant over!!

Cheers
    Derek

Citations
    HuntOffice.ie - See http://www.huntoffice.ie/nescafe-original-instant-coffee-granules-tin-750g-ref-a00940-374396.html#huntreviews
    VikingDirect.ie - €55.87 incl VAT - See page 249 of current catalogue Winter 2009
    Superquinn (3 x 200g jar + 50% extra free) - purchased today at Superquinn, Ballinteer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

I often found this to be true about a whole range of products in the Viking catalogue, I think they must depend on the purchasing being done by an office junior who isnt that concerned about getting value for money for the company he/she works for and is swayed by the free gifts that they often throw in with each order such as a dvd players, portable stereos, chocolates etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

R3al wrote: »
    I often found this to be true about a whole range of products in the Viking catalogue, I think they must depend on the purchasing being done by an office junior who isnt that concerned about getting value for money for the company he/she works for and is swayed by the free gifts that they often throw in with each order such as a dvd players, portable stereos, chocolates etc

Well if the fcukers stopped sending out catalogues every quarter they might be able to take a few quid off the price of their coffee. I ordered two chairs off them at least 2 years ago and have got a catalogue off them ever since. Fcuken nitwits <rant over> :mad:

BTW I couldn't be arsed telling them stop. If they want to waste money, be my guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

R3al wrote: »
    Yes, I have seen our receptionist do this. Another thing is that many accounts depts prefer to deal with suppliers on their books, and have accounts with. So they often pay over the odds from normal suppliers, and of course the suppliers know this.

Also whos job is it to go shopping in dunnes? In our place somebody does, but I dunno who. The issue has come up before though, where we knowingly pay more for items, otherwise it is a false economy, since a worker might spend an hour of paid time to save €5 on an item, it is often cheaper to order in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Most sensible people get stuff from supermarkets and get reimbursed from the petty cash, or others get a cash and carry card and save money for themselves, and their employees.

Viking (and their ilk) have always been robbers, which is why I stopped dealing with them a few years ago. They must have been through quite a few rain-forests with all that crap they send out on a more than regular basis.

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

agree with RubaDub about always weighing up full costs of taking one action versus another action.

one could register with Superquinn.ie and get it delivered (presume they deliver to business?)

On another note about Viking, if you have an account you can ask them to set the account so that you will always get the cheapest price / sale price. At any one stage they must have 20% or 30% of their most popular items on sale (sure it is breaking the pomotion laws).

Also, make sure that they do not charge you for the carriage insurance. You pay a % or two to ensure that the item is taken by the Viking delivery guy from his van parked outside your door to your reception. Makes no sense. And I think they automatically apply it.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

Hi Sarah

[FONT=&quot]Alas, the link is coming up as an invalid link [/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we use viking in work, and we discovered nescafe coffee everyone loves was miles cheaper in aldi or lidl so we used petty cash to buy it there whenever someone was heading there...

although, viking do sell postage stamps and they cost the same as the post office, we'd buy two boxes a month and that puts you a:over the delivery charge amount and b: gets you free biscuits/gifts! its sweet...the pricing on office stuff is reasonable so i guess they make their mark ups on the catering side....

Advertisement