Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new kitten

Options
  • 01-09-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

HI all,

We have recently got a new kitten, male 8 weeks old. We are very fond of him, He is very cute and playful, and He is excellent with the litter box and very playful around the house. I have a few questions if anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

We want to keep him as a house cat so when do would it be ok to let him out on his own?

At what age should he get the snip?

How long can he be left alone in the house for?

Is there any thing else that we should be thinking of? I know He needs his vaccines and wormed.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

We want to keep him as a house cat so when do would it be ok to let him out on his own? Personally I think you should wait until he's neutered

At what age should he get the snip? At about 6 months old

How long can he be left alone in the house for? This depends on who you ask. When I went to get a kitten recently I decided to get two that they could keep each other company when I'm out.

Is there any thing else that we should be thinking of? I know He needs his vaccines and wormed. He'll need two vaccination shots and he'll have to be wormed with a single tablet every three months. I would advise you to get him microchipped before you let him outside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

I agree with the getting 2 kittens. I got my lil cutie Socks on the 11th of june at 7 weeks, but i work 4 days a week so she was alone for 2 or 3 hours every day while I was out. Everytime I left she cryed and scratched at the door and it was killing me so on the 22nd of july I got my other lil princess Charlotte (charlie) who was 12 weeks.
    Now I can go out for hours and they barely notice I'm gone :D
    They are much happier and so am I.
    Also about getting him neutered.....
    It really depends on where your based.
    The cat hospital in Glanmire in Cork will neuter and say from 12 weeks, depending on the size of the kitten, normally 16 weeks.
    Its better for the kitten to get it done early before they reach sexual maturity. My two are now nearly 18 weeks and I will be sending them in at 20 weeks all going well.
    A kitten can start going into heat as early as 16 weeks, esecially if theres any females in heat in your area. So always best to think ahead.

And good luck with the lil mite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

shnethb wrote: »

We want to keep him as a house cat so when do would it be ok to let him out on his own?

My guys 18 weeks old and only been letting him out recently- hes had a few mishaps but is ok

At what age should he get the snip?

6 months normally- but my guys 4 and a half months old and is getting the snip tomorrow as he matured faster

How long can he be left alone in the house for?

I only leave my guy for a few hours- first few weeks he will be freaked when you go- but now i dont even get a look when i go:Dthough you do get a hell of a welcome home:)

Is there any thing else that we should be thinking of? I know He needs his vaccines and wormed.

Insurance - worth it if something happens
    i got my guy a scratching post as he was ripping the crap out of my furniture
    lots of toys
    dont forget to get him deflead and get his ears cleaned
    keep an eye on his nails as if they grow in a curl can stick into him- my cat lets me do his- if yours will let you do his it will have you paying the vet to do it

But they are def worth it- my little guys a blessing:)

Thanks for your help [/quote]

Advertisement