Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free pdf software with search function?

• 02-09-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

I just downloaded Cute PDF as I had searched on this forum and it was recommended as an alternative to Adobe, but it seems you create your file on another program and then transfer it to Cute PDF via Print page?!.. I don't really get it :(

All I want to do is to be able to write info into a PDF and be able to search for specific words, as you can do easily on Adobe. But I don't have the Adobe software, I just have Reader, and I'm looking for free PDF that does this simple task. It's for my own use and not fussy about design, look, etc.

Has anybody any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Jesus, read over your post before hitting submit, I've no idea what you want.

I *think* you want something to create PDFs that have editable fields, is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Why don't you just create the document in Open Office Writer and then convert it to a PDF? There's very little free software out there for editing PDF's effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

snappieT wrote: »
    Jesus, read over your post before hitting submit, I've no idea what you want.

I *think* you want something to create PDFs that have editable fields, is this right?

Hm. Let me try again.

I'm trying to find a free PDF software program, such as Cute PDF, which functions in a similar way to AdobeAcrobat, where you can enter text and where there is a search function. I.E you enter in a word that you're looking for within that document and it throws you back the findings.

But maybe it's hard to source something like this.

eamon234 wrote: »
    Why don't you just create the document in Open Office Writer and then convert it to a PDF? There's very little free software out there for editing PDF's effectively.

I don't really need to do the editing in it, I just need to be able to put a load of text into the document, and then be able to search the document for specific words.

I can't seem to find a simple Search bar in MS Word, for within the one document.

Sorry if any more confusion, I'm explaining it the best I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

pog it wrote: »
    Hm. Let me try again.

I'm trying to find a free PDF software program, such as Cute PDF, which functions in a similar way to AdobeAcrobat, where you can enter text and where there is a search function. I.E you enter in a word that you're looking for within that document and it throws you back the findings.

But maybe it's hard to source something like this.
    CutePDF creates PDFs, not views them. If you want to just search for a word in a pdf document, Adobe Reader can do that, just hit Ctrl-F and type away.

Or do you want to create a pdf with a form field that users can type a search term into or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Foxit Reader

Has the search function your require.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

snappieT wrote: »
    CutePDF creates PDFs, not views them. If you want to just search for a word in a pdf document, Adobe Reader can do that, just hit Ctrl-F and type away.

Or do you want to create a pdf with a form field that users can type a search term into or something?
    I believe the OP just wants the search function like you say on Adobe (Ctl+F) but OP does not want to use Adobe.

Thank you! I will try out Foxit Reader.

SnappieT- I said specifically I wanted to add text into the PDF, and then search for specific words. By which I meant Create a NEW PDF and be able to search for specific words. Adobe Acrobat costs money and this is a one off so it isn't worth paying for. That's why I wanted something Other than Adobe, that was free.

I am not technically minded, clearly :) but thank you for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

pog it wrote: »
    I don't really need to do the editing in it, I just need to be able to put a load of text into the document, and then be able to search the document for specific words.

I can't seem to find a simple Search bar in MS Word, for within the one document.

Sorry if any more confusion, I'm explaining it the best I can.

If you have Word 2007, you can download a free add on from the Microsoft site that will convert your Word created document into Pdf - it operates from 'Save As' and you get the choice to 'Publish' it as a Pdf document (this just means that it gets saved again as a new Pdf in the same folder as the Word doc is, which you can then open with Acrobat reader to do whatever you want with).

Advertisement