Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai Green Curry Recipe ???

Options
  • 01-09-2009 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Has anyone got a recipe for a Green Curry, not one that I have to make the curry paste, (i'll get that from the jar). I have been using the Green & Red Curry by Lloyd Grossman but I'm hoping I can do better !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Afraid I use the curry paste too or worse still, the ready made sauces. They are lovely though - some nicer than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Not sure what you want a recipe for? You will use a curry paste? So fry some garlic, add diced chicken and colour. Add your curry paste, a large tablespoon usually does it. Cook for a minute and add a tin of coconut milk. Then add whole chunks of galangal, bashed lemongrass stalks and some kaffir lime leaves. Cook for 15 minutes and add lime juice and fish sauce, tasting as you go.

That's the basics. I add sweet potato or french beans at the start to bulk it up; add scalded beanshoots and chopped coriander in a heap on top of the curry and rice when serving. A few crushed peanuts and a wedge of lime.

The sauce is usually thinner than an Indian curry. Serve the meat and veg, leaving the whole galangal, kaffir and lemongrass behind in the wok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 mintymint

Perfect thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Thanks for that , Minder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Curry paste jars are small enough anyway, so you might as well get that and make the rest from scratch.

I use the Bord Bia receipe for Thai Green curry (changing around between prawn or chicken etc) and I've always been happy with the result :-)
    http://www.bordbia.ie/aboutfood/recipes/pork/Pages/ThaiPorkGreenCurry.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Minder wrote: »
    Not sure what you want a recipe for? You will use a curry paste? So fry some garlic, add diced chicken and colour. Add your curry paste, a large tablespoon usually does it. Cook for a minute and add a tin of coconut milk. Then add whole chunks of galangal, bashed lemongrass stalks and some kaffir lime leaves. Cook for 15 minutes and add lime juice and fish sauce, tasting as you go.

That's the basics. I add sweet potato or french beans at the start to bulk it up; add scalded beanshoots and chopped coriander in a heap on top of the curry and rice when serving. A few crushed peanuts and a wedge of lime.

The sauce is usually thinner than an Indian curry. Serve the meat and veg, leaving the whole galangal, kaffir and lemongrass behind in the wok.

Personally I start off browning the meat (after marinading it for a couple of hours in a mixture of lime juice and a bit of the paste) and then removing, then adding the paste and then after a while the garlic. Continuing on the same as above, I only add the meat back in when I've about 10 mins to go as it stops the meat drying out

Just a personal thing I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭J.Ball

Give this a shot its not to bad and im not a fan of curry. I know you dont want to make the paste but its not that hard so at least you'll have the option there if you decide to try. :)

Green Curry Paste:
    6 spring onions, washed and trimmed
    4 to 6 medium green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic

1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
    1 tablespoon coriander seeds, pounded and crushed
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1/2 handful lime leaves, torn
    2 lemon grass stalks, trimmed back and finely chopped
    2 good handfuls fresh basil on the stalk

3 good handfuls fresh coriander on the stalk
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    4 limes, zested and juiced

4 chicken breasts without bone and skin, each cut into 5 large pieces
    16 ounces coconut milk
    1 handful chopped pistachio nuts

Put all the green curry paste ingredients in a food processor and whizz to a smooth green paste. Marinate the chicken in a little of the paste for 30 minutes, then add a little oil and the chicken pieces to a hot casserole-type pan or wok. Fry for 4 minutes, then add the remainder of the marinade – it will sizzle and spit. Stir in the coconut milk, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 8 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Season to taste. The flavor should have a kick but be reasonably mellow – very fresh and fragrant.
    Sprinkle with the pistachios and some coriander leaves and serve with steamed rice or noodles, and chunky coconut, tomato, cucumber and lime relish.
    Yield: 4 servings
    Prep Time: 45 minutes
    Cook Time: 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 16,053 ✭✭✭✭event

an easy paste to make

3 stalks of lemon grass
    4 cloves of garlic
    thumb sized piece of ginger
    3 spring onions
    4 green chillis (deseeded)
    some coriander
    1 table spoon of fish sauce
    3 table spoons of soy sauce
    coriander seeds

chop up all of the above, make sure to bash the ends of the lemon grass first to release the flavour. then when its all fine, blend it all in a handblender to make it into a paste

for the main recipe:

put a wok on a high heat for two minutes
    add in oil and then chicken.
    when it is browned off, add in teh paste and some asparagus that has been sliced down the middle
    do that for around 5 minutes, moving it so it doesnt stick. then add a can of coconut milk with some mangetout. chop and de-seed a red chilli and add that too
    mix that around for a further 5 minutes, squeez the juice of a lime into the curry and server over hot basmati rice

Advertisement