Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flickr, pix.ie, photo bucket, which one?

• 01-09-2009 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭

Which of these sites are best for storing photos...? Are they all free...? Is there any other sites worth looking at...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

pix.ie is free free and free. and no ads
    best IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Tallon wrote: »
    ... and no ads...

Yes it does, they're in a column on the left! ;)

But I agree, pix.ie is very good, large upload limits, friendly users and owners..... and they're Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I like pix.ie too but have flickr also. A lot of people will like / despise the interface of any online service. Try them all out - they're free.

At the moment, there are generous bandwidth allowances and few restrictions on pix.ie. It lacks some of the features of flickr but i've yet to look for them so it doesn't bother me.

Funny but flickr annoyed me with their free account - miserable upload limit and inability to give you back anything more than 800px until you go pro with them. Hence I got really fond of pix.ie but now, I seldom upload anything to pix.ie more than 800px :D Oh how young and innocent I was (and that was just the year before the last).

Pix.ie definitely has a more Irish flavour if that's your thing. They also do a nice forum copy/paste code for your images which is really handy for the random thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Pix.ie.. Because I said so :) Ah no, support Irish industry and all that jazz. Also, it's nicer than flickr.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'd say flickr... personally the design, the layout and lack of decent uploader puts me off, have an account, put its not really used, dont like linking folk to it, seems a tad cheesy or summa, spinning photos and all that jazz...mneh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dmac120

Small bit off topic but could anyone recommend some photography groups to join on Flickr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

dmac120 wrote: »
    Small bit off topic but could anyone recommend some photography groups to join on Flickr?
    haha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I use tinypic.com

Works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't use pix.ie and though it'd be nice to keep my photos posted on an Irish based site as well, by the feedback here it sounds like a bit of hassle. Whereas flickr is dead handy for uploading, tagging etc.

Just search for things related to the photography you are into and join the more popular groups.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Remember that Pix.ie have their own forum on Boards.ie which sets it apart from the other Photo Sharing sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

The easiest way to choose the groups you will most enjoy is to

1. Look at photos you like.
    2. See what groups they are in (usually on the RHS of the page.
    3. Got to the profile page of photographers you admire and join the groups they
    are in.

There are so many groups, I tend to join quite a few, depending on what I'm trying to learn at any given time. Prime lens groups are very helpful, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dmac120

Anouilh wrote: »
    The easiest way to choose the groups you will most enjoy is to

1. Look at photos you like.
    2. See what groups they are in (usually on the RHS of the page.
    3. Got to the profile page of photographers you admire and join the groups they
    are in.

There are so many groups, I tend to join quite a few, depending on what I'm trying to learn at any given time. Prime lens groups are very helpful, for instance.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i use flickr but only the free account it's a bit limiting just been too lazy to buy a pro account, have my own website but it's got another web site sitting on it (it was a test) which i've yet to recreate!! :rolleyes:
    i use photobucket too although it's covered with ads but if you can ignore them it's ok too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I use flickr..I paid the yearly €30 for the pro account and it's worth it in my opinion.
    I would switch to pixie but there are limits on your uploads whereas on flickr I can upload my full collection with no probs...just to get around to it now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

by the feedback here it sounds like a bit of hassle. Whereas flickr is dead handy for uploading, tagging etc.

Uploading and tagging whilst basic, is adequate for my needs but I tend to only post images in small numbers at any one time (perhaps 1,2,3 or maybe 4 images max at a time). If you are uploading your entire holiday snaps to it, or a large portfolio and want to tag every image individually then flickr is probably stronger in its multi display functionality. If you upload lots of images and tag them all the same then there's not much to differentiate. But I think rather than a generalised statement of flickr being better in such regard, it does actually depend on what you are trying to do.

Actually, now that I'm thinking through the process on pix.ie - for a batch, it's not terribly difficult - once the batch is uploaded with the common tags you simply go to your recent uploads and they will be displayed in a grid (the same as your normal viewing grid) click on each and update whatever tags you want. I know flickr allows for multiples on one screen which might be slightly easier but I don't know that there's much in it. Perhaps a preference.

If desktop uploaders are your thing then flickr has it whilst pix.ie doesn't afaik. I don't use them but I know some people would swear by them

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

Flickr get the thumbs up for me
    Pix.ie its seach engine is infuriating never comes up with what you are looking for:(
    also their uploader is seriously slow
    i love Flickr's group sections
    also the pro account is great for stats on your varoius pics e.t.c
    i notice that pix.ie now has a vip option not sure exactly what this is all about:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Berkut wrote: »
    I use flickr..I paid the yearly €30 for the pro account and it's worth it in my opinion.
    I would switch to pixie but there are limits on your uploads whereas on flickr I can upload my full collection with no probs...just to get around to it now :D

This reminds me of why I started using Flickr rather than Blogger for uploading. I came across references to copyright issues that were unclear with Blogger and the Flickr system, both for free and paying accounts, gives the option of choosing a copyright licence that is clearly stated and linked to Creative Commons:

http://creativecommons.org/

I would be interested to know more about the OP's way of using the their choice of site, as this could help them decide very quickly which is the best.

Frappr also has an photo upload function. It is a site basically for generating personalised maps that other members can join.

I like Flickr because it is fast, but Pix.ie is nice to use and I keep special photos there as they look well in the more subtle template.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Pint

photobucket is the worst of the lot. Degrades quality, horrible layout and doesn't work half of the time.

flickr I've never used, the constant messages asking people to join their' group' puts me off.

pixie I just joined and love so far. Great community, fast upload speeds,looks great and an excellent layout and concept.

My only problem with pixie so far is the inability to sort photos manually.Seems odd to me why that basic feature would be left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Pix.ie for me. I find the groups and awards nonsense on flickr just plain irritating.

Given a choice, the cleaner aesthetic of flickr does appeal, but the sense of community on pix.ie wins hands down. I have no problems with the uploader, but I do tend to be pretty selective about what I put online, if I were using it purely as a bulk backup storage facility, that might change.

The best thing for me about pix.ie is the unbelievable level of access the Irish photographic community has to those in charge of pix.ie via the boards forum, twitter or their own helpdesk, they give absolutely superb support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Think I'll give pix.ie a go...! Then maybe Flickr...!

EDIT:Signed up with pix.ie... currently uploading 56.3mb of pics... Expected to take 20 mins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Yes it does, they're in a column on the left! ;)

But I agree, pix.ie is very good, large upload limits, friendly users and owners..... and they're Irish!

Yep its a much nicer site as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there are good few irish ones which can be good if you are into landscape photography I normally go for specific area ones that don't do invites.

Advertisement